Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best club in Cork?

Options
  • 18-11-2006 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Righto, whats the best club in your opinion? I'm sick of clubbing and fecking Havanas but I still say Havanas is the best of a bad lot.
    What is the classic like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

My friends appartment DRINKKLUB

The first rule of DRINKKLUB
    it's open allnight long!!:cool: :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Sure, they're all shíte.

The ones I've been to include:
    Redz (shíte)
    One (Those were the days)
    Rafterz (shíte)
    Fast Eddies (shíte)
    Cubans (I've only been there once and had a fantastic night, but I think that was more due to who I was with)
    Savoy (Shíte and too big)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

The Qube/Works is alright....but I haven't been to The Classic yet.

Cranelane Theatre is nice, more of a late bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Faith wrote:
    Sure, they're all shíte.

The ones I've been to include:
    Redz (shíte)
    One (Those were the days)
    Rafterz (shíte)
    Fast Eddies (shíte)
    Cubans (I've only been there once and had a fantastic night, but I think that was more due to who I was with)
    Savoy (Shíte and too big)

100% agreed .. They all suck :(

The Cranelane is ok, not a club though ... I think i might be getting old :) I remember, Sir Henrys, Club Chaos and Mollies (Where bar rumba is now)

I went to this place in Berlin
    http://www.funktion-one.com/Berghain_Germany_Mondo.htm

It opened at 11pm and closed at 8pm the following day, ... i can't even begin to explain what it was like, all i can say is Irelland is a NANNY state. We left at 7am and there was a queue 1km long !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

No my friend, Sir Henrys and Gorbys. Now those were the days!
    Man thats swinging both ways?
    Ah Henrys bliss! Jack Plugs too:)

All in all, good clubs in Cork = few and faw between IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Daveyhaha

Ah the memories. Mollies was last around when i was in first year of college. And gorby's was the place of dreams. I remember they had the Soviet memorbilia under the counter too. And you'd always end up with some young one just as off her head as you'd be.....the good ole days before responsibility.

Anyway, i've been to the classic a few times, and i have to say i've been well impressed. Excellent door staff, excellent batr staff, anmd all round very professionally run. Good smoking area also, where i can usually be found. Alwasy a good atmosphere too.

I wouldnt go near Cubins again if paid to do so. A friend of mine had the **** kicked out of him by the bouncers there for no reason. I think he is going for a law suit so i cant reveal any details. SDuffice to say that i know from inside sources that a large number of the door staff from Cubins are not allowed into certain other clubs in Cork. And i used to go to Cubins all the time.

Anyway, i'd say Havanas or The Classic, and if ya cant go to either of them go to a late bar and save yourself the money and the hassel

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don't mention the loss of Henry's to me. I really haven't been the same person since it closed its doors. A little part of me died that day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

craichoe wrote:
    100% agreed .. They all suck :(

The Cranelane is ok, not a club though ... I think i might be getting old :) I remember, Sir Henrys, Club Chaos and Mollies (Where bar rumba is now)

I went to this place in Berlin
    http://www.funktion-one.com/Berghain_Germany_Mondo.htm

It opened at 11pm and closed at 8pm the following day, ... i can't even begin to explain what it was like, all i can say is Irelland is a NANNY state. We left at 7am and there was a queue 1km long !
    and bar rhumba has been changed yet again sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Best pub in cork has only opened in the past few weeks, and is in my humble opinion, leaving the competition in a trail of dust. the crane lane is a welcome break from the sardine tin that is the brog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

for the best club in cork its gotta b the one where there are as many bouncers as staff, where bulmers is the most popular drink and where the dresscode is authentically chav, its gotta be MANGANS boi!!

but seriously im too young to have experienced sir henrys and all that and granted clubs in this city are pretty ****ty but i think cork is the only city i know where nostalgia for old clubs and scenes completly overshadows any new club,any discussion of this sort is almost always overtaken by sir henrys,it can be seen on this thread and check out the PROC where every thread ever started on it descends into a eulogy of how great sir henrys was.like get over it....it was just a club......(im probably gonna get lynched for that!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

No my friend, Sir Henrys and Gorbys. Now those were the days!

T.Sc.

18 year olds in Cork now have no idea :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

You could stick on 96fm in most of the Clubs and people wouldn't notice the different ....

Such greats as "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" and wierd RandB stuff, don't get me wrong, its not that i don't like R&B, its just their playing stuff that isn't really R&B and calling it that :D

Nah, if you want to go to a proper club go to Germany, the downside is you'll find it depressing to go out in cork :(

Club Berghain, Berlin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCzhfQKPKw

Theres LOADS of other clubs, everything from trance, hard dance, house, techno, r&b, reggae... the list goes on.

Seriously, if you want a good time, fly direct from cork or dublin direct with Aerlingus and spend about half as much as you would for a weekend in dublin.

Flights, Accomodation (Nice apartment) for 5 days, including food, drink and whatever cost be around 500 euros. Eight of us went :D

If you can, go home on a sunday as nothing is open anyway ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Try the club nights at the Everyman Palace Theatre, Friday Nights it's "KICKBACK" and Saturday's it's "MVM". (Look up Everyman website, late night entertainment section - so you see what the clubs are like). But I too loved "Henry's", "Zowies" (of course I'm old enough to have danced around "Coco's", "Squires" and the original "Redz" and many other late night wine bar/clubs that haven't existed since the late 80's. The days when Cork had a Leeson Street type thing going on. Now they were the days........ Ah, memories. And after years of London Clubbing and Gigs - I reckon those 2 Club Nights in the Everyman are the best for a real mixed age, music atmosphere. Give it a shot - and on a Friday night the cocktails are lethal.

Hey anyone out there remember the original Spiders??? What about dancing in the Arc when results were out??? There must be a few of you of appreciative years. Come to think of it, I suppose most on this site would have been conceived after their parents hit those clubs.

I'll shut up now..................... time for Sense and Sensibility! J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Actually, it was all **** then too... but no one realised it at the time :D Rose-tinted glasses do amazing things, don't they?!

Me, I haven't been to a 'nightclub' in Cork for the past ten years :)
    Judes wrote:
    Try the club nights at the Everyman Palace Theatre, Friday Nights it's "KICKBACK" and Saturday's it's "MVM". (Look up Everyman website, late night entertainment section - so you see what the clubs are like). But I too loved "Henry's", "Zowies" (of course I'm old enough to have danced around "Coco's", "Squires" and the original "Redz" and many other late night wine bar/clubs that haven't existed since the late 80's. The days when Cork had a Leeson Street type thing going on. Now they were the days........ Ah, memories. And after years of London Clubbing and Gigs - I reckon those 2 Club Nights in the Everyman are the best for a real mixed age, music atmosphere. Give it a shot - and on a Friday night the cocktails are lethal.

Hey anyone out there remember the original Spiders??? What about dancing in the Arc when results were out??? There must be a few of you of appreciative years. Come to think of it, I suppose most on this site would have been conceived after their parents hit those clubs.

I'll shut up now..................... time for Sense and Sensibility! J

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

"Wine tinted" vision more like - but they don't have the same kind of "scene" now - I'm talking the late night/early morning clubs/wine bars - hidden down back alllies - where you could enter the premises at about 02.30 - and stay until breakfast time - drinking absolutely crap wine at horrendous prices, the good wine was the deposit for a house!!! tAfter the late sessions, strolling into Jury's Hotel for breakfast........ ahhhhh. I'm not aware of anywhere like that now - "Sables" was down Pembroke Street, there was a place somewhere near Academy Street and another one off Washington Street. (I'm talking mid/late eighties).

Also, you could enter a bar/club then and you knew nearly everyone in there, so it always felt like a party atmosphere. My "younger" friends say they don't get that atmosphere out there now.

So, I'll keep my happy memories - it will help me in years to come when I'm on my rocking chair (motorised, of course). J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Ah Gorbys. The nights with the fresh sawdust were the best. Pull some norry girl. Do your best to look casual as you flick through the norry-to-english dictionary.
    Henry's had its class too. Never any trouble getting in or getting served. Every now and again you had to wipe sweat from your brow that had dripped from the ceiling. :)

To answer the original question, club-wise Cork sucks, but Havana's and Classic seem to be the best of a bad lot.

Its also interesting to note how many people have had trouble with the Cubans bouncers. I always get in, but someone in my group invariably gets stopped.
    Soberness still firmly gripping us, we merely want to cut ourselves free from its ascetic shackles, yet we are thwarted.
    'Not tonight lads'.

What in hell is wrong with that club? Do they think they are more exclusive than Havanas? How ridiculous is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

what IS the story with cork??? its meant to be the home of house music in ireland. started in ucc in october, and i have to say im very disappointed, anyone know any bars with a dj, playing anything housey at all? was in college in tralee for two years before i found a nice spot that played chilled house after a live band saturday nites, was called the brogue, (theyve got an 'old oak' there aswell). dont want to be living in cork another four years, only to find there was a place that was heaven for me, only i never knew about it

ive found fast eddies on a friday, and i like it, anything harder would be too hard, (tho' i have been known to enjoy a bit of DnB), might try the everyman the next friday im down, bit of soul/funk, im scepitical, but ill give it a go

all i want is a nice bit of music, and to have a bit of a dance, shouldnt really be that hard, should it???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

I was in the Classic on Stephen's Night and there was a Dj playing what I presume is house/RnB.. it was basically dance music but not too hard, and my mate playing along on the sax (not that many people noticed him, but it sounded great!). A couple of supremely hot guys in there too if that floats your boat...

My only "brush" with Sir Henry's was an ex-friend who turned out to be a complete basket-case because of over-indulgance back in the day. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

... so there WAS a guy playing a sax. I wasnt sure if i was remembering that correctly :rolleyes:

Advertisement