Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a frikkin wii

Options
  • 19-11-2006 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Yay! I just wanted to say it. It's the first time I've ever attended a console launch, and it was fun. 10 hours in line and it was definitely worth it. Wii sports is fun, but I'm about to begin Zelda... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Okay, too tired to play zelda now. Will report more tomorrow. The wii shop looks cool, though. Opera should be available soon, and they already have the likes of sonic, zelda, mario 64 and altered beast for download :)

The news and weather channels aren't live yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

c*nt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    c*nt

I agree. Damn you Balfa. The freezer at home is looking very tempting now. I might just buy some sleeping pills and take enough so I don't wake up until the 8th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    c*nt

:D

lol tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Cool. Be sure to keep us updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I hate you...

more plz...

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

:(
    had my flight not been a day earier than intended I would have been waiting in one of the queues.

Toys r Us in Time square was unbelievable, queue was a half a block long at 2pm yesterday, and everyone had brought their DS.

stupid BA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Pics?

Is it sold out every where over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

You are evil.

evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

If you would be so kind as to PM me your address, and times when you won't be home to defend your new purchase, that'd be great.

Why? ohh... for statistical purposes, not theft, ohh lord no, not that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I agree. Damn you Balfa. The freezer at home is looking very tempting now. I might just buy some sleeping pills and take enough so I don't wake up until the 8th.
    Just had an image of Retr0 waking up in the year 2030 ala Evil Dead 3:p
    Fair play Balfa, I look forward to hearing a boardsie's opinion on Zelda

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Pics?

Is it sold out every where over there?

Probably. My local Walmart had 28 units and I was 25th in line, so I got pretty lucky. Anyone who arrived in the line after about 3pm yesterday was told they'd get a raincheck on a further shipment of 30 that the shop was expecting in the next couple of days, and everyone after those thiirty were just turned away.

And I don't know what sort of pics you want... I mean, everyone knows what a wii looks like by now. Unless you mean pics of me... there are ninja ones somewhere on boards.

Yeah, we all had our DS's in the line and played a few 5-8 player games of mariokart. And a few games of Advance Wars at which my ass was very kicked :) Me and my wife ordered pizza to "outside the front of walmart" too, which was very cool.

Oh, and pretty much all the wii sports are kinda crappy except tennis. And probably boxing in two player. And I haven't tried golf, yet.

And the speaker on the remote is as tinny and nasty as some reviewers have been saying. But you get used to it pretty quickly, and it does add an extra bit of immersion to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I will crush you like a clam on my tummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

cough kill balfa cough

seriously though ive been following the launch very closely and even watched loads of vids on youtube with ISDN! thats how desperate i am to get this thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Why do they use tables if they have perfectly good bellies!

I still haven't tried red steel, but so far, I haven't seen anything that couldn't be done on a gamecube. But then, that's pretty much the same thing I say about xbox 360 games. If I want good graphics, I'll stick with my PC games.

The controllers are seriously tiny, by the way. And very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

comeeeeeeonnnnnnnnnnnn, COMEEEEEEEEONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Balfa wrote:
    But then, that's pretty much the same thing I say about xbox 360 games. If I want good graphics, I'll stick with my PC games.
    o_O Have you played most 360 games?

How accurate and responsive are the controllers? Have you tried to see if there's any problems using them at a distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Tell us about Zelda!!!

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    o_O Have you played most 360 games?
    Never mind... I don't want to start a fanboy war. I retract my previous statement.
    How accurate and responsive are the controllers? Have you tried to see if there's any problems using them at a distance?
    Hm, my living room's only 10 feet wide, so I don't have much room to wander. The IR pointer is very jumpy, but it doesn't seem to affect its usability much. The only time it feels awkward is when you're entering text on the on-screen keyboard. I've missed keys once or twice.

As for the motion sensitivity, it's pretty much the same. Accurate but a little jumpy (or maybe "sticky" best describes it), but it doesn't really affect playability. Swinging a baseball bat at the ball felt pretty intuitive without any lag. Same with the tennis rackets.

Oh, and wiiconnect24 seems a bit dodgy. I'm not sure if they're having teething problems or what, but I randomly get error messages saying can't connect. And there was a significant delay between me sending an email to my gmail address and actually receiving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Blow Me

wii is a kids toy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Blow Me wrote:

Umm Video games are actually toys so all consoles are kids toys.

Balfa any chance you could get drunk get a load of mates over and play Wii sports with a webcam? :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Balfa wrote:
    Never mind... I don't want to start a fanboy war. I retract my previous statement.

Hm, my living room's only 10 feet wide, so I don't have much room to wander. The IR pointer is very jumpy, but it doesn't seem to affect its usability much. The only time it feels awkward is when you're entering text on the on-screen keyboard. I've missed keys once or twice.

As for the motion sensitivity, it's pretty much the same. Accurate but a little jumpy (or maybe "sticky" best describes it), but it doesn't really affect playability. Swinging a baseball bat at the ball felt pretty intuitive without any lag. Same with the tennis rackets.

Oh, and wiiconnect24 seems a bit dodgy. I'm not sure if they're having teething problems or what, but I randomly get error messages saying can't connect. And there was a significant delay between me sending an email to my gmail address and actually receiving it.

There have been reports of WiiConnect24 not working on consoles occuring a couple of hours prior to the console breaking. Not wishing to alarm you or anything. Its on Kotaku or something like that. Its linked with disk read errors aswell I think.

Emails don't neccessarily send immediately. Thats normal.
    Blow Me wrote:

Thank god you warned me with your logical post with reasons why, otherwise I might have purchased one. You saved me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

brim4brim wrote:
    Thank god you warned me with your logical post with reasons why, otherwise I might have purchased one. You saved me :rolleyes:
    He's already been banned for dragging up an old (1999) thread:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

And I don't know what sort of pics you want... I mean, everyone knows what a wii looks like by now. Unless you mean pics of me... there are ninja ones somewhere on boards.

can you spot him?

ninja3.gif

or is he soooo ninja that he's not there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

How those the remote work I can't imagine playing Resident evil with a remote control. Can you buy a controller for it. That is the only thing stoping me from buying a wii I think it is a stupid idea. I cant imagine sitting up all night playing whatever game with a remote control and it will give you cramp in your hand very easily won't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    can you spot him?

ninja3.gif

or is he soooo ninja that he's not there?
    Hahaha, actually, I'm not in that compilation, and that makes me feel left out :( But then, if you could SEE me, I wouldn't be a very good ninja, would I?

I was the ninja iinfiltrating the white house in that good ol' thread.

I'm just back from a session of rayman raving rabbids (which we bought this afternoon) at the inlaws. That game's a whole lot of fun :) And after playing it and some trauma center, let me put your mind at ease and state that the pointer is indeed very accurate and not at all "sticky". The stickyness must just be a wii menu thing.

But my shoulder's sore from wii bowling (which is far too easy) and my wrist is sore from various rabbids minigames. I guess using this controller takes some getting used to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thats great Balfa. Now tell us how great zelda is!

Advertisement