Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw knock

Options
  • 19-11-2006 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

I have a slight knock in the right hand front wheel of my 98 318is - jacked it up and found a bit of free play in the wheel, traced it to inner tie rod. I slid the boot off and had someone rock the wheel, but couldn't find the play in the tie rod - now it had moved into the rack.
    I started the engine and felt for free play but it was barely noticeable with the engine running (although when I'm driving, I can hear it at low speeds when starting off and braking)
    Anyone else familiar with this problem; this is my first beemer. My nct is coming up and I'd hate to have to fork out for a new rack, also, the knocking is getting really annoying now.

Does anyone know the interval for changing the timing chain tensioner? (47k on the car now)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

land9 wrote:
    I have a slight knock in the right hand front wheel of my 98 318is - jacked it up and found a bit of free play in the wheel, traced it to inner tie rod. I slid the boot off and had someone rock the wheel, but couldn't find the play in the tie rod - now it had moved into the rack.
    I started the engine and felt for free play but it was barely noticeable with the engine running (although when I'm driving, I can hear it at low speeds when starting off and braking)
    Anyone else familiar with this problem; this is my first beemer. My nct is coming up and I'd hate to have to fork out for a new rack, also, the knocking is getting really annoying now.

Does anyone know the interval for changing the timing chain tensioner? (47k on the car now)
    How does it move from the inner tie rod to the rack? You would be better off getting it up on a ramp and getting it looked at with both front wheels off the ground. I had to replace both inner tie rods on my '97 5 series last year due to play and it made a huge difference. They were cheap also. I think I paid about €50 for the pair and 2hrs labour at my local mechanic.
    I thought the timing chain mechanism on bmw's was maintenance free, even the tensioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

its more than likely the rear wishbone bush is causing the knock. the replacement bushes are nearly twice the size of the original ones fitted. while your at it fit the left hand one as well and save yourself more grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I had it on a lift to check it - checked the ball-joints and bushings, everything else is solid. I put my hand over the boot and felt the knocking underneath, when I removed the boot, I couldn't find any play in the tie-rod - seemed to be inside the rack. I had bought a new tie-rod anyway (only €35)

I've heard from a few sources the 3 series' tensioner can give trouble, hissing being a symptom between 2&3k rpm. I am experiencing this as well, when the car is moving (can't find the hiss at standstill)

Advertisement