Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Games Website online

Options
  • 18-11-2006 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey Guys

A new irish website has come online. Its one of my friends from work and its only online a few days, so big changes are sure to happen, he was hoping to get some feedback.

It can be found here

Post any comments here or in the feedback page on the site.

Its not finished yet so go easy :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭xbox360dublin

the site has now updated with a sales figures page in conjunction with next gen wars.

Sales Figures

This is updated every few minutes.

Again this is a new site so let him know what you think, and how he can improve it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i had a look at it last nite just to see how much the ps3 was getting is ass kicked and i saw a game name that sounded interesting it was GT Pro Series for the Wii and it was a link to gamespot...
    Thats my only complaint if you are going to link dont link to gamespot its a terrible site if your not registerd. Mabe link to the offical site of each game or mabe a popular fan site for each game? but not gamespot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Also, the green on green title gif is a little hard to read. Sorry to be picky :) And maybe green might be a bad colour. Granted, green for Ireland, but it's also green for xBox, so it kind of gives the impression of favouritism. But that's just me.

As you said, it's early days yet, but I'm liking what I see so far (except for the banner, mentioned above :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Its okay, Ill give you that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

no Pc section meh :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

We will be adding a PC section in a few weeks, just trying to get things off the ground at the minute! Plus the design will change, the site was literally put up for PR reps to see, give them an idea what we were about!

Changes will be made and new sections will be added, so any feedback or suggestions are greatly appreciate, even negative ones, we cant grow otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

site doesn't compare to 1up or gamespot (or any games news site that i regularly visit), design-wise anyway. but you've already got a competition from activision, without even owning a domain, so fair play

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the site design is very poor with some pages not even rendering correctly.
    check out page below where it just cuts off leaving a horrible white space at the bottom of most pages.
    http://www.nextgenireland.citymax.com/page/page/4061893.htm

There is no consistency in review scores with some games getting marked out of a percentage and some like 9.2 out of 10. Its either one format or the other, should not be both.

As stated by the poster above me the website so far doesnt come anywhere near the look and feel of established gamer websites such as ign, gamespot, eurogamer etc so it has along way to catch up before it will grab the attention of gamers who will constantly come back and visit the website.

However I realise the website is still only in the early working stages so maybe you plan to have it much better looking by the time everythings ready for a full launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

site doesn't compare to 1up or gamespot (or any games news site that i regularly visit), design-wise anyway.

thank god it doesn't look like either of them, they are sh1te, especially gamespot, way too much going on on every page, too much flash and pop ups and garbage basically

although i do enjoy 1up and ocassionaly gamespot i am not a fan of their web design, way too busy. The OP should aim to be like an iPod, simple, clean and easy to use.

I know adverts are needed to fund the whole thing but some gaming websites are destroyed by them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The design needs a awful lot of work, and the reviews do too. Not just writing style, but so far only 360 reviews and everything seems to be getting 9/10 (and 100% for GoW?). Positive reviews are good, but you have to be critical of the flaws in a game, if people only see super-positive reviews on a site they'll quickly be turned off and think it's just marketing or shilling.

Did you intend for the banner at the top to say Call of Duty 3? I looked at the site the other day and it had a logo. If that was intentional, I'd change that, I know you have a CoD3 competition but it seems more like a CoD fansite then or favouritism.

Of the most important things about news and review sites is that they should be unbiased. There's nothing really wrong with having a site that caters only to Xbox or Playstation, but be upfront about it, so people know what to expect.

• Advertisement

hey guys

thanks for this feedback.

Firstly, the COD logo will be changed, it just there for the competition.

We will be changing the format for the reviews, we are not only catering for XBOX360 but as its the only next gen console out, thats all we got, there will be wii reviews, ds, and psp reviews up shortly.

We will not be going for a look like gamespot, i know they are a huge site, but we just dont see the point, too much stuff going on at once to be honest!

The sections that are blank will soon contain content. The site is only online a few days! We had to put it online so the likes of activision, sega, nintendo ,and so on could see the site, they wouldnt send out review code until the seen the site.

In relation to competitions, we will have a sega competition next week for Sonic, and a Wii competition the week after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

you might want to have a look at the release dates page, the psp's line up looks very similar to the 360's :p
    and no game should ever get 100% as that means that there will never be a game better then it ever released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    and no game should ever get 100% as that means that there will never be a game better then it ever released

i hate that line....

So many websites feed that crap, why cant there be a 10/10? A game so perfect in its genre/format nothing else matches up to it so far.

Goldeneye 10/10 FPS N64
    Hl1 10/10 FPS PC
    Mario Kart 10/10 Driving Snes
    Ico/SOTC 10/10 Adventure PS2
    OOT 10/10 Adventure N64

To name but a few.. they are perfection in every way for their genre and system. Thats the goalposts in their respective genres and systems.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

10/10 can be used, but sparingly. Shouldn't be given out lightly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ri_Nollaig wrote:

No, it doesn’t. That idea is just plain silly. Not unlike scores, god help us all if people had to actually read reviews to find out what critics really think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wow that site looks like it's made by the producers of channel 6's Game on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What the hell's the point of having "Dublin - <date>" in front of everything? You don't want your stuff to LOOK like press releases do you?

i like the date on front of everything! thats one thing that wont change!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

i like the date on front of everything! thats one thing that wont change!
    The Date is fine. But why do you have the word Dublin preceding it?

• Advertisement

because thats where im from!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Do you need to tell us that at the opening of every news story? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The date in front of things is good, but ffs you dont have to write Dublin in front! Its an Irish site, we understand that already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lord Suave

I think you should change it to Dublin, Ireland just to avoid confusion.

hey, ok cool, listen i asked for your opinions so cool, i will remove the dublin from the news articles!

i want to make this site look at good as it can be in its early stages so keep the suggestions coming

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

hey, ok cool, listen i asked for your opinions so cool, i will remove the dublin from the news articles!

i want to make this site look at good as it can be in its early stages so keep the suggestions coming

I suggest hiring a web developer.

well i find it hard to take a suggestion from a guy with "NTL" in his username!
    seriously, if your not being helpful and just rude, then dont suggest anything!

but for people who entered the competition, the winners have been announced!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

well i find it hard to take a suggestion from a guy with "NTL" in his username!
    seriously, if your not being helpful and just rude, then dont suggest anything!

but for people who entered the competition, the winners have been announced!

What has my username got to do with anything?

I think hiring a web dev that knows what he's doing is good advice, and probably the most honest and helpfull advice you're going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

oh em ye i have a suggestion for your gaming site.

Have a pc gaming section maybe???

• Advertisement

there is a pc section coming, that was already covered in this thread

Advertisement