Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logitech X 540

• 18-11-2006 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

I saw these today in a shop, I wanted them for my DVD player ,

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=12254

my question is , is this "Matrix mode" true 5.1 surround sound ?
    my DVD player has 2 stereo output but can output DTS 5.1 sound
    through the Co-AX cable, so if this has a co -ax connection , will it play
    back TRUE 5.1 surround sound ?

If not can someone recommend a good similiar price set of speakers that would ?
    or do I need an AMP as well to properly split the signal ?
    cheers

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

No these speakers will not give you proper 5.1 sound, you'd need a dvd player with 6 channel output, not just 2

You basically need three things. Dvd player, surround decoder & amplifier/speakers

the surround decoder is usually built into the dvd player or built into the amplifier

Cheapest easy solution is probably to buy a home cinema system, that way you have one remote and it's easy to set up. Start at about 100euro, might want to invest a bit more for better sound experience. I'd recommend getting a system with a stereo input that will link to your stereo tv/vcr to give you upmixed surround sound for your tv viewing too

There are numerous other types of setup and arrangments to get surround sound though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

ok, my DVD player has 2 output but has a co-ax output with DTS,
    so I need an amp to split it into true 5.1 surround before outputting it to speakers right ?

ok just making sure.... I´ll leave it for now untill i get a proper setup for my living room..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

the co-ax(rca) output you describe, is probably a digital output, so yes you need an amp that will decode this or convert it to 5.1 channels. A speaker set or amp with digital inputs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dkswoqud

I bought Logitech x-540 today. I was so happy and try to connect is with my hdtv but the cable wasn't right so I couldn't connect it. is there anyway to connect x 540 to hdtv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

These speakers are primarily intended for a pc , thats all , they have no digital input ,

If your TV has a stereo analog out , you can hook it up , and the speakers will do a pro logic effect on that , it is not real surround , just a matrix surround , a splitter cable is provided but you will have to buy a stereo RCA cable to hook your TV up to these

instructions are here ,

http://techgage.com/article/logitech_x-540_51_speakers/2

• Advertisement
Advertisement