Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Games Website online

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Also, another suggestion. Buy a domain....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭xbox360dublin

i have bought a domain, its www.nextgenireland.com

just didnt bother changing the link here, they both work!

New competition online for rainbow six

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

First off, good luck with the new site. I hope it takes off for you in a big way.

However, I think that you have a great deal of work ahead of you. I can think of a few problems that need to be addressed ASAP. Please consider this constructive criticism.

**You really need someone with a good deal of web design experience and talent to help with the layout and visuals. The current design is horrendous - especially your website's banner. The whole thing looks tacky and unprofessional.

::Edit::

I notice you have done the same with the Rainbow Six banner as you did with COD3. Creating a banner above your websites name and in a larger font is very confusing. Initially, I actually thought I had entered some COD3/ Rainbow Six fanboy site.
    You are not advertising your website by highlighting a game title over your own. In fact, you really must be clear that the product you are selling is NextGenIreland.com and not a game. Businesses don't advertise a product at the expense of their own profile, you guys shouldn't either. Effectively what you are doing is covering up your logo for a game that people will lose interest in rapidly.

**I'm not sure if you are familiar with how research papers are normally laid out. Usually they begin with a concise summary and/ or abstract of the main findings/ facts of the paper. This make it easy to glance through and get a flavour of what's in-store. I would suggest that you do the same in your reviews. This may seem like odd advice, but as I casually glanced through some of the reviews, I was completely put off reading by the wall of text in front of my eyes.
    You need more structure - start with a short review, your rating and some nice screen shots. Something like this. In similar manner to the link, I would also suggest breaking the body of the text up into a number of pages for easy reading. Page 1 could be the summary, rating and images for the casual reader, Page 2 could be in-depth analysis and so on...

**Finally, I wasn't impressed with the high marks that ALL of the games have received. Giving EVERY game a rating of 9 and above completely devalues your rating system. As an example, if a reader had enough money to buy a game but had no idea which, they would look at the reviews to help decided (duh!). However, the fact that all the games are rated as 9+ wouldn't help him at all. I've often checked sites just to see what the top games are and then make a decision from there. As things stand, your site doesn't help at all.

Hope I haven't been too harsh.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭xbox360dublin

hey dude,

now that was fantastic. you put a lot of effort into what youve written about the site and i appreciate it. The banner and design is actually going to change, ive stated before that in order for PR companies to actually send stuff to review, i needed to have a site up and running. So the actual look will change!

What youve said about the review structure is fantastic, and extactly the kind of input i was looking for!

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

No probs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭realsubzero

just had another look at the site there:

www.nextgenireland.com <-- is this the same site??

cause it looks much different. while still has a long way to go
    its certainly looks much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I dont like the centre-aligned text, nor the fact that the text doesnt wrap around the images. Fix them two, remove one of the logos, and you're getting somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Where you have Xbox 360 etc.. should be under a title called news in my opinion so people can see that all those links go to news items about whichever console.

Then when you get the Wii etc.. do the same and create a Review section of links for Xbox 360 and Wii so users can easily navigate to the reviews for the console they want. This should link to a page which is sorted by release date but with an option to view it in A-Z order.

The top banner seems to take up way too much room for my liking (even though it looks good, maybe get rid of the cracked parts or make them smaller or something) and when I was reading a review, the score is at the bottom of the page and you should have it a little up so its easier to find and see. Maybe put it at the top of the review or have space below the score at the bottom of the page.

Also I'd split the reviews into two page so that the navigation links are always in view on the page as it is, once you go below navigation area, the page starts to be rendered wrong in Opera at least. You also don't want people scrolling forever and should just put in a page 2 button. Wouldn't be too much effort.

You have a problem on the right side of your banner when it stops being your banner there is a huge change in colour.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Advertisement