Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

introducing a cat and dog

Options
  • 18-11-2006 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me any advice on introducing a dog to a cat. We have had the dog for about 1 and a half years and got a kitten two days ago. The kitten seems relaxed in the kitchen and we have a gate put up between the kitchen and the rest of the house so the dog can't get near him but the dog (cavalier King Charles aged Two) is very agitated and barking at the cat through the gate. We only let him seethe cat for about ten minutes at a time but my goal is to take the gate doown eventually and we all live in harmony.......well at least the cat and dog! Any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

That's pretty much the way to do it. Make sure the cat is kept at a distance from the dog until the dog gets used to the cat being around. It's really important that you keep an eye on the two of them, because a kitten is very vulnerable. I once had a new kitten, and I forgot to keep its cage locked. I came back in a few hours and my dog had gotten in and killed her. So it's VERY important that u keep an eye on them.

Once it's grown it should be big enough to take care of itself, but by that stage the dog will have accepted that the cat is a part of the house anyway. It shoudn't even take too long. When the dog relaxes you might try letting the two of them be in the same room. It'll work out as long as you can see what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You are going about it in the right way. They are both in a controlled environment and exposed to each other enough for the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've had to do this a few times, it can take a while but they'll eventually become friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Just make sure that when the gate comes down the cat has somewhere to get away from the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

And for now, give the dog more attention than the cat!
    The introduction of the cat has to seem like a great idea to the dog.
    When you do introduce them distract the dog with affection and for a few days make the cat "background noise" to him.

Worked for us with our two years ago, they ended up inseperable :)
    I think the important thing is making sure the cat is independant enough when you introduce them, and has a place she knows she can go to to get out of reach of the dog.
    In my experience, most cats inside a house situation become boss whenit comes to doggies, those claws are sharp and sting, not somthing most dogs want to experience twice ;)

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's going well and i feel very reassured.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not wanting to hijack this thread or anything, but would there be any significant difference between this procedure and that of introducing a new puppy to two resident cats (both 4 year old females if that's important)?

EDIT: I should add that this is purely hypothetical at this stage. I'm not even sure if both our cats would accept a dog at all. One of them probably would be OK with it, but the other is a shy, nervous thing and would probably leave home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

my two dogs & cat all sleep in the dog box together & play together..

Never found introducing to be any problem at all..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

And for now, give the dog more attention than the cat!
    The introduction of the cat has to seem like a great idea to the dog.
    When you do introduce them distract the dog with affection and for a few days make the cat "background noise" to him.

Worked for us with our two years ago, they ended up inseperable :)
    I think the important thing is making sure the cat is independant enough when you introduce them, and has a place she knows she can go to to get out of reach of the dog.
    In my experience, most cats inside a house situation become boss whenit comes to doggies, those claws are sharp and sting, not somthing most dogs want to experience twice ;)

B
    I took your advice when I 1st introduced the 2 kittens I rescued and you told me the kittens would be the boss!How right you were,I did everything you advised and everything has worked out a treat.
    Thank you Frankfurter;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 condor

I don't have much experience this way around, but I have had a cat for about a year and a half and only recently got a chihuahua puppy.
    And I can't say that there were any problems. The cat actually takes care of the dog now and is babysitting him when I'm not there.
    They are playing together real nice. No problems there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Aww thanks BB, im so glad to hear it went well. Gives me warm fuzzies to know what I suggested worked, in my head its always just common sense, experiences & research, but often getting the ideas *out* of my head isn't so easy lol ;)

B

Advertisement