Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live if you're gay

Options
  • 19-11-2006 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I never really thought about this. For the most part I don't get any hasle, for holding hand with my bf. But I recently got a glass through are me, " uh ur gay". It got me thinking.

I have to buy a new home soon and lucky money is not an issue, though I may have to compromise on size.

So what area would u live choose, only in dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Transcendant

keynesian wrote:
    I never really thought about this. For the most part I don't get any hasle, for holding hand with my bf. But I recently got a glass through are me, " uh ur gay". It got me thinking.

I have to buy a new home soon and lucky money is not an issue, though I may have to compromise on size.

Where do you live know? I mean like what city? Dublin? What socio-economic class did the individual come from. I have often thorwn glasses at gay people whilst drunk (I am gay) it's just my sensless drunkness. So maybe the individual wasn't actually homophobic?
    I would live somewhere in D6 or D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭keynesian

I live in Dublin 1. I come from d9, to buy into my familys street cost E2m, give or take(I don't have that money).

It could have been a random insinedent, for sure. the insedent happend in temple bar.

I really hope, your joking, why the f*** you throw sh** at ppl.

keynesian wrote:
    I live in Dublin 1. I come from d9, to buy into my familys street cost E2m, give or take(I don't have that money).

It could have been a random insinedent, for sure. the insedent happend in temple bar.

I really hope, your joking, why the f*** you throw sh** at ppl.

well its not like you can live in temple bar now is it. I just am randomly destructive when intoxicated...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RD/ID

That is an interesting question. Many other cities I have lived in have had well known gay friendly areas, but as far as Dublin goes I haven't a clue. I'd say the south side is more traditionally liberal and so on, but that divide is pretty vague these days.

well its not like you can live in temple bar now is it. .

€.5 m will buy u a two room in temple bar square, €.75m will buy a 3 bed room on parlement st, there are a few other for sale. Noise isn't a big issue with modern building. I was think about caz it was central but I've crossed it off the list, now.

RD/ID: don't be fool by the North/south thing it a missconseption. But you right there don't seem to be gay estate, well maybe that place in fairview.

Still I don't want to live in a gay district, more know I'm safe.

• Advertisement

You are going to be safe in the huge majority of areas especially with a budget like that. Why not d14 that is lovely trimbleston apartments on the 11 busroot very very nice.

You are going to be safe in the huge majority of areas especially with a budget like that. Why not d14 that is lovely trimbleston apartments on the 11 busroot very very nice.

I'll have a look. I'll have to take out the map. my I ask where your from?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

RD/ID wrote:
    That is an interesting question. Many other cities I have lived in have had well known gay friendly areas, but as far as Dublin goes I haven't a clue. I'd say the south side is more traditionally liberal and so on, but that divide is pretty vague these days.

Thats rubbish, but i suppose its a topic for an other day.

Yeah, have you thought of just living somewhere you might like? I wouldnt think too much about whether or not an area is gay enough or gay friendly. Any area that people wouldnt want you to live there isnt worth living in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

Heavens above.
    The spellings in this thread.
    The spellings! Lads learn to spell please :D

[STRIKE]insident[/STRIKE] incident!
    [STRIKE]busroot[/STRIKE] bus route
    [STRIKE]missconseption[/STRIKE] misconception.

As for a place to live,if your budget is 500k to 750k,then pick some where very nice along the Luas Route or the new proposed Dublin West train route (Blanch area maybe)
    Put a lot of research into it.
    Forget about gay friendly as being your primary focus and just go for what makes sense ie nice area,public transport etc and property value growth potential (you may want to up sticks and move later you see).
    Most well populated areas in Dublin will have seen the gay before and will have at least an average level of acceptance of it which will be more than in say rural areas.

I wanted to hear experiences of those on the forum, of living condition of open & out gays. This is a treat about how we choose to live, where and with whom. What are the reaction of our nabours to our behavour. Are some of us shirking violets or loud and proud.
    Do we cocoon our selves in gay social blankets?
    Are you the contrast to the straight norm?
    Are you the norm in public and the fantastical in private?
    In saying the where, I was inferring the people, our nabours, from our flat/house mates to the people down the road. Is it better to jump in and find out or can one determine out come to advantage.

{corrections of grammer & spelling welcome}

P.s. no property info required, needless to say an agent can tell me that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

have a look at page 18 of the Johnny Hate Crime Report

48% of reported attacks happened in Dublin 1,7 and 8

http://www.johnny.ie/upload/hatecrimereport.pdf

(however that could also have meant the majority of respondents lived in that area)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I hear Cabra is so gay these days, it's about to be renamed Fabra...

Seriously though I know a lot of gay people live there - whether it's safe is another question! Small houses can be problematic as neighbours soon form their own conclusions. Apartments are far more anonymous IMHO. I'd avoid any inner city locations if I were you and concentrate on areas like Kilmainham, Cabra, Whitehall, Marino, Phibsboro, Rathmines etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

A friend of mine lives in an apartment in the Ifsc, he says there's quite a big gay presence there. In fact the couple across the courtyard from his place regularly put on a display in their bedroom window, and nobody seems to mind!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

keynesian wrote:
    I wanted to hear experiences of those on the forum, of living condition of open & out gays.

