Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So any idea when the ban on talking about certain gigs will be lifted?

Options
  • 20-11-2006 1:35am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is there any update on this, as lets face it things have gone down hill drastically since it was brought in. I'm not disputing the fact that it needed to come in. I would just like to know if anything at all has changed or will changed cos it's been the best part of 6 months now.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Moved to Feedback.

As far as I know there's no date set. When legal wranglings are done and dusted there will be a decision made. Personally I don't think things have gone downhill drastically, the Gigs/Events forum sees as much (if not more) use as it did before.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I find that hard to believe, and feedback is a great place to put a music topic in. As ever you're a great help... Great way to promote open discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yep, there's no projected timeframe, but I can assure that legal proceedings are still underway and the ban will be lifted once advised to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I find that hard to believe
    It'll be done when its done. Such is the way with legal matters, cooking and Duke Nukem Forever.
    feedback is a great place to put a music topic in
    Those who cannot be mentioned deal with more than music. Anyhow, its a discussion about a site policy, not an individual boards one, so Feedback is the perfect place for it.
    Great way to promote open discussion
    I don't see anyone trying to silence anyone. Quite the opposite actually, allow more people - including more relevant people - to become involved more readily.

Unless of course you aren't specifically referring to this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The ban on topics about a certain group of people will be lifted when the legal case is settled and when Boards.ie ltd solicitors say when it is safe to do so.

Open discussion to a degree you mean OP. It's the kind of, too open of a discussion that has us here talking about this issue in the first place.

If we have got by for 6 months now, I can't see why we cannot get by for another 6 or 12 months. You're not tied to boards to talk about a certain band or event, the internet is open to other sites that will allow the discussion of them.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Theres no even reason for the ban, stupid childish **** by the admins "oooh im not talking to them and wont let them have publicity on our site weh weh weh" get over it ffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I personally think it would be childish to ignore the advice of your solicitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Lorax wrote:
    Theres no even reason for the ban, stupid childish **** by the admins "oooh im not talking to them and wont let them have publicity on our site weh weh weh" get over it ffs..

Go google and find out what the story is, cos clearly you don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Lorax wrote:

You do know that they are doing this because of actual legal advise on pending legal action and not because they are just being dicks about it. There is currently only one person that can stop this mess before it goes to court and its not boards.

If people didn't start up such stupid lawsuits to begin with we wouldn't be in this mess.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Lorax wrote:

Clearly, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

That said, I'm all for not letting them have any good publicity once it is all over.

Lorax wrote:

Jesus. You should read a book first before you comment on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It'll be done when its done. Such is the way with legal matters, cooking and Duke Nukem Forever.

For god sake when I first saw that game I was convinced photorealism had been almost perfected. Now looking at those same screenshots you'd be forgiven for thinking they were screenshots from some old tat you'd find in the bargin bin that you'd recommend to a friend with an ancient computer. When...WHEN

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd be quite happy with them being banned forever, or whatnot, as Talliesin says...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sparky-s wrote:
    Jesus. You should read a book first before you comment on it!
    I think you're making quite a large assumption there Sparky ... you think he can read?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Feckin' braille interface, dunno what to say atall these days.

Thanks for the useful comments. However i feel the number of people reading and responding to this thread will be mods, not a bad thing in itself but i also think that the majority of people who would like to know what actually is happening (nothing to speak of as it turns out) are to be found in the music forums.
    I understand the reason for the ban, i just think a lot of people are afraid to ask what the situation is, due to the instant banning if an mcd gig is mentinoed and would appreciate an update.

If you have nothing constructive to say (lorax etc) please don't bother.

OK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Court cases can take years to happen and be resolved. So I would say around 2010 at the very latest. hth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

lordgoat wrote:
    I understand the reason for the ban, i just think a lot of people are afraid to ask what the situation is, due to the instant banning if an mcd gig is mentinoed and would appreciate an update.

If you understand the reason for the ban then surely you also understand that the admins cannot comment on an ongoing legal situation as it may be prejudicial to their case. Even a 5 dollar shyster would tell you that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

We'll let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Lorax wrote:

Lorax wrote:
    I is so hardcorez, espizically whenz someones else bollix is on the line
    Lordgoat wrote:
    Thanks for the useful comments. However i feel the number of people reading and responding to this thread will be mods, not a bad thing in itself but i also think that the majority of people who would like to know what actually is happening (nothing to speak of as it turns out) are to be found in the music forums.

With respect I feel you are

A) Underestimated boards.ie admins interest in resolving this situation.

