Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hob in kitchen island

Options
  • 18-11-2006 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Building house and thinking of putting hob in kitchen island. Good or bad idea? Would it add alot to cost of kitchen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm in the process of doing that. If you're having an island anyway the major additional cost is that of and island extractor fan. Even in the cheapest outlets they start at around €800 whereas the against the wall ones can be as cheap (and probably nasty) at €150.

I've sourced some which are newish on the market and instead of the huge glass and stainless steel jobs which you have to duct through the ceiling to the outside wall (another expense) these are ones which you just plug in (my electrician left a plug in the ceiling for the purpose and have a charcol filter which needs changing every 5 years (I think a new filter runs at €100) and hand down and look like lampshades. The one I'm going for looks exactly like a shiny bucket turned upside down hanging from a couple of chains. They're also much smaller than the traditional hooded extractor fan but with the same suction from an area wider than they are. They have different shapes and different prices.

Other than that I haven't come across any other hidden expense. Although a decent island in itself doesn't come cheap.

PM me if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Every 5 years? I'd say you'll need to change the filter every 12-18 months in my experience for it to be effective. Depends what you're cooking of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

We have a Hob in the centre Island and one thing I would strongly reccommend is not to have the grill/oven under it.

1) If the grill is on at the same time you are cooking - you get cooked with the heat
    2) Kids - ours are constantly trying to open the oven when its ona nd we have found plasic/dish cloths/wooden items in there as well.

Hope this helps.
    Trig

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We have our hob on the island. As said above we didn't put the oven under it.

I put in the hood myself, which I bought on ebay for about 400 euro, the same one here was starting at 799.

There is no extra real expense with the ducting to be honest, you put the hosing and run it between the ceiling joists to outside. The hosing costs about 20 euro.

This is what we bought.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BAUMATIC-BT82-1GL-STAINLESS-AND-GLASS-90cm-COOKER-HOOD_W0QQitemZ120052650141QQihZ002QQcategoryZ71253QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dordali

Thanks for advice. Wasn't planning on putting cooker or grill in. Just the hob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

yop wrote:
    you put the hosing and run it between the ceiling joists to outside.

Could that be a fire risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Could that be a fire risk?

Can't see why it would be a risk. It's only a vapour duct.

Condensation may be more of a problem with it though?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

No cannot see why, of course if you have a tear in your ducting then you may have an issue, also if the distance is very long you may also have an issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If I was putting an island in my kitchen it would be a sink and a work space that would be going into it for cooking preparation.
    If your cooker is at your main work-top then the crockery, cutlery, pots and pans can be arranged around you, this is still possible at an island though it would take up more space.
    I'm not saying the cooker in the island is a bad idea, but it's not what I'd do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I'd agree with sparks, a sink in the island looks great. I have seen a Belfast sink set into an island with draining boards each side. It looks great. And the space behind the sink doubles as a breakfast bar.

• Advertisement

Every 5 years? I'd say you'll need to change the filter every 12-18 months in my experience for it to be effective. Depends what you're cooking of course.

These are very new and were only shown at this year's 'Kitchen' show in Milan for the first time as far as I know. The filter is guaranteed for five years so they say.

Yop, the expense with the ducting is doing it after the fact and not allowing for it in the begining - probably still not much more but messy and having to pay someone to do it, including break a hole in the outside wall.

These are very new and were only shown at this year's 'Kitchen' show in Milan for the first time as far as I know. The filter is guaranteed for five years so they say.

Yop, the expense with the ducting is doing it after the fact and not allowing for it in the begining - probably still not much more but messy and having to pay someone to do it, including break a hole in the outside wall.

That is true, pre planning!! :D

If your celing joists are running the "right" way to suit, and you are in a 1 storey house, you could vent it out of the soffit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Whilst not strictly an island, we've our hob on the breakfast bar, so much the same issues. Our kitchen supplier/ fitter got us the Island extractor fan, but we got one that recycles the air via the filter rather than ducting (which would've involved a nasty looking roof vent). The drawback I would say is kids being able to reach from the far side, depending on the width of the island.

One thing to bear in mind with the sink option in the island is the plumbing. Depending on your option, an Island hob a lot easier (ours is bottle gas, so bottle can go in press below to the side).

yop wrote:
    That is true, pre planning!! :D

If your celing joists are running the "right" way to suit, and you are in a 1 storey house, you could vent it out of the soffit.

Two storey but I think the ceiling joists are running the right way because it's a huge room and they must have put a RJS going across the centre, musn't they! *wonders if she'll turn into Chicken Little if she doesn't find out*:D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Islands unit can be a great addition to a kitchen. I have seen some with a radiator mounted at a breakfast bar............ i imagine it would be lovely and warm on a winters morning.
    I also saw a undermounted extractor system, that rose out of the worktop and extracted down through the kitchen unit to a pipe running in the floor. I think it was an AEG domino unit if l remember correctly. It would save an overhead unit but l imagine it would be quite expensive.

Advertisement