Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii First day sales figures

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

There will always be a game on all three of the current competing new consoles that will blow people away, thus guaranteeing a steady uptake of the consoles. Sony however is in the most precarious position due to the hefty loss it's suffering on every PS3 unit. I expect all three consoles to do well. If I had the cash, I would get all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Actually they're aren't in all that great shape at the moment. The laptop battery recall has hit them hard. Their profits are down 94% this year and the company has lost 40% of it's value over the last 5 years.

I wish people would stop saying this as it's quite misleading. It gives the impression that Sony has been declining in value consistently over the past few years, which simply isn't true.

The highest price Sony shares reached in this period was $59.40 on may 24th 2002, for a couple of months before and after that date shares were worth around the mid $50 mark. On April 25th 2003 shares plumeted to $23.92. Its current price is just over the $40 point. If one wanted, they could twist the figures and state that Sony has actually increased in value by over 67% in the last 3 and a half years.

This year the share price had been in the mid to high $40s, even hitting $52.29. Since the battery fiasco the price dropped $37.49 but is now back up to just over $40.

The battery mess has cost Sony a fortune but the fact that it still managed to post a profit while incurring the huge costs of the battery recall and the costs related to ps3 development and launch show that Sony is in quite a strong position although the ruling by the EU on the Sony BMG deal may cause the the merger to be reversed. Sony would obviously lose quite a bit of its value if the ps3 bombed, but it would certainly not be the ruin of the company.

I'm sure most of you won't find this the most thrilling post, but I'm just tired of seeing misleading posts surrounding Sony's condition so I thought I'd post my take on the situation. This exciting post was brought to you by google finance, which is more fun than any of the next gen games released so far! :)

Advertisement