Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waking up at 04.20 every night

• 19-11-2006 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

This has been happening to me now for the last four/six weeks every night.
    No matter how tired I am or sleepless.I wake up at near enough the exact time of 04.20 +/- 3 mins. I stay awake appx 3 mins then go asleep again until I have to get up.Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

We have built-in biological clocks. Maybe you need to reprogramme yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭claire-g

Or it cud be due to stress, people who are stressed often wake at the same time at night............if so, try relaxation techniques like meditation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I experience this from time to time as well. Last year I had a phase of waking at exactly 3am on and off for a couple of weeks and recently at 5:15 within a few minutes, this time for about 3 weeks. I'll sleep right throught the night the rest of the time and I don't think I've been particularly under stress at the times it has happened. The time I go to sleep at seems to make little difference to it as well. At first I assumed some external regualr sound that was waking me (like a neighbour coming home from work at the same time during the night) but I haven't been able to find out for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

For a week or so a fair while ago I woke up every hour every night, like say at 1:14. then at 2:14, then at 3:14 etc, always exactly an hour later, it was odd, hasn't happened since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

claire-g wrote:
    Or it cud be due to stress, people who are stressed often wake at the same time at night............if so, try relaxation techniques like meditation etc.
    I know personally, if I'm stressed/upset/worried over something I'll wake up bang on a certain time every night until I deal with whatevers troubling me.

One time it was 5:50am for weeks, another it was 3:20 etc.

OP: Is there anything troubling/worrying you? Even if something is coming up that you're anxious about it can happen, best way I've found to deal with it is to figure out my problems or de-stress myself somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

its your inner stoner fighting to come out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

This has been happening to me now for the last four/six weeks every night.
    No matter how tired I am or sleepless.I wake up at near enough the exact time of 04.20 +/- 3 mins. I stay awake appx 3 mins then go asleep again until I have to get up.Any ideas?

Same thing used to happen to me when I was around 12/13. I'd wake up at around 6 a.m. every week day morning.

One morning I happened to wake up about 10 minutes earlier than usual to hear the milkman delivering milk.

He would drive up to the top of the hill and freewheel down to each house to reduce noise. However, he would always start the engine towards the bottom of the hill (just outside my house) which is what used to wake me up.

It's possible that some neighbour leaving for work etc. is the cause of your "problem"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

The term 420 is used widely in Cannabis culture as a time to get high, a national day to get high, and cannabis itself.

It's obviously your body trying to drop the hint.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Mordeth wrote:
    its your inner stoner fighting to come out
    Wez wrote:
    It's obviously your body trying to drop the hint.. ;)
    Clever, but lets try to keep this on-topic.

I very much doubt that the OP's body-clock is advocating drug use at twenty past four in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Well there goes my reply! You guys beat me to it!:p

Ha! NO, seriously, OP, the advice above is sound. Just try to figure out what your mind is trying to resolve. Sometimes just knowing what it is and not even resolving it is enough.

So when you do wake up at 4:20, pay attention to what is on your mind!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Just the other day I was waking up at half past each hour for about 4 hours in a row.

Going to bed now to see if it still happens.. will report back later ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

By any chance does your central heating come on around that time ?
    The warmth could be waking you up, or even the noise of it coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Wez wrote:
    The term 420 is used widely in Cannabis culture as a time to get high, a national day to get high, and cannabis itself.
    Dude! That's fascinating as I was waking up at the exact same time as the OP for about a week, but I had no idea of that term until now.

Maybe her alarm-clock went 'bong'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Its almost certainly something in the house that happens to make a noise at that time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Maybe Bob Marley is hiding in your closet??? But seriously, I've had this myself for 2 weeks straight and I put it down it to stress. I was under serious pressure at work and when that resolved itself, the random waking stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 BongBoyJay

Dude i think this means only one thing.. u gotta toke up.. today is the real 420.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,739 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Has your diet changed in the same time period, are you eating anything specific late at night?
    Are you on any medication that could be causing this?
    Were you travelling (time zone changes etc) any time in the past few months (should be worn off by now)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

claire-g wrote: »

yeah, you could be stressed.

Advertisement