Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car damaged in carpark

Options
  • 18-11-2006 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I was in Nutgrove Shopping Centre earlier today and when I returned to the car, I didn't notice anything wrong. However this evening when I went to open the paseesnger door, I noticed the wing is badly damaged around the wheel arch.

What should I do?
    Is there any point contacting Nutgrove to see if they have cameras where I was parked? Would the gardai be able to do anything if I know one who works in the area?

Its really annoying!!
    Thanks for advice!
    JJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Check the Centre for cameras if they have any covering the area you could ask for help.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Jacob55 wrote:
    I was in Nutgrove Shopping Centre earlier today and when I returned to the car, I didn't notice anything wrong. However this evening when I went to open the paseesnger door, I noticed the wing is badly damaged around the wheel arch.

What should I do?
    Is there any point contacting Nutgrove to see if they have cameras where I was parked? Would the gardai be able to do anything if I know one who works in the area?

Its really annoying!!
    Thanks for advice!
    JJ

they will have notices around the carpark saying the carpark takes no responsiblity for damages. You cannot do much, except check the cameras and go through the guards if you get a reg plate and can get proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jacob55 wrote:

What should I do?

Its really annoying!!
    Thanks for advice!
    JJ

Definately get in contact with the shopping centre owners to see if there is any camera footage. If there is and the reg of the car doing the damage is identified on the tape you can then take it to the garda and they can follow up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazz26 wrote:
    take it to the garda and they can follow up on it.
    Realistically though, the Gardai are never really interested in any accident which involves material damage only (unless they witness it themselves). They will just tell you to go to your insurance company. If someone had been injured it would be a different matter.

I know it may sound harsh, but you should just put it down to bad luck. You will only annoy yourself trying to chase it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭BarryM3

The guards won't give you the time of day..Even if you give them the video/reg.......Sad but true.

If you do have conclusive evidence, I would then contact a solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

BarryM3 wrote:
    The guards won't give you the time of day..Even if you give them the video/reg.......Sad but true.

It is a civil matter between two people rather than criminal matter. If a person has the reg, they have the identity of the car owner and they can take it from there themselves. The gardaí are not really required in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

maidhc wrote:
    It is a civil matter between two people rather than criminal matter. If a person has the reg, they have the identity of the car owner and they can take it from there themselves. The gardaí are not really required in the process.

But is leaving the scene of an accident not a criminal offence? Therefore the Gardai should be of assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Del2005 wrote:
    But is leaving the scene of an accident not a criminal offence? Therefore the Gardai should be of assistance.
    I think the guards would only be interested if someone was hurt at the scene.

Try get the reg from the video or even better a copy of the video of the accident and contact your insurance or a solicitor.

Realistically though, the Gardai are never really interested in any accident which involves material damage only (unless they witness it themselves). They will just tell you to go to your insurance company. If someone had been injured it would be a different matter.

I know it may sound harsh, but you should just put it down to bad luck. You will only annoy yourself trying to chase it up.

But surely you will need the Gardai to trace the registered owner if the registration of the offending car has been identified? The OP surely would not be able to trace the owner of the car by themselves?

Once that is done then it would become a civil matter between the OP and the owner of the offending car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    But surely you will need the Gardai to trace the registered owner if the registration of the offending car has been identified? The OP surely would not be able to trace the owner of the car by themselves?

Once that is done then it would become a civil matter between the OP and the owner of the offending car.

No, any person on showing reasonable cause can get the identity of a car owner from a licencing authority (I'll look up the precise statute if someone needs it). It doesn't require the gardaí at all, which is wrong really as I am aware of several cases where stalkers and general busybodies availed of this provision.

As for leaving the scene of an accident, it is vague, and the statute seems to suggest the smaller the accident the less time the driver has to wait. I doubt if it is a criminal offence to drive off after scraping another car, despite the obnoxiousness of doing so.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    No, any person on showing reasonable cause can get the identity of a car owner from a licencing authority (I'll look up the precise statute if someone needs it). It doesn't require the gardaí at all, which is wrong really as I am aware of several cases where stalkers and general busybodies availed of this provision.

Thanks Maidhc, I didn't think the public could get that information from the licencing authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Actually, I got help from the Gardai before in a similar situation.

I had to do most of the leg work for them, but it got sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jacob55

The shopping centre got back to me and unfortunately their cctv cameras didn't catch anything! So I guess that is the end of it! I'll have to get my cheque book out n get it fixed :mad:
    Thanks for all your help and advcie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I've had damage done to my car in Nutgrove and they're useless buggers there for offering any assistance. It's much safer to park in the council estate and walk.

Chalk it up to experience and park elsewhere!

Like a lot of shopping centres it seems that once people drive into the carpark any prior knowledge of careful driving is out the door.

Advertisement