Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk 106 Linguistic expert

Options
  • 19-11-2006 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, don't know how often you listen to NewsTalk but once a week on the (Séan) Moncrieff show there is a linguistics expert who runs through text requests from listeners asking about the meaning/origin of specific words or phrases.
    THE TRUE MEANING OF WORDS: 3.00pm-3.30pm

Professor of Hiberno English in UCD and Author of the Hiberno English Dictionary, Terry Dolan takes every day words in the English language and traces their origins and meaning. Listeners can text in any word and with Professor Terry Dolan’s expertise he will be able to trace the origin.

Any of you know him? Has he lectured you? The guy is very, very good on the show :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

No. Never.

He's only on the show on Monday?
    : http://www.newstalk.ie/moncrieff.htm

(As an aside: I love how they can fit philosophical matters into 30min. slots.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep, only Mondays I'm afraid :) It is very good though and sometimes he does admit that he hasn't a clue...but he is very entertaining and texts from fellow linguists are encouraged.

/Aside: Yep, bite-size philosopy, philosophy-on the go, philosophy-lite :) Jokes aside at least they are making an effort of sorts! For an Irish radio station to have a dedicated philosophy slot is a start, otherwise youhave to go to BBC4 on mainstream or somewhere else for a webstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Terry Dolan slot is always worth a listen at 2.45-ish on a monday, the philosophy guy is on Tuesday (I think) and is a prat - his contribution to climate change was just alarming.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Yeah, I think Terry Dolan is very entertaining.

The only thing is that since Newstalk went National his slot has been moved to before 3pm - which means I don't get to here is anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yeah, he's very good.

You can podcast alot of the shows off the Newstalk website. I think there's about 10-15 Terry Dolan ones on it, each around 10 minutes. Pretty good :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement