Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a frikkin wii

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

Balfa whats the story with multiplayer gaming is there dedicated servers like xbox live or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Hmmm... yes... interesting... Rabbid Rabbits you say?!

NOW TELL US ABOUT ZELDA!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Hmm. People keep asking about Zelda. So far it's just standard Zelda fare. Similar sort of fetch-me puzzles and stuff but now heart pieces are only a fifth of a heart now, instead of a quarter! I think that's a good thing. Hopefully it means there will be more findables and the game will be paced longer.

The motion stuff is kinda weird. I like pointing the wiimote to aim the slingshot, but waggling the wiimote to swing your sword may as well just be mapped to a button. It doesn't do anything more than register movement, any kind of movement. I just keep shaking the remote while z-targeting to attack.

And so far this game seems to lack the soul of OoT and WW (and LttP). WW had soul right from the start with the magnificent opening, but I guess OoT didn't really get any soul until after completing the deku tree dungeon. Perhaps I'm not yet at this game's equivelant of that.

That said, it's still Zelda, and feels like it's going to be excellent. And big.

And for those asking for pictures, here's a lame picture of my retard cat which happens to be in front of the wii.

And let me stress again. If you are expecting graphics better than a gamecube, then you will be horribly disappointed! If you're expecting graphics the same as gamecube, you might be marginally impressed.

The effects and polygon count seem okay, but it looks like it's the textures that are hurting it the most. Some very basic HDR flare here and a smooth volumetric shadow there. Patches of sword-cuttable zelda-grass are individual polygons that sway, but the rest of the grassy ground is so dull it almost looks N64ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dmn that cats a retard...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

You know with the Wii generating all the positive reviews and publicity, it might actually end up as an essential household item and beat both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 in terms of number of units sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    dmn that cats a retard...

ah its just chillin out havin a wii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Balfa wrote:

And for those asking for pictures, here's a lame picture of my retard cat which happens to be in front of the wii.
    Your wii fell over.... I'm sure you keep it upright and this was a your retarded cats fault :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

just like the ps2 and xbox 360 it may look better standing up but its afer for your games to have it flat.

sprinkles wrote:
    Your wii fell over.... I'm sure you keep it upright and this was a your retarded cats fault :)
    Blahh. When you get home after ten hours in line you don't put consideration into the feng shui placement of your wii, you just wanna play the damn thing.

Here's a problem: When I stand it upright on one of the shelves of the TV stand, it's too close to the shelf above, so the GC ports and slots on top are unusable :( Yet if you keep it flat, the hinged covers for said ports and slots don't even open properly because the hinge opens below the bottom of the unit :/ The instruction book recommends that if you want to keep it flat and you want to play GC games, then you should remove the covers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

You know with the Wii generating all the positive reviews and publicity, it might actually end up as an essential household item and beat both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 in terms of number of units sold.

well i'm a member of another forum where 5 people got the Wii (americans) and 4 of them were bitterly disappointed. one of the 4 even brought his back!

reading gamespot and 1up, the consensus is that the Wii is a great little machine, but not a replacement for a 360 or ps3.

bit of a pain in the ass. design flaw!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

well i'm a member of another forum where 5 people got the Wii (americans) and 4 of them were bitterly disappointed. one of the 4 even brought his back!
    Why?

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Why?

didn't enjoy the experience it offered. as was said in this thread, the graphics are barely passable as gamecube (hard to swallow after a year of 360 and all the ps3 videos) and the whole wiimote thing is apparently clunky... not quite as smooth as we've been led to believe.

sad, but i'm still getting one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

didn't enjoy the experience it offered. as was said in this thread, the graphics are barely passable as gamecube (hard to swallow after a year of 360 and all the ps3 videos) and the whole wiimote thing is apparently clunky... not quite as smooth as we've been led to believe.

I have to say that the graphics thing does turn me off, sad I know. I can't face paying €250 for what essentially amounts to a new controller. I haven't seen any good reviews for the system bar Zelda (which I will be getting on my GC).

In 5 years time these graphics will seem archaic (think along the lines of PS1 gfx now). I really do think gfx play a big part in the gaming experience, don't care what anybody says.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think we will see what the machine is capable of for another 6 months. All the launch games were designed on GC hardware until the final dev kits arrived about 5 months ago. Most of that time has been spent working with the controls.

Super Mario Galaxy looks wonderful imo, not a patch on the PS3 and 360's best but well beyond Gamecube.

