Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with laptops

• 19-11-2006 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm buying a laptop for christmas.

My maximum budget is €1100 but I hope to spend less much less than that.

It will be used for games, internet, music, dvd's etc.

I will have iTunes with about 2000 songs
    AutoCad for college work

From the above I reckon I need:

80gb HD
    512 RAM

Also as Windows Vista comes out at the end of January, I hope to get a free upgrade with the laptop.

So far only Dell seem to offer this.
    (laptopsdirect.ie do aswell but with strings attatched)

I would really like a Sony Vaoi but they seem too expensive.

Can anybody help???
    Cheers

Also.....would any of ye recommend Acer's. They seem very cheap???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Acers > Dell.

You'll want _at least_ 1GB of RAM: it is recommended/required for VISTA. You'll want considerably more for AutoCad along with a better video card. Gaming? What games do you have in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

As Karoma said:
    Karoma wrote:
    You'll want _at least_ 1GB of RAM: it is recommended/required for VISTA. You'll want considerably more for AutoCad along with a better video card. Gaming? What games do you have in mind.

Check the acer site for a model that would suit you, they are better than the bricks that dell make. A laptop for what you want to do will be a hard thing to find for €1100.
    If your on a very tight budget would you consider a second hand laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Thanks for the help.
    I'm not considering second hand at all mainly because it would be hard to get exactly what i'm looking for.
    I'll look into acers.
    When I said gaming, I meant more like internet games so I'n not really interested in graphic cards at all
    What exactly is the problem with dells????

I got this offer on dell:

Total price including VAT and delivery = €911

PROCESSOR Mobile AMD Sempron technology 3500+ edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2 (incl Operating System Re-Installation CD) edit
    VISTA UPGRADE XP Home to Vista Basic Upgrade on www.dellvistaupgrade.com before 03/31/07 edit
    SUPPORT SERVICES Collect & Return, 90 Day Service only edit
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen XGA TFT Display: 1280x800 edit
    MEMORY 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512) edit
    GRAPHICS CARD ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™ edit
    HARD DRIVE 80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE(S) Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY 6 Cell, 56Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
    Accessories
    WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card18 edit
    CARRY CASES Targus Campus Notebook Backpack (Black) edit
    Services & Software
    SECURITY SOFTWARE No Security/Anti-Virus Protection edit

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 8.5 - English edit
    NETWORK ASSISTANT Network Assist - 90 Day Trial edit
    PHOTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE No Photo Organising & Sharing Software/No Photo Editing Software edit
    Also included with your system
    KEYBOARD Internal Keyboard - (QWERTY) - UK/Ireland
    Gedis Bundle Reference List N11155 - DHS 1501 (1)
    Order Information Inspiron Order - Ireland
    Shipping Documents System Documentation
    Adobe Reader English - Adobe Reader 8.5.8
    Power Supply 65W AC Adapter
    Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
    Standard Warranty Collect & Return, 90 Days Service only
    Dell Internet Order Dell Internet Order.
    SYSTEM MEDIA Resource CD- Contains Diagnostics and Drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you shop around wisely you will probably get a laptop capable of decent gaming for that budget. It depends on what you want to play though, older games work relatively fine on integrated hardware these days, so a good graphics card should be only necessary if you really want to play new titles, as it drives the price pretty high.

I use my laptop for playing games all the time, and it's relatively ok if you don't mind keeping things to medium settings, even high settings on last years titles like Doom 3 and Half Life 2. It's a Geforce 7400, and it does feature in quite alot of mid range 900-1,300 laptops, or the X1400 from Ati which is pretty similar.

I find Dells new AMD are superb so far as that even though they they are cheap if you aim at the base models, they still have excellent graphics capabilities in their integrated, the Radeon X1150. Its a cut down version of the X300 core so its capable of playing even the latest games on low settings. This is pretty good considering previous to this the only integrated option from DELL in the Intel line was the GMA hardware, hideously ineffective for gaming. So now at least gamers on a budget do have a cheap option

In fact I would nearly go as far as to recommend a Dell AMD system - for about 600 quid, you'll get a Sempron Processor - far better then the equivilent Celeron and in fact close if not better then most Pentium 4s - and a decent graphics solution in the X1150. All you need to add is more ram and you could be playing Battlefield 2, Far Cry and Half Life 2 without issues on a 700 euro notebook if you include allowance for another gig of ram.

Not the most asthetically pleasing machines are Dell, though. :(

Advertisement