Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Help on Film Access

• 19-11-2006 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

I am a young person making a film, and I have reached some difficulties.

A scene in my film requires a shot of the actor in a Garda car, being driven away at Leinster House. There is another scene of a politician in the same place. Baffling, I know.

Anyway, to put a long story short; If you in anyway can guide me or help me do these scenes. I would love it if a Garda could actually take part in the film, and the same for the politician- so if you can help, please contact me.
    Any help is a help!

Your help is greatly and sincerely appreciated.

Dave. (metalmosher)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Anyway, to put a long story short; If you in anyway can guide me or help me do these scenes. I would love it if a Garda could actually take part in the film, and the same for the politician- so if you can help, please contact me.
    Any help is a help!

The official nice way is to simply ask, if you have any friends in the gardai, or a friend of your parents ask to see if they are willing to help you out. There might be some legal problems, but if you dont know them (i dont know them) and he doesnt know them, then you might slip by with it if no one pulls you or him up over it much later when you are showing your film.

For the politicion write to your local TD or someone hoping to be your local TD, its election year next year, so any oppurtunity to show support for the local community in any way etc etc will be jumped on by any politicion with half a brain.

That would be the most straightforward and probably the most genuine way of doing it.

Then you can try and fake it:

The Hollywood way: Actors, dress up your own car to create the impression inside that its a cop car and shoot footage of actual cop cars, edit the footage together, if your editor is skilled enough you could create the illusion that the car they are inside is the same car we are seeing passing leinster house.

Or you could try it Geurilla filmmaking style, which is camp your fat ass outside leinster house and try and catch footage of a politician and then again edit that with your own footage again like above. If I remember correctly some politicians do tend to give interviews to the news outside places like leinster house so your chances of catching one and shooting it quickly without anyone spotting you is quite good.

But you could be putting yourself into alot of grief later on if same politician doesnt want to be associated with your film and throws a legal spanner at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

I remember contacting the garda press office before to try and borrow a uniform and they just said to get one off a garda if we knew one.

So I think that's your best bet. If they are hesitant just say the Press Office said it was cool. Yes, i'm condoning lying. What of it!!!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Definitely if u know a garda get in touch with them. The guards don't have any problem helping people out as long as the film is not about ripping them apart. The only problem I can see is the actor driving the car. The actor would not be insured to drive a state car and if caught the garda would be severely disciplined if not sacked. A solution is to have the actor get into the patrol car, pan the camera out???? ( i'm not a film director ), cut to garda driving the car away.

Just a thought,maybe a crappy one at that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MetalMosher

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    The official nice way is to simply ask, if you have any friends in the gardai, or a friend of your parents ask to see if they are willing to help you out. There might be some legal problems, but if you dont know them (i dont know them) and he doesnt know them, then you might slip by with it if no one pulls you or him up over it much later when you are showing your film.

For the politicion write to your local TD or someone hoping to be your local TD, its election year next year, so any oppurtunity to show support for the local community in any way etc etc will be jumped on by any politicion with half a brain.

That would be the most straightforward and probably the most genuine way of doing it.

Then you can try and fake it:

The Hollywood way: Actors, dress up your own car to create the impression inside that its a cop car and shoot footage of actual cop cars, edit the footage together, if your editor is skilled enough you could create the illusion that the car they are inside is the same car we are seeing passing leinster house.

Or you could try it Geurilla filmmaking style, which is camp your fat ass outside leinster house and try and catch footage of a politician and then again edit that with your own footage again like above. If I remember correctly some politicians do tend to give interviews to the news outside places like leinster house so your chances of catching one and shooting it quickly without anyone spotting you is quite good.

But you could be putting yourself into alot of grief later on if same politician doesnt want to be associated with your film and throws a legal spanner at you.
    I do agree. The politicians may do anything for votes, so fingers crossed.
    Thank you for reply!

film_gonzo wrote:
    I remember contacting the garda press office before to try and borrow a uniform and they just said to get one off a garda if we knew one.

So I think that's your best bet. If they are hesitant just say the Press Office said it was cool. Yes, i'm condoning lying. What of it!!!!!:p
    So, by the sound of it, I more than likely have to obtain a costume from a real life Garda. Pity. Better dry clean it for them too! I should really try and find a Guard! Guards anyone!?! :)

Thanks for help!

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote:
    Definitely if u know a garda get in touch with them. The guards don't have any problem helping people out as long as the film is not about ripping them apart. The only problem I can see is the actor driving the car. The actor would not be insured to drive a state car and if caught the garda would be severely disciplined if not sacked. A solution is to have the actor get into the patrol car, pan the camera out???? ( i'm not a film director ), cut to garda driving the car away.

Just a thought,maybe a crappy one at that...
    Well, the actor is only seen getting into car, being driven by Police, so it's not too hard. Any contact for the Garda station that would help- I was told that Leinster House may object to filming out, despite us not slagging the force!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Well, the actor is only seen getting into car, being driven by Police, so it's not too hard. Any contact for the Garda station that would help- I was told that Leinster House may object to filming out, despite us not slagging the force!

Best contact would be the local community officer for that area, probably based in Pearse St. If you get no joy there try making an appointment with the Chief Super or Super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

TheNog wrote:
    Best contact would be the local community officer for that area, probably based in Pearse St. If you get no joy there try making an appointment with the Chief Super or Super.

The more damaging thing is for the production is if you don't recieve proper clearance and don't try get the form.

You're suggesting film with a character leaving Dail Eireann, get into a car with a Garda presence. Do you really think the garda on duty won't object.

To be cynical. I'd suggest you keep a three or four bottles of whiskey in reserver, and if theres anything iffy get the politican to suggest the garda take em as compliments

Keep in mid that, nothing will probably will work, you will not be able to work and film outside the Dail without a budget. Try and think of a script alternative. A Party headquarters? FF and FG headquarters on are the same street as the bug post houses and dublin. Adapt your script to the situation.

Advertisement