Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know a good Irish supplier of graphics cards?

Options
  • 19-11-2006 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Anyone know a good Irish supplier of graphics cards?

I live in Wexford so, try as near to there as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Best buy online -- Komplett.ie is a boardsie favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Octavarium

Yeah I tried them, not as cheap as people say...
    Thanks anyway.

I'm lookin for a Nvidia Geforce 6600GT...

Anyone know where I can find one for a maximum of 60 Euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Octavarium wrote:
    Thanks anyway.

not looking for much, are you?

good luck getting a new 6600GT for under €60. if that's your budget you have no option but to go 2nd hand afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

€60 is a bit optimistic me thinks!

irlmarc wrote:
    €60 is a bit optimistic me thinks!
    Way way optimistic -- I doubt you'd find a vanilla 6600 for that price.
    B-Grade.

I suppose the OP could eBay it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

Pardon me but I just couldn't resist giving some unasked-for advice. The 6600GT is history. Let me tell you why:

* Only 128MB of RAM (Not enough memory to store high quality textures which will adversely impact performance in newer games)

* Older HDR engine (Turning HDR on will result in a greater performance hit, making it less attractive for you to turn it on)

* It can get a little bit hot so it needs a fan to keep it cool. If you are one of those people who hate the whining sounds of fans changing speeds in response to increased demands, don't buy this card.

There's a much better alternative around. It's the 7600GS. Check out the benefits it brings to the table for you:

* Slightly faster than the 6600GT

* 256MB of RAM (double that of 6600GT!). This means better quality textures in games and also better performance in games that simply need more RAM.

* Up to date HDR engine (Once you turn the HDR effects on, the performance impact is much less than that suffered by the 6600GT. So with this card, you are more likely to enjoy HDR effects)

* This card runs very cool because it usually uses a passive heatsink to keep cool. Absence of a fan means you can keep enjoying working in a peaceful and quiet environment.

There is also another option for you. It's the Radeon X1650 Pro. The advantages here are:

* Better anisotropic filtering quality than the 7600GS.

* The ability to enjoy antialiasing in combination with HDR. This is not possible with the 7600GS.

Both the 7600GS and Radeon X1650 Pro are available for reasonable prices. I would incline towards the X1650 Pro but the 7600GS isn't bad either. You really should buy one of these two. Hope this helps you make a better purchase. Have fun!

Erm... both those cards cost €130-150... OP says he has... €60...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Octavarium wrote:
    Thanks anyway.

PC World did have them awhile back in Galway new for 49.99, bought one for someone here actually! :D

Although the only card they have now for 49.99 is - wait for it - the awesome 6200.

Yeah I was lookin' at the 6200 alright...
    I'm only after a card for the MMORPG "Guild Wars".

Didn't know the 6600 was so expensive, the techie's at guildwarsguru.com said it was the best I'll get for my money at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions for a graphics card suitable for Guild Wars at a budget of 60 Euro?

Octavarium wrote:
    Yeah I was lookin' at the 6200 alright...
    I'm only after a card for the MMORPG "Guild Wars".

Didn't know the 6600 was so expensive, the techie's at guildwarsguru.com said it was the best I'll get for my money at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions for a graphics card suitable for Guild Wars at a budget of 60 Euro?

What card are you using at the moment? Guild Wars runs well on pretty basic cards. The 6200 should run it at high settings - a friend on mine runs it well on an old Fx5200, which are otherwise notorious for being crap.

• Advertisement

Im working with the internal video card, as in it came with the PC.
    According to the Direct X Diagnostics Tool its an "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family 128MB".

I got just above mediocre results using this program to test my PC's compatibility with Guild Wars: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com
    (excellent program, try it!)

But I want maximum results, not just mediocre...

If you want "maximum" results on a budget, prepare to spend a bit more IMHO.
    Firstly -- try to up your RAM to 1Gb, then spend the rest on a graphics card -- of course, you need to know whether you can drop in PCI-Express or AGP (good), or plain old PCI cards (crap).
    Top picks I can see on Komplett are:
    • AGP: ATi Radeon 9600 (€60)
    • PCI-e: nVidia 7300GT (€86-100)

... yeah, not much according to me :D

Someones selling a 7300GT for 40 euro on adverts. Pretty good deal considering its about the same as a 6600GT. Some people just see '7300' and immediately equate to crap.

HavoK wrote:
    Someones selling a 7300GT for 40 euro on adverts. Pretty good deal considering its about the same as a 6600GT. Some people just see '7300' and immediately equate to crap.
    Some people don't know of the 7300GT -- aka the 7600GS-killer.
    Especially the ones with GDDR3 -- yum! :D

Anyway, it can all be blamed on the 7300GS' failure to provide any decent performance when it was launched. It was, to put it mildly, sh!te.

Advertisement