Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Awards 2006

Options
  • 19-11-2006 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Right, i'm meant to be organising it this year (running a bit late.) so lets get the ball moving, the nominations will begin next week (not the coming week) as I have that week off work. They will run until christmas by which a poll for each catagory will go up and you all get to vote.

This thread is for finalizing the catagories.

The proposed are:

Game of the Year

PC game of the year

360 game of the year*

PS2 game of the year

Wii/Gamecube game of the year*

PSP game of the year*

DS game of the year*

*due to the lack of xbox support and the backward compatability of the 360, xbox shall be merged fully into a single 360 title

*due to the wii backward compatability and its launch being so close to the end of the year they will be kept together, and seeing as the favourite to win is available on both, this hopefully shouldnt be a problem. because the Wii only launches in december gamecube will be kept in the titlealong with Wii.

*Handheld is being split in two because the PSP and DS have drifted apart enough to warrant so and ds is backward compat with GBA, so if a truely amazing GBA game has hit it should at least get a nomination into the DS cat.

Genre awards

FPS of the year

Sports title of the year

Online title of the year

Action/Adventure title of the year

Racing title of the year

RPG of the year*

Sim of the Year

Strategy of the year*

*MMO's can be nominated for the catagory they most resemble, the most popular being RPG it shall be the example, but they must either be a new title released this year or be an extensive update (not a patch) which warrants a change in gameplay. the Guild wars add on packs for example.

*While personnally I would argue to have it divided between turn-based and real time, I understand the limitations in the ceremonies structure (limiting to 20 catagories is recommanded.) and also the popularity of one well over the other pushes my hand to combine them as one. If a large number of users wish to have turn-based as a seperate catagory or something similar, please say so. This also applies to Real time, turn-based RPG

Other awards

best Story

Best Character

Event of the year*

Hottest Character

Best Soundtrack of the year

Best Villian

*Event of the year is my proposal seeing as this year has been highly noted for controversal news stories, delays, and embarresing displays on a grand scale by the industry. I propose we have a catagory to see who made the biggest impact by either impressing board users or making an arse of themselves.

That brings the total to 20.

Now if there are any you feel are not worth having in, or wish to nominate another award. i am open to suggestions. I do feel a Best Import catagory could be nice, but I need to see if there is support for it.

The rules for titles that can be nominated is they must have had a european release between December 26th 2005 and December 25th 2006.

Also due to my recent purchases and my upcoming temporary unemployment, I hope to do something really impressive with the actual results, if you want to put 2+2 together yourself, just look at the bottom of my profile bar, under posts...

previous years:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054921284

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054921285

Edited for the Reich.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maybe we should rename the first one best game other than zelda :)

Splitting the RPG category is a bit silly.

Best event? Boring. Hottest character should not be removed!!!. In bold to emphasise that I am right. It adds a bit of fun to the polls rather than having something silly like *yawn* Sony closing Lik-sang.

Don't really like best import although imports usually get ignored in the other categories. However there really isn't enough games these days that don't make it to these shores to warrant it. It won't make the polls this year but we are sure to see it do well nest year.

we could cut best villian since this year hasn't had any memorable ones (unless people can argue the oppose it).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i knew someone would hit me about hottest character. (just didnt expect it to be retro.)

if thats what the world of boardsie wishes, let me hear you and it shall be granted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was me that originally suggested it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Nice one BlitzKrieg
    I meant to put up a similar post earlier in the week but just couldn't find the time...
    I'll have a look into getting modship for yourself sorted out, but will still be happy to help out with a few of the tedious bits if I have time (tallying up nominations can be a major pain in the hole)

And yeah, hottest character definitely has to stay!:p

right I can see where this is going, hottest character put back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep... Hottest character definitely has to be included especially considering some of the lovelies from Dead Rising.

officially worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Yep... Hottest character definitely has to be included especially considering some of the lovelies from Dead Rising.
    I played that for the first time a few days ago, and I noticed a definite trend in the female zombies to go for the crotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Keep "Hottest Character".
    Be interesting to see whether a female or male character wins -- or even a character which is neither! :p

Right Nomination threads are up!

GET YOUR NOMINATIONS IN NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Keep "Hottest Character".
    Be interesting to see whether a female or male character wins -- or even a character which is neither! :p
    Electroplanktin FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Retr0gamer wrote:

we could cut best villian since this year hasn't had any memorable ones (unless people can argue the oppose it).
    Two words:

General RAAM.
    Deserves an award just for the cutscene at the end of act 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Game of the year---->Hello Kitty Island adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,358 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

might be to late ??

wii legend of zelda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Not too late. Game Awards forum here => http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=499

Advertisement