Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What sat nav to buy

Options
  • 19-11-2006 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest an easy to use sat nav?Dont need european maps on it
    just something real easy with clear speech directions,
    Sorry new to this sat nav business:confused::confused:
    And apologies if I am on the wrong forum:) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dixons are doing a few special offers at the moment.

I have one using Route 66 software (which i find brilliant most of the time), but apparently there are systems with newer maps available now.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Big thread about this on the gadgets forum. I bought the airis one on the strength of it and am delighted with it. Can even get it to play divx!

Gadget link

Buy it from here

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I got the Airis too and am impressed.
    Best value for money I found

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

mik_da_man wrote:
    I got the Airis too and am impressed.
    Best value for money I found

Mik
    Thanks very much for the replies I seen it in Tesco along with the Tom Tom
    and the Garmin but thought it was cheap because it was c**p
    but now I know not to judge a book etc.
    once it is easy to use it will suit me.
    Cheers and thanks all.;)

You saw the airis one in tesco? How much as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MarkR wrote:
    Big thread about this on the gadgets forum. I bought the airis one on the strength of it and am delighted with it. Can even get it to play divx!

Gadget link

Buy it from here

I got the Airis too and it works great. How'd you manage to get it to do divX tho??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MarkR wrote:

hey mark, thinking of buying one for use around Dublin especially but as you can see from my sign Im off to Oz soon and going to drive alot so was wondering can you load on the Oz maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We use the one from Aldi - very good.

Big Nelly - you should be able to buy/download Navteq maps on/onto a memory card and put it into your satnav.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A question to those who already have and use sat navs:

What do you actually do when you don't have a specific address for your destination?

Say you want to go to a beach that you've heard of ...you know where it is on the map, what you don't know is how to get there from where you are currently.

Can you just pull up a a large scale map on your sat nav, zoom into the appropriate area and then mark the beach (or a road near it) as your destination and the sat nav will calculate your route for you?

Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

peasant wrote:

What do you actually do when you don't have a specific address for your destination?

Say you want to go to a beach that you've heard of ...you know where it is on the map, what you don't know is how to get there from where you are currently.

Can you just pull up a a large scale map on your sat nav, zoom into the appropriate area and then mark the beach (or a road near it) as your destination and the sat nav will calculate your route for you?

Thanks
    Funny you should ask that because I want to know too! I know it is possible with Microsoft AutoRoute and is a feature that I would use very often (and would miss a lot if it was missing)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Usually there's some way of just marking a position on the map and saying "Route to here ...". There's also Points of Interest, where you don't necessarily know the address of a place. It would depend on the particular product whether this included beaches, as an example, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Got a Garmin i3, in the carphone whare house for €200 decent bit of kit has all you could want driving around the city and counties, eats 2XAA bateries once every 3 days so ya might want to get rechargeable ones.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

peasant wrote:

Thanks

You can definitely do this on the Garmin Nuvi 310 anyway, if you don't have an exact address you can just select a point on the map (this can be a little fiddly so you have to zoom way in), then hit Go and it will plot a route as close as it can, which is usually pretty close indeed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You can do this on the Airis too.
    Just navigate to Point on Map

Real easy

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

MarkR wrote:
    299 euro tom tom 399 garmin 369

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Would the Airis XXL be worth the extra 50euro for the bigger 3.5" screen?
    I think the 2.5" on the regular airis might be more difficult to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Would the Airis XXL be worth the extra 50euro for the bigger 3.5" screen?
    I think the 2.5" on the regular airis might be more difficult to see?
    It's not clear but I think they both have a 3.5" screen.
    T920XXL wrote:
    " As for ergonomics, the T920XXL is equipped with a TFT 3.5" touchscreen and a user-"
    T920EF wrote:
    The T920 is doted with a 3.5" TFT touchscreen and a very user-friendly graphic interface giving you immediate access to all functions at all times.
    however it states below in the tech info sheet "2.5" TFT Touchscreen"

Does the XXL just not refer to the 2gig SD card you get? Both are listed as having the exact same dimensions and weight
    Dimensions 112 x 78 x 24 mm
    Weight 178 g

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The linked to thread is a bit too big to read through, would anyone be able to just give a quick few points as to why they chose the airis over the gmini or visa versa please?

I need, in order of importance, Dublin, Ireland, UK and Europe maps, will both devices offer these as is or do you need to buy extras? How much is a new map?

Which one of them offers the bluetooth connectivity and aux in for mp3 players or do they both offer this?

Would really appreciate if someone could help with the above:)

I also have the opportunity to buy this 2nd hand for about €150. Any opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Volvoboy wrote:
    Got a Garmin i3, in the carphone whare house for €200 decent bit of kit has all you could want driving around the city and counties, eats 2XAA bateries once every 3 days so ya might want to get rechargeable ones.
    -VB-

Why not use the in car power supply or did they not give that to you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

cormie wrote:

I also have the opportunity to buy this 2nd hand for about €150. Any opinions?

That's a nice looking display. How much are these new? I see it uses the Navteq software, so it should be well up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's a nice looking display. How much are these new? I see it uses the Navteq software, so it should be well up to date.

I can't find much info on it online. The one I'm being offered is the Sikura Galileo v3. Hard to find any info in English on it, but it seems to be going for €300 here. All the sites with info on it seem to be Italian:confused:

Advertisement