Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paratroopers

Options
  • 19-11-2006 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Well lads, any members of the rdf/pdf gone to the Paracentrum Dutch crowd to get their wings or know anyone who did ?

Was thinking of doing this after xmas and was wondering if anyone had any info on it from an Irish perspective and a "Please Sir can i wear my dutch paratrooper wings on my uniform" standpoint ?

Actually, anyone thinking of doing it or know any group of rdf/pdf lads going doing it in the near future ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have them. Never did get authorisation to wear them on the Irish uniform, though given I bailed to the US about six months later, that doesn't prove much.

Last I heard, the Army had authorised the first batch of jumpers, but none of the subsequent years. Probably petty politics.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

My friend who was RDF with me (Now Gardai) did it and he was congratulated but was told he could not wear the wings on his Combats but could on his Number 1's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Steyr wrote:
    My friend who was RDF with me (Now Gardai) did it and he was congratulated but was told he could not wear the wings on his Combats but could on his Number 1's.

Hurray. :(

As far as my CQ is concerned i "Got" my #1's, in reality i've never gotten them.

Plus it looks like they are a thing of the past anyways. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

ive seen a few in the pdf with them on there dpm's but ive yet to see it on the number ones...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

monosharp wrote:
    Hurray. :(

As far as my CQ is concerned i "Got" my #1's, in reality i've never gotten them.

Plus it looks like they are a thing of the past anyways. Oh well.

far from it, SD1's are NOT a thing of the past, my entire unit (65th A Coy) has number 1's, the issue is either your parent units CQ or your own CQ.

we wear them on a number of occasions each year.

ive never heard that you can wear your wings on any of your issued uniforms. then again, i dont have wings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭komsomol

I've seen the odd senior RDF NCO with wings on their dpms.

And you can do the course in ireland, there are two companies that work along side the defence forces and are acknowledged by them.

I forget the names, but i have a vague ambition to do that course for my birthday next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

Wearing of Parachute Wings

Following representations from RDFRA recently, to the Military authorities, we received a communication indicating that Reserve personnel who participate in and successfully complete the Dutch Parachuting Course, conducted at Texel, without being detailed to undergo the course by D COS (SP), are deemed to have met the criteria laid down by QIC Assessment and Doctrine, Directorate of Defence Forces Training, for parachuting in the Defence Forces.

Permission to wear Foreign Parachute Wings may be granted upon furnishing of the appropriate licence/certificate through the appropriate chain of command to DDFT.

Please check the website www.rdfra.ie This note is reproduced from this website

http://www.irishparatrooper.com/wings.htm
    my self and a few others are planing on doing it next year the difference is with the pdf course you get to wear them on the left over the pocket and the dutch on the right pocket or is it the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

the dutch ones you have to wear on the right becuase they are foreign it the same with medals belonging to you immediate family you wear them on the right..........i done the course and wear the wings!!!

Advertisement