Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Hotspots..

Options
  • 19-11-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not fully grasping the idea of Eircom Hotspots..
    An eircom hotspot subscription offers unlimited wireless broadband access to any eircom hotspot location, via your own username and password, with over 900 locations available nation-wide.

3 hotspot subscription options

Existing eircom broadband customers
    Order an eircom hotspot subscription for just €12.10 (incl. VAT).

eircom customers without broadband
    Order an eircom hotspot subscription for just €30.25 (incl. VAT).

Non-eircom customers
    Avail of an eircom hotspot subscription by logging onto eircom.net.
    So if i state my parent's account details, who will still have Eircom BB at the residential address, i can order a hotspot subscription for a apartment (which is practically above a hotspot.. i've checked!) with unlimited wireless broadband for €12.10.

Surely there must be a catch?! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

basquille wrote:
    I'm not fully grasping the idea of Eircom Hotspots..

So if i state my parent's account details, who will still have Eircom BB at the residential address, i can order a hotspot subscription for a apartment (which is practically above a hotspot.. i've checked!) with unlimited wireless broadband for €12.10.

Surely there must be a catch?! :confused:

As I've stated before, Eircom do some very dubious and misleading advertising. They claim their 12G capped broadband is "Unlimited" aswell. I would imagine there is a download limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

As would i, Niall..

.. and i'm gonna contact Eircom about it later today to get the full story so will let you know what i find out.

The whole "unlimited wireless broadband" thing definitely raises some issues considering it's Eircom and i'd imagine a good majority of people live within range of a Hotspot (there's feckin' tons of them in Sligo alone) so there must be a reason why they're not availing of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

They couldn't cap your download limit at a Hotspot. That would be very hard to do. Personally, I would use hotspots for email etc. They arn't safe without a VPN etc.

I was about to sign up for the free Hotspot service for existing BB users, but hey typical eircom, its a promotion until the 22nd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

It would be very hard to cap a hotspot

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The login page would also be a pain in the arse. Have you checked that all ports are open at hotspots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

< <
    -

> >
    -

Umm guys this post is from 2006, what gives?

MC

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

< <
    -

> >
    -

Umm guys this post is from 2006, what gives?

MC
    LMAO.

I never noticed :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That's funny (not HA HA obviously).. but I made this post when I was moving into a new apartment and I'm moving out of the same apartment in a week's time.

At least I get a good timeframe of how long I've been there! :D

Advertisement