I live in Celbridge.
    My next door neighbours are a gay couple who have lived there for 6 years. They are open and have had no major problems. One or two incidents with a couple of kids being stupid, but I believe you'll get that anywhere you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

keynesian wrote:

Somewhere that isn't Ireland, preferably. I think it's about the same all over, to be honest. It's worse in some places like Limerick and a tiny bit better in Cork and Dublin, but roughly the same all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Rozie wrote:
    Somewhere that isn't Ireland, preferably. I think it's about the same all over, to be honest. It's worse in some places like Limerick and a tiny bit better in Cork and Dublin, but roughly the same all over.

I take it you've never been to dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

LiouVille wrote:
    I take it you've never been to dublin?

no actually i would have to agree with him. as a nation we may pride ourselves as being a socially diverse country but in reality we are still one of the most conservative nations in the world in relation to sex ( not gender!), religion, race and sexual orientation. we may have developed economically but i feel culturally things haven't changed much, merely we have changed the way in which we show our discomfort regarding such topics. however if you do decide to live in ireland, dublin would be the best choice. while, as a major capital city, it is still far behind in comparisson with other major cities such as london and new york, it is still reasonably pleasant to live in. as stated before, the south-side would be the best- it goes back to the whole psychological aspect of the situation- that the wealthier you are (no offence to anyone living in the north side!), the more culturally mature you are. you have travelled, experienced new and exciting cultures and are more adaptable and accepting of different groups of people. feel free to argue!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I wouldn't let this bad experience influence you on where you buy a house!!! If money is no issue then i doubt you'll be buying in any of the run down areas in Dublin. So you shouldn't have any major issues wherever you choose.

no actually i would have to agree with him. as a nation we may pride ourselves as being a socially diverse country but in reality we are still one of the most conservative nations in the world in relation to sex ( not gender!), religion, race and sexual orientation. we may have developed economically but i feel culturally things haven't changed much, merely we have changed the way in which we show our discomfort regarding such topics. however if you do decide to live in ireland, dublin would be the best choice. while, as a major capital city, it is still far behind in comparisson with other major cities such as london and new york, it is still reasonably pleasant to live in. as stated before, the south-side would be the best- it goes back to the whole psychological aspect of the situation- that the wealthier you are (no offence to anyone living in the north side!), the more culturally mature you are. you have travelled, experienced new and exciting cultures and are more adaptable and accepting of different groups of people. feel free to argue!:D

I feel sorry for anyone that reads the above and believes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

LiouVille wrote:
    I feel sorry for anyone that reads the above and believes it.
    Well you've certainly put forth a great argument to the contrary.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote:
    Well you've certainly put forth a great argument to the contrary.

People, who talk out their arse that is, conveniently forget that places like tallaght, monkstown, ShanckHill, Dun laoghaire, BallyFermot ect ect are on the south side, while at the same time oblivious to anywhere bar ballymun, finglas, darndale, collock on the northside. You can't make statements like the south side is better than the northside, nor can you make statements like people are more wealthy on the south then north (btw since when did wealth bare someone from being a biggot?). I would like to think that anyone with an ounch of sense would see the flaws in everything put forward by "analyse this", and as such wouldn't require a rebuttle. Apparently I was either wrong about that, or wrong about you...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sure it's the same in Cork where the southside is meant to be the skanger free paradise full of wealth and riches, completely ignoring the fact that the likes of Togher, Mahon and Wilton are to be found on the southside. As for analyse this's post, I stopped reading after the first sentence went on for more than 4 lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

LiouVille wrote:
    Apparently I was either wrong about that, or wrong about you...
    Not actually from Dublin myself (although I do live here now) and wouldn't have known the whereabouts of the places you mentioned. (also wouldn't be one to join in a northside/southside debate, because I acknowledge my lack of knowledge).

And now, thanks to you kind sir, I am just that little bit wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paadzer

Brighton is great - about 40 of the 150 people I work with are gay. Have a lesbian who lives next door and a gay couple of live downstairs and a gay friend who lives a few doors up the road and loads of bars and clubs both gay and straight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

keynesian wrote:
    Where to live if your Gay

A house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

Stark wrote:
    Sure it's the same in Cork where the southside is meant to be the skanger free paradise full of wealth and riches, completely ignoring the fact that the likes of Togher, Mahon and Wilton are to be found on the southside. As for analyse this's post, I stopped reading after the first sentence went on for more than 4 lines.
    This is both OT and nit-picking but "the likes of.. Wilton"? It's one of the best parts of the city! And officially 'Cork 4' you know (although no one uses postcodes there yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 trawingtroll

Sweet wrote:
    A house?
    your a bright spark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 limestrawberry

i live in ballymun and have never had anything bad happen to me as of.ive only been here a month though and people do tend to get stabbed eventually here(or so i have been told)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

A lot of gay people in the IFSC. The Gasworks on South Lotts Road is a gay-friendly area too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

i live in ballymun and have never had anything bad happen to me as of.ive only been here a month though and people do tend to get stabbed eventually here(or so i have been told)

Parts of Ballymun are rough as a badger's ass, no doubt about that. But somehow I can't see everyone who lives there getting stabbed. Ballymun is a big place too, there are some nice areas there. They try to refer to themselves as Santry and the like though. :p You just need to employ common sense, know the areas to avoid at night and the like.

Advertisement