Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL Transfers and Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

gimmick wrote:
    Correct me if Im wrong, but Cork City will be signing precisely no-one (apart from Liam Kearney, who has been a nobody for the last 18 months) before the season starts. Hope Im wrong, but if true, Rico will be gone by June. Who will replace him? I have no idea.

This "investor" isn't taking many risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

eirebhoy wrote:
    Great to see Byrne get off to a good start. If he's successful we're talking €1m for the next big player to break through in the EL.

Yes, we'll be talking about €1M, but I honestly doubt that's what it'll be offered. :(

I'd love to be wrong though......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This "investor" isn't taking many risks.

There is no "investor", there is however a takeover, which will be announced this week I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Zebra3 wrote:
    Yes, we'll be talking about €1M, but I honestly doubt that's what it'll be offered. :(

I'd love to be wrong though......
    Well clubs weren't going to "risk" big amounts on players just because one player, Doyle, proved himself in England in recent years. Doyle would almost certainly have went to get top scorer in the EL if Reading didn't come in for him. Byrne regularly scored over 20 goals in the league and if was to flop in England it wouldn't say much. If he went on to get 15-20 goals for Ipswich next season though it's a lot of proof that 20 EL goals in Ireland is worth a similar amount in the Championship. If a young player went on to score that amount next season I'm sure there'd be clubs willing to pay over €1m for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

eirebhoy wrote:
    Byrne regularly scored over 20 goals in the league and if was to flop in England it wouldn't say much. If he went on to get 15-20 goals for Ipswich next season though it's a lot of proof that 20 EL goals in Ireland is worth a similar amount in the Championship.

:confused:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ipswich, Cardiff - All the same to me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Liam ''Juda$'' Kearney returns to his beloved Cork City from Shelbourne

Good riddance! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Bohs had a mini-press conference today, unveiling Heary and Fenn.
    You can see Heary resplendent in the black 'n' red in a video (large file) on the official site. :cool:

In: Heary, Neale Fenn, Darren Mansaram, Brian Murphy, Conor Rafferty and Liam Burns

In sights: Crowe, Davitt Walsh from Finn Harps, Harpal Singh and Chris Turner, David Howland, a midfielder, from Birmingham City. Four of those five should arrive this week

Out or possibly out: Matt Gregg is on his way to UCD, Shels are interested in Jason McGuinness and Shamrock Rovers are keen on Barry Ferguson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

SectionF wrote:
    Shels are interested in Jason McGuinness

Good one there man.

If we could afford to pay our own players it'd be a start, never mind signing anyone else.

Anyway, there's talk of a transfer embargo on the club until all players are paid back-wages.

Jason McGuinness - is that wishful thinking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Athlone Town in - Davy Byrne(wanted by 3 prem clubs!),Mixie Harty, Colm Heffernan(wanted by 2 prem clubs),Ronan Frawley(wanted by 3 prem clubs),Paul McTiernan(wanted by 5 prem clubs) and Dave, O'Dowd.

Out of those, four of them were wanted by or offered contracts by premiership clubs, but chose Athlone and the other two are very good players!

Athlone Town out - Tom Silke (released), Padraic Moran (retired),Robby Forde (released), Zolts Pedro(SP? Released), Gavin Fortune (Released THANK GOD!), Damien Rush (Released, moved to Australia, may be back in august) and Kevin Williamson (dunno what happened there, liked willo!).

Current Squad looks like this
    Davy Byrne, Adrian Carberry, Steve Feeney, Declan Fallon, Ronan Frawley, Steven Gavin, Robbie Hamm, Mixie Harty, Colm Heffernan, Des Hope, Istvan Lakatos, Eric Lavine, Brian McCarthy, Noel McGee, Paul McTiernan, Dave, O'Dowd, Danny O'Leary, Ian Rossiter, Carmine Russo, Stephen Ryan, Jim Sheridan and Mark Sherlock.

seansouth wrote:

Good one there man.

If we could afford to pay our own players it'd be a start, never mind signing anyone else.

Anyway, there's talk of a transfer embargo on the club until all players are paid back-wages.

Jason McGuinness - is that wishful thinking?
    From the Mirror...

Start spreadin' the news...
    Crowe to Bohs looks like a done deal, with a press conference early next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

SectionF wrote:
    Start spreadin' the news...
    Crowe to Bohs looks like a done deal, with a press conference early next week.

He's been training with Bohs for the last week I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Rogers signed for Derry City (wanted 3k off pats :eek: )
    Harris gone to dunfermline, dunno if any cash involved.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Richie Baker has joined Drogheda United from Shelbourne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Richie Baker has joined Drogheda United from Shelbourne

really???? i didnt hear anything i have been on the beer for the past few days he will be a good squad player

So Drogs insane campaign of signing everyone goes on. How will they pay for all those wages? Let alone keep everyone happy? With a good manager maybe, but Doolin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

redzerdrog wrote:
    really???? i didnt hear anything i have been on the beer for the past few days he will be a good squad player
    It's on your official site.

Also says he's likely to be the last signing, of this window.

gimmick wrote:
    So Drogs insane campaign of signing everyone goes on. How will they pay for all those wages? Let alone keep everyone happy? With a good manager maybe, but Doolin?

A hint jealousy maybe............
    Doolo must be doing a good job so far of keeping players happy and paying wages as none of our players have jumped ship over the winter;)

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote:
    Doolo must be doing a good job so far of keeping players happy and paying wages as none of our players have jumped ship over the winter;)
    You could have said the same thing about Shels these past three seasons though couldn't you?

redzerdrog wrote:

I just dont rate Doolin as a manager at all. He had arguably the strongest squad at his disposal last season, and was very lucky to finish 3rd IMO. I dont honestly think he is a good enough manager to win trophies on a consistent basis.

With regard the players, well they will be happy as long as they are collecting wages every week.

... official.
    Bohs also chasing Kyle Moran (ex ManU) and still signing Chris Turner from (Sligo) Rovers.

Will you be getting your 'Judas' flag out then?

Oh no, he's the prodigal son isn't he, sure yiz never abused him in the first place.

How long before yiz are calling for Connors' head by the way? Month? Two?

seansouth wrote:

Oh no, he's the prodigal son isn't he, sure yiz never abused him in the first place.

I'm getting my Judas flags and flares out for Crowe and Heary now! :mad:

seansouth wrote:

Days.

I just dont rate Doolin as a manager at all. He had arguably the strongest squad at his disposal last season, and was very lucky to finish 3rd IMO. I dont honestly think he is a good enough manager to win trophies on a consistent basis.

I agree with that, we lost to drogs twice 1st time they went all pro 1 shot in 90th minute and won the game, 2nd time they played for a few minutes and we threw everything at them lost 2-1, then we hammered them 3-0 and this vs a pro team who made a point of being "pro" and fit.

Drogs had a league winning side just not the manager to go with it, they bettered it this time but with poorer competiton i think they might sneak it.

kdjac

seansouth wrote:

No. All friends again! :D
    How long do you think did Gareth Farrelly last in the Bohs job? Hint: year? two? more?
    This myth was exploded in a thread on foot.ie, but you probably know that.

SectionF wrote:
    No. All friends again! :D
    How long do you think did Gareth Farrelly last in the Bohs job? Hint: year? two? more?

You coudlnt afford to sack him then when you could you did :confused: Whats your point? :D

kdjac

doolin has got a fair few doubters in the town aswell and a lot of people were disappoined with last years league performance but he did bring us the FAI cup and the setanta cup. There is not many better than him within the league atm maybe only fenlon so in doolo we trust:)

Better managers than Doolin in the eL?

Rico
    Fenlon
    Matthews (negative as he is, he has done well with very limited resources)
    Mahon
    Scully

Ah screw it, I just dont like the guy :p

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    Ah screw it, I just dont like the guy :p
    Nah, you just don't like Co. Louth.

SectionF wrote:
    I didn't - I don't frequent that particular festering hole.

Alan Bennett signed for Reading last night for an 'undisclosed fee'. Reading between the lines that menas we got screwed again. Though Errortel and the Reading website are saying its a figure of stg £250k plus clauses where applicable.

Gutted to see him go, but we cannot hope to compete with the Premiership. He is a great player, and obviously needs to further his career by moving over. Best centre half in the eL for the last few years. Dead nice guy as well. Wonder how long it will take Stan to come calling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Probably give him 5 games in the Premiership and he will magically be good enough for Stan

Pats re-sign Mulcahy on a one year deal, get into the Setanta Cup and possibly Europe, Carlsberg dont do tuesdays?? eh???

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Athlone Sign 3 more.

www.athlonetownfc.com
    MICHAEL O'CONNOR has concluded his close-season dealings by adding another three players to his 2007 Athlone Town squad.

O'Connor has agreed deals with goalkeeper Ciaran Kelly, and defenders Darren Young and Luke Hardy.

Ciaran Kelly joins from Castlebar Celtic, but has previously played with Sligo Rovers and Derry City in the eircom League. The Mayo native spent two seasons at the Showgrounds before moving to the Brandywell and Premier Division football in 2004.

Darren Young was born in Whitehaven in England, but has represented New Zealand from underage level up to Under-20, winning 20 caps at Under-20. He can play at left back, left midfield or centre midfield. He played with Waterford United in the Premier Division last season, and has also played with Limerick FC.

Luke Hardy left Welsh Premier League side Carmarthen Town after two seasons to make the move to Ireland at the end of the 2005/06 season. He has experience of playing in Europe when Carmarthen faced up to one of Athlone Town's former European Cup opponents FC Copenhagen, in the UEFA Cup Second Qualifying Round in 2005. Carmarthen beat Longford Town 5 - 3 on aggregate in the First Qualifying Round.

Speaking to athlonetownfc.com, Michael O'Connor said, "That's Athlone finished signings players now. We have our squad complete and I'm very happpy with what we have.

"With Ciaran signing, we now have two very good keepers, both very experienced. Darren can play anywhere on the left and Luke on the right. Then you have Colm Heffernan who can play on either side. We have cover everywhere really. I'm extremely happy with what we have and am looking forward to getting the season off to a start," he concluded.

The Athlone Town Squad for 2007 is: Davy Byrne, Adrian Carberry, Steve Feeney, Declan Fallon, Ronan Frawley, Steven Gavin, Robbie Hamm, Luke Hardy, Mixie Harty, Colm Heffernan, Des Hope, Ciaran Kelly, Istvan Lakatos, Eric Lavine, Brian McCarthy, Noel McGee, Paul McTiernan, Dave, O'Dowd, Danny O'Leary, Ian Rossiter, Carmine Russo, Stephen Ryan, Jim Sheridan and Mark Sherlock, Darren Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Athone are a decent bet for the first Division at this stage but I can't find any bookmaker with a book open on it.

Pats on trial with Sunderland morrow afternoon along with Rovers next week (but its professional training for Rovers not a mas trial :D )

Pats have Ryan Guy on trial atm an MLS player who got the cheap ass roster contract so trying his luck in Europe (would imagine a few more will follow as lots of MLS players got wage cuts to pay Beckham :) )

Robbie Ryan to play for Pats morrow vs Sunderland, spoke with pats last week but could also be on trial with sunderland.

kdjac

Bohs still looking to sign two more -- midfield and defender. Mid: Chris Turner (Sligo says No). David Howlan of Birmingham also an option. Defence: Ben Turner (Coventry City loan). more

• Advertisement

Gareth Farrelly has signed for Cork City.

Colin Healy to give a decision tonight as to whther he will sign.

David Hopkin formerly of Everton could be signing today. He is a 19 y/o striker, suppoosedly with Waterford for the latter part of last season. Never heard of him.

Dave Warren and Darren Murphy of Cobh expected to sign as well. Warren is a quality player, and if he goes full time with City, he will make an impact. Likewise Murphy, many say he was about the best cntre half in divion 1 last season.

Darragh Ryan of UCD being mentioned also, but Im not sure if this is true.

Farrelly is a good player but injury prone.

If we got Healy it would be great.

Good to see Warren back at City. Hopefully he signs fulltime. Was very good when he got the opportunities under Liam Murphy but Dolan didnt seem to fancy him.

Did he get a double hatrick in a game last season/or season before?

Don't know anything about Hopkins:confused: , but didnt know about the "Cockney Rebel" Either.

Farrelly is a decent player, always played well vs us and scored a some cracking goals. A slower replacement for George, good to see some signings in Cork altho would have prefered if you waited a few weeks :p

Robbie Ryan travelled to Sunderland with Pats yesterday but didnt play*. Will be talking with Pats again this weekend.

*His mate who i work with fran btw (nice guy,used to play for pats schoolboys) told me this in case anyone wondering how i know this, its also on the pats website.

kdjac

farrelly is a good signing he might be a bit lazy but is a very handy EL player.

Mark leech should be on his way to galway soon enough thats if he hasnt talked himself out of the move by going to the papers like a spoilt brat and slating Doolo

redzerdrog wrote:
    farrelly is a good signing he might be a bit lazy but is a very handy EL player.

Mark leech should be on his way to galway soon enough thats if he hasnt talked himself out of the move by going to the papers like a spoilt brat and slating Doolo
    Farrelly is a skilled player and effective when he's up for it, which is about three 20-minute passages in the course of a season.
    What did Leech say?

it was in one of the sunday papers a few weeks back he was basically giving out that the club are looking for a fee for him and saying the club are going out of there way to make things a difficult as possible.
    He says it is because doolin holds a grudge against him because he told him to **** off after one of the derry maches last season and says doolin hasnt given him a fair chance.
    but the interview backfired and made him look like a right twat and a spoilt brat.

• Advertisement

Cork City being linked with Neil Mellor on a loan deal from Preston. Can't actually see this one coming to pass though. The story has come from the Liverpool Post. Great if it does, but I'll not be holding my breath.

Darren Murphy from Cobh has signed for City.

Darragh Ryan and Paul Hopkin both trained with City again today.

Worryingly, City are being linked with Paul Devlin! Bit old I would have thought.

City reject, Greg O Halloran is on his way to Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I cant believe people think Farelly is a good signing, hes like a lazy far less talented version of Paul Byrne. Someone on the Bohs mb said it best, he'll start the season first choice, become an impact sub and be turfed out by Rico by the end of the season.

One of the clubs he was on trial with, Blackpool I think let him go as he wanted to get fit at his own pace and they didnt want to wait around, he is going to live in England and fly over for matches, expect him to cry off 30%+ of matches with injuries the physios wont find and chances are he'll never regain full fitness.

bohsman wrote:

he is going to live in England and fly over for matches, expect him to cry off 30%+ of matches with injuries the physios wont find and chances are he'll never regain full fitness.

he is not going to be based in England, he is moving to Cork to the best of my knowledge.

Re the 2nd part, well that remains to be seen. He has a good team around him this time, so he might fare better.

Neil Mellor coming to city is a strange one.:eek:

ork City Football Club are very pleased to announce that terms have been agreed with former Celtic and Sunderland midfielder Colin Healy for a 2 year contract with the club.

26 year old Healy, who has 13 caps for the Republic of Ireland, expressed his delight at joining the Rebel Army. Healy told CorkCityFC.ie “I have been very impressed with the organisation and ambition displayed by everyone at Cork City over the last few weeks and I look forward to joining such a wonderfully vibrant football club.”

Manager Damien Richardson said “It is a great pleasure to welcome Colin on board. It is a great compliment to our football club and to the league that a player of his calibre has decided to join. Allied to the signings of Gareth Farrelly and Darren Murphy, this has been a most productive week for Cork City Football Club.

Richardson also confirmed to CorkCityFC.ie that he hopes that there will be further additions to the squad by the end of the week.

http://www.corkcityfc.ie

Cork conintue their mega signing spree.

Cork now have the best Central Midfield in the league (heh beat you to it Gimmick :p ) Altho thats probably be on paper and if both fit, so who are the other CMFs we will see play most of the season.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement