Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant connect to Xbox over home network.

Options
  • 19-11-2006 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Magnet installation at home, which means there is a WAN (I think) in the house. Presumably connected to the outside world via some modem. Not important.

Anyhow. I use My Mac/Airport express to connect to the internet via the WAN. I also have a 4-port ethernet on the WAN that I use for gaming (Xbox/X360/etc). Reason its wired is that Xbox doesnt like WPA (and I do). The Xbox is modded, and I use it as a media center. Here's the problem.

Obviously the Airport express and the 4-port hub are essentially acting as gateways, and both have DHCP servers on the them. But I dont know how to get my Mac to talk to my Xbox over the WAN? Is it possible? Both devices are connected in effect to the same network.

Anyone have a similar setup? Would really really appreciate help with this problem guys, it has me stumped!

Thanks
    Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Hi Stephen

Firstly turn off the DHCP on the Airport Express, you just need one DHCP server on any network. Usually any network works like this:

Internet (wan)->modem->router (Lan - 4 port ethernet etc) wireless or not->PCs/Macs wired and wireless

I presume your airport express is wired into the router either that or your router is wireless and the AE is acting as a bridge, if it's acting as a bridge why use it at all just use the router wirelessly.

Anyway not having modded any of my 4 xboxes not sure how to access it remotely, you could try FTP or web based or a simple share based way of accessing it can you tell me how you do it on the PC or have you done it on the PC I'll then tell you how to do it on the mac.

BUT make sure they're all on the same subnet with the same range of IP addresses that'll be your starting point (see below):

router (4 port ethernet) example only:
    IP: 192.168.0.1
    Sub: 255.255.255.0
    DNS: 83.45.x.x

AE: if it's acting in bridge mode it'll be something like 192.168.0.2

Mac: 192.168.0.3

Xbox: 192.168.0.4 make sure all IP address are within the same range but not the same.

Advertisement