Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bagged coffee?

• 19-11-2006 7:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I just got a new coffee maker and have been trying different brands. Anyone got any favorites/preferred brands?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My parents have a Gaggio coffee maker and after much experimentation with various brands, we have discovered that the Gaggio brand works best with the machine.

It's probably worth experimenting but if the brand of coffee maker makes it's own coffee you're possibly going to get the best results with their brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Java republic have a lovely organic one but it's quite hard to find. They also have one called Munkey and its nice too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's a Murphy Richards, I don't think they do their own coffee, lol. Bewleys seems pretty good so far though

Haven't tried Java Republic yet, must check it out, think I've seen it in Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

I say this every time.....Ariosa coffee. Try get to the temple bar market and buy some coffee that was roasted only a few days earlier.....fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I say this every time.....Ariosa coffee. Try get to the temple bar market and buy some coffee that was roasted only a few days earlier.....fantastic stuff.
    Agreed, Ariosa Coffee is great, and fresh, and . The owner, Michael, says he will open his online shop "soon" (though he has been saying "soon" for a while now :p ).

I used to get Java Republic beans, but changed to Ariosa because they are so fresh. IMO Java Republic are the next best out there because they are packed on the day of roasting and the freshness sealed in. I grind my own beans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Another vote for Ariosa here.

Apart from knowing Michael since he was about 10 in Ashbourne where he hung around with my brother, he roasts nice coffee and selects nice blends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jimmytwo

Hi - I'm new here but a bit of a coffee fan!! If you want a massive selection of coffee try http://www.hasbean.co.uk they have a massive selection and have used them a few times myself.

The coffee I use most regularly use is the Espresso Blend from RistrettoCoffee http://www.ristrettocoffee.com/shop/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=45 roasted fresh and delivered to my door mmmmm :) - have yet to find one better.

Haven't tried Aroisa - must give them a go as well

jimmytwo wrote:
    Hi - I'm new here but a bit of a coffee fan!! If you want a massive selection of coffee try http://www.hasbean.co.uk they have a massive selection and have used them a few times myself.

Yep....steve at hasbean produces great coffee, I did buy from him at one stage but I found the postage expensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I don't know if it would work with your machine but I get Cubita coffee at the delicitessan in Sligo, it's gorgeous stuff. I make mine in a cafetiere though I don't know if the ground stuff is what you are looking for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've a filter machine, brianthebard, so I'm not sure if it would work.

Any opinions on which is better? Filter vs the french press/cafetière method? Cafetière is stronger isn't it?

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'll definitely be getting Ariosa so :)

• Advertisement

Any opinions on which is better? Filter vs the french press/cafetière method? Cafetière is stronger isn't it?

QUOTE]

Personally I think French press is better than Filter, It is a lot easier to control the the quality of FP. With filter machines the water tends to enter the coffee to hot and leave too cold, + the coffee tends not to get evenly "extracted" Also if you use paper filters they can remove some of the oils(flavor) during brewing...

as far as FP V espresso, I dont think they can be compared. The big advantage FP has over espresso is that is is easier to get right. I actually think it is quite hard to make bad coffee with a FP if you have the right beans! I've been using my espresso machine for about 3 years now and I still pull 'dud shots' on a regular basis. In the past 4 months I have begun to drink more and more FP coffee, I find certain coffee taste better made in the FP than in my silvia.

The bottom line for me is if you are committed to putting a lot of time/effort/money into getting you espresso set up right Then go for it, but if not, stick with a FP, a good grinder and fresh beans......you can still produce fantastic coffee with this setup...

Advertisement