Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paint/Bodywork damaged from overhead pipes.

Options
  • 19-11-2006 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, so I bought myself a lovely Volvo C70 coupe recently (02) and a few weeks back parked her in an underground car park at a hotel in Killarney. The following morning I noticed there were splashes on the top and side of the car. Kind of looked something like bird s**t would do and obviously came from the overhead pipes.

Anyway in my folly and haste to get home I ignored it thinking it would come off at the next wash but unfortunately it hasn't. I could scrape it off the side window with my nail, but I'm afraid to scrape it off the bodywork with in the same manner in case I damage the paintwork. So I'm looking for suggestions on (a) what it could have been that dripped from the pipes and (b) what would the best way to get it off. I've tried using white spirits but it doesn't seem to soften it. It can be scraped off with your nails (not easliy mond you) but I'm looking for some suggestions on how to safely and best get this crap off my car, all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

possibly a sweage pipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Try Tar Remover on it, if that fails I would recommend using T-Cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Possibly, that's a pretty unpleasant thought! :p
    It's left white marks on the car, though.

might be worth getting the area professionally buffed. I'm thinking the laquer may be eaten away though. what colour is the car?

It's midnight black... I guess I'd better see to it sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

any point in going back to the hotel? do you remember where you were parked?

I do, I remember exactly. There were 3 side parking spaces opposite the forward parking spaces. Now I know why they were empty... If it turns out there is damage done I'll definitely be taking it up with the hotel. I probably will anyway, tomorrow so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

maybe better to approach them in person, rather than ringing. don't give them the opportunity to repair it*.

(EDIT: *it being the pipe)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Take plenty of photos of the affected areas, and be sure that anything you try isn't going to make it worse. If you think the damage is permanent or needs professional repair, get a couple of quotes and consult a solicitor before approaching / contacting the hotel. Hopefully, if the hotel is reputable and well-known, they won't jerk you around.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did the hotel have a disclaimer saying that they are not responsible for any damage, up in the car park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Hi folks, so I bought myself a lovely Volvo C70 coupe recently (02) and a few weeks back parked her in an underground car park at a hotel in Killarney. The following morning I noticed there were splashes on the top and side of the car. Kind of looked something like bird s**t would do and obviously came from the overhead pipes.

Anyway in my folly and haste to get home I ignored it thinking it would come off at the next wash but unfortunately it hasn't. I could scrape it off the side window with my nail, but I'm afraid to scrape it off the bodywork with in the same manner in case I damage the paintwork. So I'm looking for suggestions on (a) what it could have been that dripped from the pipes and (b) what would the best way to get it off. I've tried using white spirits but it doesn't seem to soften it. It can be scraped off with your nails (not easliy mond you) but I'm looking for some suggestions on how to safely and best get this crap off my car, all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Jabberwocky, I would get it sorted straight away. These things can etch themselves onto paintwork and eat into the clear coat very quickly. Any good valeting company should be able to remove it for a nominal enough charge, with either a strong degreaser or possibly a clay bar and follow up with a polish, to restore paint lustre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kbannon wrote:
    Did the hotel have a disclaimer saying that they are not responsible for any damage, up in the car park
    AFAIR those disclaimers are a limited defence for the hotel. It basically covers third party damage that the hotel are not responsible for. You could easily argue that this situation wouldn't be covered as it was down to negligence in the maintenance of the pipes that caused the damage to Jabberwocky's car. As an example a mate of mine successfully claimed against his apartment block management company when his car was stolen from the underground car park as the main car security gates that might have stopped them hadn't been functional for two weeks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Very helpful indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

More then likely a deposit from the concrete slabs then something from a pipe.

I see it alot in work and its very easy to get rid of with the right chemical.

Your wasting your time trying to buff it off and tar and glue
    doesnt get it off I have tried before and found only one thing works properly.

If your in the Dublin area PM me for my number and I'll get it off. The chemical doesnt even need to be rubbed into the car. It will not harm the paint finish. The section will however need to be waxed after.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi Jabberwocky
    Tar removers and good car polish are supposed to remove deposits like this...BUT the best I've ever seen is called "Panel Wipe" Its used in signage industry before application of signs. I had heavy deposits of tar/sludge on car for 24 hours and other products (including industrial tar remover) had no effect. The smallest amount of Panel Wipe on cloth chased the stuff off car. So effective, I got worried about it damaging paintwork and ran for kettle of water.Painters use it liberally and don't rinse off before applying signs
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I could guarantee that if the deposit is a lime/concrete sediment , polish and tar remover will not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

Been there before, had friends car with same problem, tried cutting compound, t-cut, cellulose thinners you name it nothing worked.
    He rang me after to say his mum saw it and removed it with vinegar!!
    Give it a try, definitely wont damage paintwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I work in a building with an underground car park that has this problem - park in the wrong place and you'll find this concrete deposit all over your car.

You can shift it with vinegar, but if you have it, and the deposit is bad, use alloy wheel cleaner - however you aren't supposed to leave it on the painted alloy wheels for too long, and this also applies to the paint on your car(!), so only apply it when you have a supply of fresh water (hosepipe) to wash it off after the time given on the instructions (usually 60-90 seconds).

Advertisement