Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Piece.

Options
  • 18-11-2006 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if it would be legal for me to download One Piece over here.
    I want the japanese version with the subs because quite frankly the 4kids version sucks...and since they were on tv in Japan I think its legal I just want clarification.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

It's licensed, so no. You can download fansubs of unlicesned anime, but downloading licensed anime is a nono. And yes 4kids suck. Although I don't like One Piece anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Alright than. The manga as always still rules anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Condoriano

I was wondering if it would be legal for me to download One Piece over here.
    I want the japanese version with the subs because quite frankly the 4kids version sucks...and since they were on tv in Japan I think its legal I just want clarification.

There are plenty of sites around to download fasubbed one piece.
    But yes it is illeagal to download it since 4KIDS have licenced it <_<, so its up to you whether you want to download it or not.
    The Jap version is so much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I have to....I mean they edited to hell! No blood,crappy starting and they edit out all the smoking!

Condoriano wrote:
    But yes it is illeagal to download it since 4KIDS have licenced it <_<, so its up to you whether you want to download it or not.
    That's true in almost every case. Only exceptions off the top of my head are InuYahsa and the Ocean dub of DBZ.

• Advertisement

GWolf wrote:
    That's true in almost every case. Only exceptions off the top of my head are InuYahsa and the Ocean dub of DBZ.

Inuyahas not licenced!? But isnt that dubbed over in America, so there would be a company that would licence it. Don't matter though,I dont watch Inuyasha anyways :P.

Did you know they cut about two story arcs form the one piece dub? Very important ones too!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

GWolf wrote:
    It's licensed, so no. You can download fansubs of unlicesned anime, but downloading licensed anime is a nono. And yes 4kids suck. Although I don't like One Piece anyway

I can understand this question being asked a lot. What I can't understand is why this question gets answered completely wrong every time it is asked.

If you don't know what the legal implications of something are, then don't answer someone's query about it - this isn't an area where being 'nearly right' helps.

Basically the only thing you can legally download are trailers. Anime is copyrighted work, so it's protected under the Berne convention. Licensing is irrelevant. Licensing is a process whereby copyright holders make money, it doesn't alter the protected status.

All fansubs are illegal. All derived works are illegal. So yes, even a fansub of a freely distributed trailer is technically illegal. Anime Music Videos are illegal.

Thats the legal baseline. A more interesting question is which activities can I legally get away with? - roughly speaking, the act of licensing increases your risk (greater number of copyright holders).

sharingan wrote:
    I can understand this question being asked a lot. What I can't understand is why this question gets answered completely wrong every time it is asked.

If you don't know what the legal implications of something are, then don't answer someone's query about it - this isn't an area where being 'nearly right' helps.

Basically the only thing you can legally download are trailers. Anime is copyrighted work, so it's protected under the Berne convention. Licensing is irrelevant. Licensing is a process whereby copyright holders make money, it doesn't alter the protected status.

All fansubs are illegal. All derived works are illegal. So yes, even a fansub of a freely distributed trailer is technically illegal. Anime Music Videos are illegal.

Thats the legal baseline. A more interesting question is which activities can I legally get away with? - roughly speaking, the act of licensing increases your risk (greater number of copyright holders).

Yeah your right, a bit touchy though :D
    So legal issues solved, horay.

now, back onto one piece.

Condoriano wrote:

Love the dancing xxxholic girls you've got

sharingan wrote:

Actually unlicesned fansubs are fine. The anime dubbing and licensers don't mind them because they increase interest in the series, (got from an interview with one of the people involved in the release of the masterforce dvds.) I was on a forum once where they had some guy who worked for ADV films as a regular. And that site hosted only unlicensed fansubs. Guy kept people up to date on new releases and when an anime that was on the site was licensed and stuff like that. Site closed a while back though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

This place has a pretty good explanation and a large amount of unlicensed anime.

http://animesuki.com/doc.php/licensed/

If I'm not allowed to post this, delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

GWolf wrote:
    Actually unlicesned fansubs are fine. The anime dubbing and licensers don't mind them because they increase interest in the series, (got from an interview with one of the people involved in the release of the masterforce dvds.) I was on a forum once where they had some guy who worked for ADV films as a regular. And that site hosted only unlicensed fansubs. Guy kept people up to date on new releases and when an anime that was on the site was licensed and stuff like that. Site closed a while back though.

A blind eye may be turned to unlicensed shows being fansubbed but it doesn't mean it's not copyright infringment. Just because there's no license for an English version of a series doesn't mean there are no copyrights in place. Anime isn't free in Japan.

GWolf wrote:
    Love the dancing xxxholic girls you've got

Lol, cheers ^^
    Makaveli wrote:
    Anime isn't free in Japan.

And it doesnt exist in Ireland, would love if there were such thing as an anime channel where it would show official subtitled anime series. Uncensored of course. Imagion watching Elfen Lied uncensored. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Condoriano wrote:
    Yeah your right, a bit touchy though :D
    So legal issues solved, horay.

The OP asked a very specific question:

"I was wondering if it would be legal for me to download One Piece over here."

For legal matters it deserved a specific unambiguous answer. You can blow smoke up someones ass all you want,
    but never give someone bad legal advice. While fansubbing is tolerated now, it may not always be.
    GWolf wrote:
    Actually unlicesned fansubs are fine. The anime dubbing and licensers don't mind them because they increase interest in the series, (got from an interview with one of the people involved in the release of the masterforce dvds.) I was on a forum once where they had some guy who worked for ADV films as a regular. And that site hosted only unlicensed fansubs. Guy kept people up to date on new releases and when an anime that was on the site was licensed and stuff like that.

... some guy says on the interweb ... yeah. horse****. What your inside man says about fansubs is in stark contrast to how the industry sees them. In fact your inside man was pulling your leg. Leaking information could have got him fired - nobody at ADV or any other licensor would risk their job or undermine their company for the sake of some internet credibility.

Most licensors feel threatened. It doesn't matter about fansubs that infringe on licensed titles - reason would suggest that somebody who spends over 2 hours a day watching free anime will feel less inclined to buy DVDs to watch. Geneon for instance have a policy of pursuing potentially lucrative titles that have been overlooked/ignored by the fansub community - Kamichu!, Starship Operators, Burn Up! Scramble, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue. Funimation regularly issue take-down notices for anime that they have not licensed, on behalf of the japanese companies that they are on good terms with. Japanese companies have been rooting out stuff on Youtube also.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Bonus information in addition to sharingan:

Bandai announced that any fansubbers who released a sub of Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex - Solid State Society would be sued.

Advertisement