Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Steering stiff after tracking done.

Options
  • 19-11-2006 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Got the tracking done on my polo on friday to correct a pull to the right. They corrected the problem, at least I tought, but driving down the road I notice a very slight pull to the right remains. To top it off when I do a turnabout in the road the steering seems stiff when locked.

Since all that happened I have been onto the garage and theres no problem to have them look at it. I reckon I'll give it a few days as suggested by the garage, they say the car just needs a run or whatever, the car is running ok with those minor glitches. Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Check the tyre pressures and wheel balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah - tyre pressures are important. Also check to see if one tyre is worn differently to the other - this could cause a slight pull.

Can you explain the stiffness a little more. Is it stiff in one direction only? Does it 'self centre' as readily as it used to? If you have power steering, have you checked the fluid level recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

crosstownk wrote:
    Yeah - tyre pressures are important. Also check to see if one tyre is worn differently to the other - this could cause a slight pull.

Can you explain the stiffness a little more. Is it stiff in one direction only? Does it 'self centre' as readily as it used to? If you have power steering, have you checked the fluid level recently?

When I lock to the right it seems more stiff than when I locked to the left, say if I was to make a 3 point turn. There is no power steering though. I did go to a tyre place to get the wheels balanced, and after explaing the story to him he said its more than likely the tracking but to give it a few days, and he noticed the tyre pressure was wrong only 22 psi in back left tyre. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Low pressure in the rear tyre is not likely to have any effect on your steering at low speeds. Sure, give it a few days, but I reckon it won't go away. Sounds like something is out of adjustment and/or damaged/worn. If it doesn't, get a second opinion, just to be sure. If something is wrong it will simple result in excessive tyre wear which will cost you more in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

Stiff steering can be very dangerous. If it was not stiff before it went in for adjustment then it should not be now. Did they fit any new parts? Get it seen to asap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement