Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transit today, mechanic tomorrow

Options
  • 19-11-2006 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

A few of you may have seen numerous threads by me about buying a van. Anyway, I bought a Transit yesterday for €2,300 with the knowledge it will need about €800 put into it. It's a 99 with 100K on the clock. Thanks to everyone who replied to any of my threads.

I was told it will need new clutch, breaks and tyres as well as a service in a few months.

I'd like to get the clutch, breaks (or break pads??) and tyres asap I think.

Does anyone know of a good mechanic who knows their stuff about Transits or do all mechanics generally know about vans as well as cars?

I want a nice reliable and valuable mechanic if possible. Dublin South/Wicklow North.

Does the above seem doable for €800?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Transits are very easy to work on - everything is accessible and relatively easy to do on them.

Is it front or rear-wheel drive? Rear wheel drive are easier and quicker to do clutch on but more time-consuming to do front brake pads and discs on.

€800 might cover parts, I doubt it'd cover labour as well.

You should go to a local ford dealership and talk to a mechanic there - he might accomodate you or put you onto someone who could.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

See I'm not even too sure if they really need fixing. The clutch definitely does. It's pretty hard to get it into gear (****, is this the gearbox that needs fixing aswell then?) and the actual clutch pedal is really high up for some reason (normal in a van?) and it seems you have to go 10 times higher when releasing it to get the van moving. Which is dodgy, I was parking on a slight hill beside a car and when I tried to move it a bit forward in first, I kept moving back and nearly reversing into the car beside me because I didn't have the bite properly. I'm by no means just starting to drive either and clutch work in my car is something I'm very comfortable with.

The breaks seem fine to me, but I was told with a full load on a hill that they will give some trouble. The tyres are well within their depth allowance but I was told that I'd get more mileage etc if I had new tyres, which I know is true, but maybe not an essential spend just yet.

I'm looking to get myself VAT registered before I do anything, save me a chunk off the price:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sorry man but thats look like a bad deal to me. It'll need a lot more than €800 to fix it all up. Ford parts are cheap but not that cheap and commercial tyres can be pricey too.

Well I think if I get all the above it'll pretty much be in perfect nic. Even if the above costs €1,200, I think that's still pretty much a good price for a van of that year/mileage/condition. Let's just hope it wont cost that much:)

If it was the gearbox, it would be difficult to select a certain gear (I think 5th and 1st can be problematic)
    How much free play is in the clutch pedal? You should be able to move it about an inch before it starts disengaging - if any more, the cable should be adjusted.
    The brakes and tyres should be your no.1 priority with the van - you need to be able to stop safely!
    Has it a current doe cert? If so, how long is left on it?

• Advertisement

I think the DOE is until April 04. Same as tax, as far as I know. So you reckon any honest mechanic should be able to sort me out?

is that 4th april 2008 or april 2004?!?!
    if it's until next year, the brakes and tyres should be safe - worry about the gearbox for now.
    Your best bet would be to go to a ford garage and approach a mechanic - ask him if he'd be interested in a nixer. They aren't hard to work on and anyone with experience with them should be happy to oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whoa 04?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

DOE April 2004? Run away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

cormie wrote:
    Does the above seem doable for €800?

You're going to see fu*k all change out of 800 Euro for the clutch alone for a Transit, if you get it done properly, meaning a good quality 3 piece clutch kit fitted like Valeo or LuK. Transits have a concentric slave cylinder operating the clutch that tends to be expensive (150-200 Euro) and should be replaced with the clutch disc and cover assembly...

• Advertisement

haha, got the month and the year mixed up, wasn't thinking. April (that's 04 in DD-MM-YYYY ;)) 2007!

I'll wait for the full report from carcheck.ie and approach a mechanic to get a price I think because I'm not even sure if it's the clutch or gears, or breaks or break pads:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

cormie wrote:
    breaks or break pads
    brakes ;)

gimmie a break:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

your gearchange problem is probably the clutch. the release bearing has eaten into the fingers on the pressure plate which is also causing the long pedal travel. a new clutch kit should sort that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

try MBM cars on the Ratoath Road.

