Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a frikkin wii

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

KdjaCL wrote:
    Umm Video games are actually toys so all consoles are kids toys.

s/toys/art

1 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Darnell13 wrote:
    Can i ask you is that marvel game any good, all things considered?
    It seems pretty decent. I like those sort of levelling-up hack-and-slash games, and this one's got superheroes in it so... bonus! Maybe I just need more practice with the controllers though, but right now it's almost as if they hamper the game instead of making it better. We'll see...
    Which game is best (i'm gonna guess zelda, but just in case)?
    It started off being Trauma Center because it's the game that makes the most sense on the Wii. And it's a hell of a lot of addictive fun. I'd probably be playing it a lot more if it didn't make my arm hurt from trying so hard :)

But really Zelda is coming into its own and is becoming worthy of the scores it's been receiving. Gamerankings.com lists it as the second best game of all time now, right behind Ocarina.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Quick question. What size tv are you using your Wii with? I was just wondering if i'm gonna need to upgrade to a half decent sized tv to get the full benifits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Does anyone think that the X-box 360 and PS3 might eventually come out with this type of controller hardware and a downloadable firmware upgrade? That would be pretty cool.

I love the idea of the Wii but the graphics are a bit of a let-down for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

well the ps3 already has a motion sensitive controller(sixaxis) and microsoft released a similar one years ago for the PC, so id imagine they are just waiting to see how well the wii will really do. but even still the wii was made with the wimote in mind while the ps3 and (if they released one) 360 will have just been added on so would never be as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

God Damn it!! I can no longer afford the Wii due to my iPod breaking!

Guess I'll have to wait til after Christmas for Zelda....it just doesn't seem right.

Kiith wrote:
    Quick question. What size tv are you using your Wii with? I was just wondering if i'm gonna need to upgrade to a half decent sized tv to get the full benifits.
    32" LCD HDTV. Still waiting for component cables from success-hk, so I'm just using composite right now. Though I'm not sure what you're asking. To get the most out of it (or any console from this OR last generation), you should have progressive scan (EDTV), and you NEED component video. In terms of size, it should ideally be about 3 or 4 times smaller than the distance between your head and the tv.

Slurms, I'm not sure you have your priorities right...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Balfa wrote:
    I concur... pick up something cheap like this or some such and join us... Join Us, JOIN US!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

Aldi are doing a 2gb mp3 player for 80 quid on sunday, don't know if its any good though.
    http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys2/product_482.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Balfa wrote:
    Aye, I'd flush my iPod down the toilet right now if it meant getting my Wii any sooner:p

• Advertisement

Ah but the Wii can't help me escape the mudane conversations of the scumbags which frequent the buses and trains I get everyday.

There might be a way however, if I were to buy nobody a Christmas present...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Slurms wrote:
    There might be a way however, if I were to buy nobody a Christmas present...
    Selection boxes for all... hooray.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Slurms wrote:
    Ah but the Wii can't help me escape the mudane conversations of the scumbags which frequent the buses and trains I get everyday.

But a DS Lite would :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i find some of those conversations most entertaining
    i mean who knows how jacinta's baby is doing with jonno in jail for GBH against anto.

its better than eastenders.

Ugh just had the worst overheard conversation. Some scummer who's banned for driving for 10 years,admitted to being drunk at 12 o clock in the morning, was trying to sell stolen runners.....
    Oh god, tomorrow can't come soon enough!!

But I still want a Wii, soley for Zelda!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Slurms you can get a 40 gb mp3 in argos for about €130 tbh its a bit on the chunky side but you get used to it. I would advise you to ask to look at it first it might be to big.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Slurms wrote:
    Ugh just had the worst overheard conversation. Some scummer who's banned for driving for 10 years,admitted to being drunk at 12 o clock in the morning, was trying to sell stolen runners.....
    Oh god, tomorrow can't come soon enough!!

But I still want a Wii, soley for Zelda!

One word : Gamecube.
    That's what I'm doing. Interestingly, I have yet to read a review of the GC version of TP. The search continues...

That's what I'm doing. Interestingly, I have yet to read a review of the GC version of TP. The search continues...
    Yeah, been toying with that idea over the last few days. But sure we'll see how it all pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Rhyme wrote:
    Selection boxes for all... hooray.
    lol :D

btw has anyone who hasn't preordered got any plans as to how they might get a wii? Rumour has it if Game get enough copies there could be a midnight opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They delayed the Gamecube version until December so you'll have to wait until then to get a review of it. At least the Gamespot one probably won't go up until then.

• Advertisement

Daddio wrote:
    lol :D

btw has anyone who hasn't preordered got any plans as to how they might get a wii? Rumour has it if Game get enough copies there could be a midnight opening.
    I work in GAME, haven't heard anything like that?
    We are confident that we're gonna receive alot of Wii's. I actually don't have a pre-order but I'm still quite confident I'll get one on launch (and no, we can't put them aside for ourselves)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wii should i get a Why when the PS3 is almost here? Sorry couldnt resist?

Does anyone know how many games for wii will be on the market by xmas?

Er, this might be a problem... My inlaws' Wii suffers from cursor jitter. It seems those reports of interference from other heat/light sources are true. They have a standard lamp in the corner of the room about 5ft right of the TV, and when it's on the cursor goes kinda mental. Also, earlier today they had the blinds open (medium-small windows directly either side of the TV) and the cursor was mental then as well. This is in Texas where everyone lives in dark squalor to keep the searing sun out, and it was just daylight affecting it, not direct sunlight, so in Ireland where open curtains/blinds are much more commonplace, this might be an even greater issue. You can just about forget using the Wii if you have a big window directly behind your TV.

The Wii menu has an option to alter the sensitivity of the sensor bar, complete with a nifty representation of what the sensor bar sees - the remote is two little white dots and any other dots that appear are background noise that can cause problems. If you set the sensitivty as low as it goes, it barely registers the wiimote at all outside 6ft (their couch is probably 10 or 11ft from the TV). If you set it too high, the sensor starts picking up every little heat and light source and reflection. At their place, I was completely unable to find a happy medium and it looks like they're going to have to turn off all the lights and close all the blinds (like I said, not all that uncommon in Texas) to play the Wii.

My apartment is much better. First, my couch is only about 8ft from the TV. Second, the lights in the room (which again aren't often on) are totally at right angles to the line between me and my TV. As an experiment, I turned on all the lights and played around with sensitivity... If I angle the remote so the spotlight in the ceiling 10ft left of the TV is reflected off the front of remote towards the sensor, it does indeed cause a good, sharp dot on the sensor view, even down at the lowest sensitivty. However the thick, white, soft light hanging from the ceiling three a few feet right of me only causes the slightest random flicker once in a while at the highest sensitivty.

Just thought I'd report my findings as accurately as I can so that people have time to prepare their living rooms by December 8th!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well the Texas sun is a hell of a lot brighter than here. And the difference between having the curtains open or closed is a lot greater. We get more of a diffused light in Ireland (because of the sh1tty weather), so I doubt it'll be that much of a problem, except when you have a case of the sun shining directly on everything, at which point you can just close the blinds :)

Woohoo the Wii is back in the running gents!
    Got a nice big wage pack today (I forgot I worked the bank holiday weekend) so now I can afford it again!!
    This will be a happy Christmas indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Slurms wrote:

exactly :p

couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Slurms wrote:
    We are confident that we're gonna receive alot of Wii's. I actually don't have a pre-order but I'm still quite confident I'll get one on launch (and no, we can't put them aside for ourselves)
    I dunno, I just heard from a friend who also works in Game. Could have been someone playing an impractical joke on him though :(
    Well here's hoping to Game getting more wii's than necessary.

Daddio wrote:
    I dunno, I just heard from a friend who also works in Game. Could have been someone playing an impractical joke on him though :(
    Well here's hoping to Game getting more wii's than necessary.
    I hope it does happen cos it'd rock!
    I'll ask the boss tonight, see if he knows anything about it. Though I doubt the one I work in can do it cos it's in a Shopping Center, maybe Dawson St. though...

Oh, and I see Bomberman '93 is available on Wii shop channel and it's 5-player! Maybe I'll get some use out of the virtual console after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Balfa wrote:
    Oh, and I see Bomberman '93 is available on Wii shop channel and it's 5-player! Maybe I'll get some use out of the virtual console after all.

what a game!

Balfa you are officially a legend by the way for keeping us going with the Wii updates.

Cheers dude

Advertisement