Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vampire motion for SU council

Options
  • 19-11-2006 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

"I, Paddy Phelan, have included the following line into a motion submitted for council on the 27th of November:

"Motion regarding the refurbishment of the trap
    Council further notes the popularity of "the trap" amongst students, particularly amongst vampires who have nowhere else to go during daylight hours.
    ...."

Paul Lynam who originally had the idea for the motion about refurbishing the trap is aware that I am including the line though it is not his preference.

I DID NOT INCLUDE THIS LINE OUT OF DISRESPECT FOR COUNCIL.

Though this may seem like a joke, I have a serious point I would like to make with this line.

Many people have raised the concern about the deteriorating perception of the SU council among the student body. Words such as irrelevant, elitist and bureaucratic are often bandied about. Hack and self important are other labels attached to council and councillors.

At the last council Elisa wanted to defer her motion untill the 27th. There were no objections but the chair went through a needlessly bureaucratic rigamaro (for all you lovely people who were upset by the use of the word disincentivise in barrys report).

Now the motion on the trap is written in such a way as it can be easily taken in parts or amended as the vampires bit is not material to the motions effect.

However I ask you to leave the motion intact.
    It will send out the signal that council is not pompous ivory tour people think it is.
    The student union should in all things strive to be approachable.
    Yes it is a serious body, but we must be careful not to take ourselves too seriously.

I would ask that the vampire bit of the motion be discussed here separately to the discussion of the motion on refurbishing the trap as a whole.

My 2c
    Paddy Phelan"

I posted the above on the su newswire, basically I think council needs to do a lot to appear more approachable and less pompous and by including that line in the motion Im doing my part.

College is supposed to be fun

I thought those of you here who seem to dislike the SU would have some interest in this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

At first I laughed but I actually really really agree with this. In general people involved in the union like using big elaborate words to make a very simple point.Really frustrates me!

Was so confused with what Michael Clarke was saying to me at the last council meeting.He could have just said 'Do you want to defer your motion to next council?' but instead it was like'in accordance with section 9b of the UCD student union constitution blah blah...' No wonder council meetings go on for hours......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

We're hip, we're cool. We're down with you 'wacky' college kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sangre wrote:
    We're hip, we're cool. We're down with you 'wacky' college kids!

lol..it does seem a bit like that:)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

and this isnt a Poor man's attempt of the Wands and Septures montion in trinity....

sure...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

and this isnt a Poor man's attempt of the Wands and Septures montion in trinity....

sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

not being a hack, I have no idea what you are talking about. This idea came up organically earlier today.

dajaffa and I were talking about mandating the IT Comm officer to campaign for all student cards to bear student numbers in binery (for reasons specific to the current IT officer), then I got the idea to mandate the welfare officer to campaign on behalf of vampires but couldnt get a seconder so I did this instead.

Nothing to do with trinity, unlike my last motion which was all about the pav and cans and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I find that motion totally inconsiderate of those who live their lives as vampires. It shows an inherent lack of understanding of the plight of vampires, and I for one am against such a frivolous and unthinking abuse of said minority group. I think a counter-motion should be submitted, and I expect the full support of the Welfare office. Nobody who is so inconsiderate of another person's way of life deserves new paint and seating.

(j/k by the way);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

dajaffa and I were talking about mandating the IT Comm officer to campaign for all student cards to bear student numbers in binery (for reasons specific to the current IT officer), then I got the idea to mandate the welfare officer to campaign on behalf of vampires but couldnt get a seconder so I did this instead.
    That was me you tool!! :) My ingenious idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

tool1.jpg

Sorry, thats right, and i knew that

Advertisement