B) Over estimating the speed of our legal system.

I imagine boards.ie would love to have this albatross off from around their neck and stop worrying about legal grief, so if you've not heard anything, assume nothing has changes. If the stickies disappear, assume another stick will appear telling you to resume chatting, or that drastic measures have occured.

I may be wrong this is the first time a website is being challenged for libel, in an Irish court, this is case which will generate media interest and hassle, and just assume boards.ie are doing everything told by the lawyers, and don't ask for contast updates, because the cogs of our "justice" system move slowly, and however annoying and frustrating you find it, thing about how difficult it is for those who's necks are on the proverable line.

Lots of us want to see this resolved, are mad as hell at "certain parties" for this attack on free speech, and want boards to sail through his. Suffering in silence and letting them do whats best for boards without hassling them for info for a few months is the least we can.

Oh unless anyone can tell us about a decent way to donate to some sort of legal defence?

lordgoat wrote:
    Thanks for the useful comments. However i feel the number of people reading and responding to this thread will be mods

Mods mostly read this forum as its where people go to whine about moderating. However Moderators have absolutly nothing to do with how the site itself it run.

Think of them as a normal user as everyone else only just keeping their respective forum/s clean.

We certainly don't have any real feedback into the current legal proceedings.

That said if you bothered to do any kind of research on it (the whole story is in detail off of boards) that the legal proceedings kick off have nothing to do with libel content that was posted (that part of the MCD request was honoured according to news reports).

I can see this thread getting locked soon.

Hobbes wrote:
    Mods mostly read this forum as its where people go to whine about moderating. However Moderators have absolutly nothing to do with how the site itself it run.

Think of them as a normal user as everyone else only just keeping their respective forum/s clean.

We certainly don't have any real feedback into the current legal proceedings.

That said if you bothered to do any kind of research on it (the whole story is in detail off of boards) that the legal proceedings kick off have nothing to do with libel content that was posted (that part of the MCD request was honoured according to news reports).

I can see this thread getting locked soon.

This is possibly the most useless comment ever posted.

I don't want to look things up when all i have to do is ask a question. Which was answered albeit shortly by Regi.

I really dont' care what the court case arguments are all i'd like to see is things back to normal where you're free to speak about any upcoming event as i feel a lot of people have missed gigs due to this ban. I have no interest in the court case ins and outs.

Maybe you missed my post on please only post useful comments. Don't respond to this please.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

lordgoat wrote:
    I don't want to look things up when all i have to do is ask a question. Which was answered albeit shortly by Regi.
    Fantastic, you've got your answer.

Thread over.
    I don't want to look things up when all i have to do is ask a question.
    The youth of today, eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Diogenes wrote:
    Oh unless anyone can tell us about a decent way to donate to some sort of legal defence?
    http://www.isaid.org/ perhaps?

CuLT wrote:
    Fantastic, you've got your answer.

Thread over.

The youth of today, eh.

If the thread was over why the comment? Pointless people felling the need to make noise. How many times have i pointed out if you have nothing constructive to say please don't say anything.

The only reason i respond is i started the thread. If i could close it i would.

And I'm not that young it's a point of principle. It's not my job to find out whats going on. I'd rather ask and get a concrete answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Unfortunately you will not get that answer here.

lordgoat wrote:
    I really dont' care what the court case arguments are all i'd like to see is things back to normal where you're free to speak about any upcoming event as i feel a lot of people have missed gigs due to this ban. I have no interest in the court case ins and outs.

Then prehaps if you rub those two braincells you have together you should write to the company in question and explain your stress because I can tell you now it is not boards.ie that is intentionally prolonging your agony.
    Maybe you missed my post on please only post useful comments.

Maybe you should practice what you preach.

I may be wrong this is the first time a website is being challenged for libel, in an Irish court

Make sure to keep an ear out about rate-your-solicitor.com. The Clare man has till Thursday to remove content.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1120/solicitor.html

Only difference in boards case, is the admins removed content, yet still got sued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sparky-s wrote:
    Make sure to keep an ear out about rate-your-solicitor.com. The Clare man has till Thursday to remove content.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1120/solicitor.html

Only difference in boards case, is the admins removed content, yet still got sued.
    Actually, a big big difference. Despite their (and their supporters) continual posturing about free speech and the right to say what they want, the owners of that site have decided that they don't want to be identified. No dice. If you want free speech, then you have to accept that you must be accountable for your words.

The very behaviour of Mr. Gill's supporters in court give us an overview of these people's mentality and their view of the law in general.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement