Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linksys WRT54G and NTL - connection is forever dropping!

• 18-11-2006 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I have NTL working with my Linksys WRT54G on my desktop PC however after about a day the connection drops and I have to bypass the router and connect direct to the modem to get an internet connection. If I connect up the Linksys again later in the day it works again but connection drops later on

on a side note the wireless signal is constantly weak or disconnected with my laptop and rarely works - could this be the wireless adapter or more likely the router?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

anybody???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

How is your router getting an IP address? Open up 192.168.1.1 [by default]. Unfortunately, I don't know NTL's settings. Perhaps just use 'automatic configuration'. Have you tried plugging out your router for around thirty seconds and then plugging it back in? Doing this has cured some small issues I had before.

Also, when you connect directly to the modem, I take it the connection is pretty much as stable as can be [just to rule it out as being the problem]. Have you contacted NTL? They may offer some insight. It would be great to know if anyone else in your area is experiencing such problems with their connection. I'd suggest you also upgrade the firmware on the router if you haven't already done so.

In relation to the wireless, how far away is your laptop from the router? Does your laptop have a wireless adapter built in or are you using a dongle/PCMCIA card? As you probably know, metal objects, walls [and practically everything else] blocks and absorbs that all-too-precious wifi signal. Expect to have some patches of no signal at all at home. If the neighbours have wireless too, check what channel is being used. Even a microwave, cordless phone or video sender could be causing you the grief with the dogdy wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

okcomputer wrote:
    I have NTL working with my Linksys WRT54G on my desktop PC however after about a day the connection drops and I have to bypass the router and connect direct to the modem to get an internet connection. If I connect up the Linksys again later in the day it works again but connection drops later on

I started experiencing the same issue (with the same hardware) immediately after receiving a letter from NTL to say I was going over my download cap. I suspect that they have their system configured to monitor for excessive levels of BT/HTTP/FTP traffic, the result being a sort of temporary ban. It probably works when you connect directly from your PC to the NTL modem because you're coming from a different MAC address.
    okcomputer wrote:
    on a side note the wireless signal is constantly weak or disconnected with my laptop and rarely works - could this be the wireless adapter or more likely the router?

I never had a problem with the router, so could it be some form of interference from another microwave source? I posted a question about this earlier today.

D.

Advertisement