Thanks for the help again:)

Just off the phone to your man from carcheck anyway and he gave me a full run down of what needs to be done (bold = immediately):

4 new tyres, rear brake fuse, tracking and camber (he said whoever fits the tyres {or was it the whoever does the brake fuse?} will do this when they are doing the other thing), coolant, brake power fluid drain and refills. , full service, wiper blades, rear fog light bulb, front grill loose, and the clutch.

He said the gearbox is fine and not related to the clutch problem so that's a relief.

He said I could get away without doing the clutch for a while but to be honest, maybe it just needs getting used to, but I find it very hard to get it into gear from neutral.

So for the above, he said close to 1K.

Does anyone know a decent place to get all this done so? Should I buy my tyres from eiretyres.com or is there a better place that will sell good value tyres, fit them and do the rest too? How do I know what tyres to get if I order from eiretyres?

Any feedback would be appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Cormie the following is a main dealer price...so as you can judge if ya think your gettina fair price. This just for the clutch mind.

Clutch €213 (three piece clutch) Slave cylinders are only on the later transit.

Labour @ 3 hours €219 (73 an hour in my place)

+ 13.50% vat

total: €490.

Hopefully you should be able to gauge if someone is offering a fair price using the ones above. I can pm many contacts but they are all northside.

Hope this helps.

cormie, see my post for MBM cars.
    They did my motorhome for me and motorhomes are all based on Transits and Ducatos.

Is it MBM up at kilbride co.meath? If so i'd recomend these lads also, they do alot of transit work.

Thanks for the help again:) I must give MGM a shout and see how much they quote me. €73 per hour for labour seems very expensive.

As someone suggested earlier, perhaps I could get a ford mechanic to do it as a nixer? Hmm, but then would I be able to claim vat back?

• Advertisement

Can't find a number for MBM anywhere. Want to ring up to get a price estimate before going all the way out to them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

cormie wrote:
    but then would I be able to claim vat back?

Jaysis Cormie you can't have your cake and eat it too. I'm afraid it'll be one or the other for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote:
    As someone suggested earlier, perhaps I could get a ford mechanic to do it as a nixer? Hmm, but then would I be able to claim vat back?
    Someone doing a nixer who issues a VAT receipt .. now that I'd like to see :)

Hehe :D

I rang up Tallaght Ford for an estimate anyway, 470 for clutch, 400 for tyres without tracking and camber (he said you only do that if it's pulling to the left, but it's good to get it done anyway, right?) and he said he didn't know what a "rear brake fuse" was:confused: Is this a term used by only some in the trade? Is there a general term? I said maybe it's just rear brakes it needs, he said 200 for that. So about €1,100 in total.

Could probably get it cheaper somewhere else maybe.

Anyone know about the rear brake fuse thing and tracking?

I've lost the number for MBM Cars.
    But, ring Motorhome Ireland and ask them... the are 3 doors up the road and do motorhome servicing for them.

I had a full service and all fluids change and a timing belt change done for €380 or so on a Ducato. I didn't get a receipt.

gave motorhome a ring and they didn't have MBM's number to hand, I can't find it, tried 11811, golden pages, google and all:(

any other suggestions as to where a good van (ford transit) mechanic is?

Does anyone know about the brake-fuse? Is this just another name for brakes?

MBM CARS.....ph. 01 8216570, Assuming it's the one up past Clonee.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote:
    Does anyone know about the brake-fuse? Is this just another name for brakes?
    Did they mean the brake light fuse maybe?

EDIT: Another thought .. brake shoes maybe? (Could sound similar maybe with a strong unfamiliar accent :) )

Thanks fightin Irish, I'll give them a buzz and see if it is them:)

It could be brake shoes! Definitely not the light fuse because it's to do with the van not being able to hold a full load properly on a hill;)

How much do brake shoe replacements cost on average?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    Thanks fightin Irish, I'll give them a buzz and see if it is them:)

It could be brake shoes! Definitely not the light fuse because it's to do with the van not being able to hold a full load properly on a hill;)

That sounds like the brake light laden valve other wise known as a light laden valve...distributes brake pressure to each rear wheel...sold alot of them in my time. Could be wrong.

Advertisement