Vyse, go play super metroid. It's archaic and doesn't look the best but I challenge you to find a better game or one that generates as much atmosphere. Graphics don't mean much to me but they are nice to have. I'm currently playing Majora's Mask. It looks god awful and the framerate is atrocious but by god does it play well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Funny you mention Metroid. I bought my GC specifically to play Metroid Prime (primarily because GamesTM gave it 10/10) and I hated it (yeah, I was that guy). Nothing about it appealed to me bar the soundtrack (which was superb).

Yeah I know graphics aren't everything but I would still find it hard to play every game with sub par graphics. Don't get me wrong, I hope the Wii does really well and I'm sure it will, I just don't think it's for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

really?? metroid prime was what sold me on the gamecube. I thought the gfx were top notch, right up there with RE4 but the gameplay was so much better, truly amazing, perfectly balanced and so much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

:( That hurts me in my special nintendo place.

Still gonna get one though, if I can.

Oi! That's putting words in my mouth. I did not say they're "barely passable as gamecube". They're better than GameCube. And having just tried out Mario Sunshine (a beautiful game in itself) on the Wii last night, I now feel perhaps I was being a tad harsh on Zelda. And like Retr0 implied, Zelda was under development for years on Gamecube, and they only just switched it over to Wii this year. It's essentially a spruced up gamecube game.

For multi-platform games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance (which I got yesterday), the wiimote is almost a pain in the bum to use instead of regular buttons (although I do like rotating the camera by tilting the nunchuck :) ), but Trauma Center makes amazing use of it and couldn't have been done on any other system. Same with Raving Rabbids to a lesser extent. I just can't wait for Warioware...

The Wii is definitely worth and there's no way I'd consider returning mine.

• Advertisement

In fact, coming back to that camera-rotating thing in Ultimate Alliance, I'm starting to see a huge potential for some tricky little bugger games... The coordination involved in moving the analogue stick with your left thumb while tilting the nunchuck is pretty difficult to learn (In a frantic moment, I found myself looking to the left instead of running over to the left to beat that guy over the head with thor's hammer), so just imagine some game that demands you control the thumstick, twisting the nunchuck, twisting the remote and using the d-pad on the remote all at the same time. That'd be slick and a whole new sort of fundamental challenge that gamers aren't used to. Except maybe helicopter sim pilots. But even they get to use their feet :)

Forget SIXAXIS, the wii controller has probably about 12 usable axes, and it won't be long before a developer comes up with some fiendish way of making us attempt to balance all of them at once.

I really don't know why I'm punishing myself by checking this...... damn it I need a wii!

Balfa wrote:
    Oi! That's putting words in my mouth.

i don't recall saying you said a word. i was merely pointing out that it's already been mentioned here that the graphics don't match up to PC, 360 or PS3.

And by the way, using the nunchuck's analogue stick while holding it in one hand is a lot easier than I would have imagined. In fact the whole thing is very comfortable to use. Playing zelda with the controllers in my hands and my hands on my lap feels even more relaxed than using a GC controller. And pointing the cursor/aimer around the screen is effortless without even having to lift your hand off your knee.

Unless you're playing Trauma Center and your every movement is critical to the patient's survival and their vitals are dropping and oh my god my forearm is concentrating so hard that it's about to fall off but there are more patients to be saved and dammit I WON'T GIVE UP!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

they look like fun but id say the novelty wears off unless ur hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

faceman wrote:
    they look like fun but id think the novelty wears off unless ur hammered.
    Fixed! ;) Try it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the good thing for me is i never owned a gamecube, my ex-housemate had a gamecube (i had ps2, another had xbox) and the gamecube got the most playtime due to mario double dash etc. Soo I'd be happy picking up old gamecube games as well as new wii ones, (yes point out I can get a gamecube 2nd hand for 30, but I want new wii games aswell.)

So after 12 hours and 52 minutes of play time (plus maybe 30 minutes at the inlaws), the battery on my wiimote is down from 4 bars to 3. Not bad.

Also, I've now reached that part of zelda where it gets its soul... wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Balfa wrote:
    Also, I've now reached that part of zelda where it gets its soul... wow.

I am so jealous...i hate you.

I want zelda sooooooo bad

Its just not fair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Hey, Balfa, these first hand reports are great, thanks.

You're makin me dead jealous, though. Can't wait to play it.

Can i ask you is that marvel game any good, all things considered?

Which game is best (i'm gonna guess zelda, but just in case)?

Advertisement