Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed IP and BT BB

Options
  • 18-11-2006 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Does anybody know how to get a static IP or find an unused IP on the BT BB network? I run a servre and the DynDNS is p***ing me off:mad: .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You ring them up and pay a small extra to get static IP.

Paying for DNS is best done elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

From what I've heard and read here, you need a business package with BT to get a static IP. Things may have changed lately so you should ring and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sorry to bring up an old(ish) thread.

I have a broadband+voice bundle with BT at the moment and need a static IP.
    BT will only offere fixed IP to business customers still.

Does anyone know if any other provider will offer a static IP and residential phone bundles?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

BT will only give you a static IP if you have the Business package. I asked them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If your a user using a residential ISP and you need a static IP, remember one very important thing...you get what you pay for :)

If you want a ISP with all the perks like a static IP then go out and pay for a business package,

• Advertisement

@ kmick: Thanks but if you read the 3rd line in my post, thats what I already said. Hence why I posted in the first place.

@ Cabaal: Thanks. You're right, ya do get what ya pay for...but I am willing to pay for it! They just blankly won't offer it as an extra. :( I really don't want the hassle of moving packages again (and the 10days downtime). And if I do get a business broadband package, they won't offer me any residential phone services.

Still haven't received any callbacks either. It looks like I'll have to get a Business package in the end. Damn BT!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

dyndns no use to you?

Hi watty,

Unfortunately not. The company won't give me access to the server without a static IP. At the moment I VPN to work and then out from there. Its just dog slow and not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

If they had a spare desktop there you could use logmein.

Very fast.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a Home ISP so they don't have to offer it as an extra, its not worth the extra work and support calls it would cause, and I'm not just making this stuff up, I'm talking from experience here :)

While it is obviously useful for some people to have a static IP, the vast majority of people don't need one and don't understand much about it so its not worth fueling calls in relation to it.

• Advertisement

Sounds like I'll just have to sign up for a business package after all.

Thanks for your help guys. :)

I recommend BT Business, used it for 18 months and honestly can't fault it

Advertisement