Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In-car audio help...

Options
  • 19-11-2006 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

My Pug 106 came fitted with a non-factory stereo when I bought it (Goodman's).
    Trouble is, that it doesn't seem to be wired up correctly...the radio/CD will cut out if I stall the car (I'm still in L-plate land so this happens the odd time) or even when I go from battery-on to igntion starter. Very anoying when you're in the middle of a CD.
    Also my rear speakers have no sound coming from them...

I'm thinking of replacing the unit (for one that does mp3 and has a decent RDS tuner), so when it comes to fitting it, how do I avoid my problem of the power cutting out at start up or stalling? There's a stand-by clock on my current stereo but even the clock goes off when the ignition is off.
    I don't necessarily want to be able to have the stereo on with no power in the rest of the car, but if I could do that I'd be even happier.

Does anyone know if my problem is car specific? Or is just a sh*tty stereo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Wertz wrote:
    My Pug 106 came fitted with a non-factory stereo when I bought it (Goodman's).
    Trouble is, that it doesn't seem to be wired up correctly...the radio/CD will cut out if I stall the car (I'm still in L-plate land so this happens the odd time) or even when I go from battery-on to igntion starter. Very anoying when you're in the middle of a CD.
    Also my rear speakers have no sound coming from them...

I'm thinking of replacing the unit (for one that does mp3 and has a decent RDS tuner), so when it comes to fitting it, how do I avoid my problem of the power cutting out at start up or stalling? There's a stand-by clock on my current stereo but even the clock goes off when the ignition is off.
    I don't necessarily want to be able to have the stereo on with no power in the rest of the car, but if I could do that I'd be even happier.

Does anyone know if my problem is car specific? Or is just a sh*tty stereo?

I say its something to do with the wiring on the radio hasnt been done right. The person who fitted pobbaly just connected it up but some wires have to be changed ariond, just buy a connector which converts from the peugoet wiring to standard, like this one,

http://www.auto-connect.co.uk/acatalog/1230-02.jpg

Which can be got from halfords i thionk or on the net

http://www.auto-connect.co.uk/acatalog/Harness_Adaptor_Leads.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Thanks for the fast reply...do you know if it's easy to get the little hook type tool to remove the stereo from the dash?

How easy is all this for someone who's never done it? I've messed around inside PCs and set up home audio stuff but not nothing in cars...

[edit] BTW, the car is 01, I think it has an ISO connector....could it be the case that whoever wired it just neglected to do it right and didn't use all the wires?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Wertz wrote:
    Thanks for the fast reply...do you know if it's easy to get the little hook type tool to remove the stereo from the dash?

How easy is all this for someone who's never done it? I've messed around inside PCs and set up home audio stuff but not nothing in cars.

Wertz its very easy to do. Just get yourself the removal keys in Halfords, (if it has a goodmans radio then I would say ISO radio removal key), at then its simply a case of just checking that the original Pug wiring harness is ISO, if it is then no harness adapter needed, simply plug it into the radio. (The harness can only fit in one way due to the shape). I just hope someone didnt butcher the wiring harness on you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Im pretty sure 106's dont have rear speakers unless it was bought as an optional extra. I just put rear speakers in mine the other day. Its fairly easy enough. Also the radio is linked to the ignition so once you turn the key it starts up again. most cd players will start up where you left off. Its not the end of the world though-big deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

These older Goodmans stereos need to be switched on every time the car is started, The unit doesn't remember where in the track it was and starts at the beginning of the song again.

They're supposed to do that. (Argos special)

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure 106's dont have rear speakers unless it was bought as an optional extra. I just put rear speakers in mine the other day. Its fairly easy enough. Also the radio is linked to the ignition so once you turn the key it starts up again. most cd players will start up where you left off. Its not the end of the world though-big deal!

Mine definitely does (4 dr XN)...I even took off a grille to make sure they were there.

So you're saying with it being linked to the ignition that, no matter what way it's wired up there will still be a cut in power at certain points in the ignition sequence?
    Pisses me off no end when I'm well into a CD and a cut in power resets it...

Yeah colm mcm, I know goodmans are bottom of the barrel...seen plenty of their domestic stereos in mate's houses.
    I'm going for a nice kenwood, but only if I know there'll be a definite improvement in functionality...

there is no way to fix the problem, the unit isn't designed to turn back on when there is a current loss, be it from re-starting the engine, or just switching the car on in the first place. it also won't remember how far into the track you are either.
    Halfords have some very cheap big-brand stereos

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

you mightn't need to buy the removal keys - I put a new stereo in my car yesterday and it came with keys in case I needed to remove the stereo. I got this one from pixmania : link

Aye browsing there and pixmania right now...
    Got it down to between a kenwood and a sony.
    Is it a given on decent stereos that they'll have a track memory to over come the loss of track info?
    What about coming back on automatically after a the brief loss in power between battery-on and ignition?

[edit] thx for the link tk123...must have skipped past that one. Aux in and remote. Nice.

yeah, they should all turn back on etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement