Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vodafone violating the data protection act?

• 19-11-2006 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

whenever i phone vodafone, either from my mobile or a landline, it asks me to enter my number and when i get through to a customer care agent they always say:

welcome to vodafone, how can i help you mr vimes? (obviously not my real name)

it doesn't ask for a date of birth or anything else, so i could type in a random number and get the name of the person who owns that number. that is a violation of the data protection act right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You could probably also argue that the phone book and directory enquiry services also break the same laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

You could probably also argue that the phone book and directory enquiry services also break the same laws.
    i suppose you could but i can have my number ex-directory if i want. vodafone don't seem to give that option.

just remembered that i phoned them off another number before that used to be on vodafone but was ported to meteor. they still addressed me by name. should they even still have the details if i'm not a customer of theirs anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The only way to put this to the test is to enter a random number and then ask for details about the account and see how far you get ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sizzler wrote:
    The only way to put this to the test is to enter a random number and then ask for details about the account and see how far you get ...
    well they won't give you any details beyond that of course but they shouldn't be giving that in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Vodafone have a habit of breaching the data protection act. It's common knowledge that their employees abuse access to their customer’s accounts, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had a complete disregard for this to.

Vodafone have this belief that their policies, t&c's etc supercede that of the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Totally! I knew a Vodafone employee who accessed account's of her friends to find out information on them (i.e. who they were calling etc .,.). It resulted in her finding out that her boyfriend was cheating. Just goes to show, very little security features protecting customer accounts in Vodafone and ultimately leading to a breach in the data protection act amongst other privacy laws. I know for other networks, each time you enter an account for ANY reason, the system requires a note is left on the account as to why the person accessed it. Vodafone, typical. Pft.

Advertisement