Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I clip my Boxer's nails?

Options
  • 19-11-2006 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Do I have to take any precautions or anything? Can I just use a human clippers? It seems straight-forward, but I'm just afraid of hurting her, y'know? :(

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Oh god be careful
    If in doubt don't do it
    i trained as a groomer for a year and still dread the oul nails
    If they are clear you can see the bloodline running through them so you know to cut below that - black nails - forget it - it's so hard. you need to shave a teeny bit off - bit by bit to get it right
    you need to use some proper dog nail clippers - there are various types - ones like plyers - for the more experienced hand and ones with a guillotine type thingy where you place the nail in so you can see the amount you are clipping.
    I would say for the sake of a tenner pop her / him to the vets if they are black - the blood flow from a nail is bad if you get it wrong !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

DaveMcG wrote:
    Do I have to take any precautions or anything? Can I just use a human clippers? It seems straight-forward, but I'm just afraid of hurting her, y'know? :(

Thanks

Is a special dog nail clippers you can get to do the trick, take your time getting them used to the clippers otherwise you will have a battle on your hands!

Incidently, seeing as you are going to Thailand in 6 months whats happening to the boxer!!

(From another boxer owner)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I have a family, so they'll be looking after her while I'm away.

Looks like I'll just get the vet to do it, I don't really wanna risk hurting her.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

DaveMcG wrote:
    I have a family, so they'll be looking after her while I'm away.

Looks like I'll just get the vet to do it, I don't really wanna risk hurting her.

Thanks!

Probably wise for a first time, just whatever you do dont let them physically hold him/her down it freaks them out!!!

Let her spend some time getting used to the clippers, an idea might be to ask the vet if u can borrow their spare for a day or two before hand and have it close to the boxer on a couple of occasions making sure u get it to click or whatever so he/she gets used to the noise and also play with his/her paws to ensure they are used to their feet being handled....

And thats my mouthfull for tonight :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You should probably get dog nail clippers at a vet or petstore, let the vet show you how to do it once. Get styptic powder for putting on a nail to stop the bleeding if it is cut too short. If you are not confident, then just let the vet do it. Your dog could be terrible with nail clipping for the rest of her life if you end up making a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

I have a pug and he is terrible for letting me cut his nails. He's a squirmer (SP!) and the minute he see's the clippers he runs!! It is a trauma for me never mind him!!

I have never hurt him before and have always just shaved bits off, but he goes beserk! Same with cleaning his face folds!

I learned to clips his nails from when I first got him, I got the breeder to show me how to do it and I have been fine ever since.

My brother has a boxer and I didnt realise how hard it would be to cut his dog's nails! They are so much tougher/ harder to clip than a pug's!

My advice is to learn how to do them and feel confident. Let the pup know that you are in control!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

as others have said get the vet to teach you the first time, if you're still unsure get the vet to watch you do it the second time. I've clipped my cat's nails & would be happy to do a cat's nails (after being shown by the vet) but would not try & do my dog's nails without being taught properly. As for the clippers you can get the proper ones in any pet shop (think mine cost €5 / €6 from an online pet shop so they're not too expensive either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The vet said that they were fine, the blood vessel is down very low so if you cut them they'll bleed. But they're a grand length anyway.

Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

If a dog is exercised regularly on a hard surface i.e. footpath this helps to keep the nails short. I bring my dog to the vet for regular check ups and she's never needed a nail clipping. It may depend on the breed though.

Advertisement