Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like Jazz?

• 19-11-2006 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

If you do and your director, I might have an oppurtunity you might like.

Next week I am filming the Nick Hill quintet in Cambridge at a pub called the Cricketers. They are a very impressive instrumental jazz band (I feel anyway.) and I hope as a personal project to record one night of their music (they play every thursday at this pub.)

I intend to create a fantasia like collection of short films from this event by getting short films made to each of the songs played on the night.

The result should be a feature length series of short films linked together by the music.

now to create a nice diverse piece I dont wish to do all the pieces myself. So I am offering out pieces of music to filmmakers interested.

So far I have an animation masters student from Bristol signed on for one piece and a number of other filmmakers around cambridge have shown interest.

But I am coming back to Ireland so I bring gifts, I am offering anyone here an oppurtunity to also create a piece if they wish. Next weekend the music (in poor quality form *sorry*) will be put up on youtube in locked channels. If you PM me your email before thursday night I will email you the password allowing you to listen to the music, it will be a first come first served basis meaning if you hear a song you like, take down its title and email back to me with its title and brief idea of what you want to do with it.

If music is not your thing, I will also need a short film to go with the opening, ending and interval of the film, the audio will still be the pub, but it will be mostly noise of people talking, feet moving etc.

Restrictions?

only one.

-NO AUDIO. only image, the only audio that will be heard will be the music, if the audience at this pub clap during a song (which happens) it is part of your audio.

After that you can make any sort of artistic response you want to the music and I will make it part of the film.

The end result will hopefully be set off on a festival run through both Ireland and the UK, and if all is good maybe further.

So what are the advantages of shacking up with me in this project over sticking it out on your own?

1. Networking, you will be put in contact with every other filmmaker involved in the project and if they can they could help you with your project (I am offering my services for editing, camera work, or crew work. I can also provide equipment in the way of a VX2000 camera and access to a G5 for editing to those in the dublin area.)

2. Your name in the credits as a Director in a feature film. I believe that will give alot of you warm feelings. Not your name in some short film played on youtube or at a university, but on a feature film which I will be putting alot of time into getting it into festivals like Raindance, Cambridge Film Festival and so on.

Those are two very big reasons.

So drop me a line if you are interested.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Sounds interesting.

I'll have a listen anyway and see if any ideas spring to mind.

I have a huge amount of leave that I need to use up before the end of the year so I might actually have time to work on something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Good news for those interested.

The filming on Thursday went well despite a few minor hiccups.

There will be 11 songs in cd mixed quality available for anyone interested in joining this project. And a 12th song in not so good quality (more on that later.)

The songs vary from classic Jazz, to Samba and even has 2 vocal songs, the problem though is we were not informed of the 2 vocal pieces as it was a suprise performance from a guest. and the music technicion recording on DAT ran out on a tape before the last song was finished, thankfully the whole song was recorded via a boom mic, but it wont be as good quality as the dat recorded pieces.

So during the week I will be putting the music up for all to look at, and anyone interested in making a film out of one of the pieces just say so.

We already have an animator on board to do one of the pieces and I have interst from a number of other UK filmmakers, over the next week I will be trying to promote it more both among Irish filmmakers, and those over the internet to see if I can get a different filmmaker for each song.

overall unedited (with all the breaks left in) the total time comes to: 2 hours 45 minutes. So I will most likely cutting chunks of the interval out, but I will be keeping bits of it at least to secure the projects natural feel (rather then 12 videos in a row, I want to link them.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Ok here comes the music, the first three will be audio recorded on the night from the camera the rest is from the cd (due to me not having enough time to get all 12 up before I meet the band again.

as they come up have a look, these are both rough cuts with no grading etc done to me (painfully obvious.) and its not the footage that matters but the audio. The music.

first one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtfUjF8IbJI

second one on its way as the third.

2nd one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXyFcRwEJxI

3rd one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79im-MvacK0

and number 4

*grumble* why do I have to move and do this at the same time?

the other 8 will be up over the next few days (depending on when I go home.)

Advertisement