Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Wash Tipping

Options
  • 20-11-2006 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Normally I wash the car myself but yesterday I was in a petrol station and decided to get it washed. It was one of those jet wash things with some young lad doing the work. I had already paid for the wash but as I drove off I started wondering if people normally give the lad a few quid for himself?! I guess I felt a bit sorry for him coz it was fecking freezing yesterday! Cold on the hands! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nah! they use warm water. he'll be grand!

I tip if they do a thorough job and go the extra mile, otherwise I don't bother, it's expensive enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

i worked for 2 years in a car wash.. Great little earner.. 10am to 3pm. 40 quid for the work & the rest was tips.. On avergae i'd say yes you should tip.. a euro was what normally i got per car.. you'd wash about 55-60 cars a day. Then you'd get your regulars that would pay into the hand rather than a token - mainly vans because they'd charge 12-15 quid so they'd give me 10 instead.. . I'd clear about 100 quid in tips on a good day and 40 as a wage.. and drive home in a spanky clean car!!:D

They'll get to know you if your regular and if ya tip or even better pay cash inhand you'll get a top notch wash done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I usually tip about €2 when I get the car washed - every 2 weeks usally depending on weather. The lads I go to in the local shopping centre do it by hand with powerwashers and usually do a great job, though I've noticed they seem to be missing the bottom of the doors lately.

Does anyone do a walkaround before they pay up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The carwash I go to generally doesn't charge me, so I give the €5 it would cost to the lads doing the washing instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I generally tip €2 and end up having to go round the car myself and finish it myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

If you love your car, dont bring it to a car wash, they use sponges for christ sake that have just been used on the wheels on the car before! Scratch city ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

stifz wrote:
    i worked for 2 years in a car wash.. Great little earner.. 10am to 3pm. 40 quid for the work & the rest was tips.. On avergae i'd say yes you should tip.. a euro was what normally i got per car.. you'd wash about 55-60 cars a day. Then you'd get your regulars that would pay into the hand rather than a token - mainly vans because they'd charge 12-15 quid so they'd give me 10 instead.. . I'd clear about 100 quid in tips on a good day and 40 as a wage.. and drive home in a spanky clean car!!:D

They'll get to know you if your regular and if ya tip or even better pay cash inhand you'll get a top notch wash done!!
    Jaysus, you done well. It wasn't like that when I worked in a Texaco about 8 years ago. Some people would give £1 for washing the car but most wouldn't, scabby bástards!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I find the washers do a better job if I tip them before they start. I hand them a couple of euro with the docket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I find the washers do a better job if I tip them before they start. I hand them a couple of euro with the docket.
    me too...my local wash is €8 so I give them a ten and they make sure its spotless leaving. They even get you to roll forward a foot to get the parts of the alloy they don't get first time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

sneakyST wrote:
    If you love your car, dont bring it to a car wash, they use sponges for christ sake that have just been used on the wheels on the car before! Scratch city ;)

Yeah, I just do mine myself. Even when I rush I still do a better job than they would and know I'm not scratching my car. :)

I always tip myself well. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Wash the car yourself.

Lazy people. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I wash it myself sometimes but the one in Limerick that washes the underbody as well is great. plus there's 2 lads that wash off the really manky bits before the car goes in. you pay them and not in the shop so I usually leave the change with them whe I go. its only €2 or €3 but sometimes when money's tight I just say screw it €11 is enough even if the car does get skin cleanser or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

Never EVER use a sponge to wash a car. They will scratch ur bodywork worse than the brushes they use in car washes. The sponge will trap any grit and dirt and this will scratch the paint as you are washing the car.
    They use those soft brushed for a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

my local car wash, they use those mitts that fit over the hands for the body work that look like they are made of wool, but obviously they aren't...they use a separate bucket for sponges for the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

used to work in a petrol station occasionally doing car washes myself, it's hard enough work, especially in the winter. I still go back there every now and again and the lads usually let me wash the car myself, but if someone did it for me id definately give a decent tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

ongarite wrote:
    Never EVER use a sponge to wash a car. They will scratch ur bodywork worse than the brushes they use in car washes. The sponge will trap any grit and dirt and this will scratch the paint as you are washing the car.
    They use those soft brushed for a good reason.

Afraid your wrong there. Nearly all brushes leave tiny scratches in the paintwork, a sponge is the only thing to use. Anyway most of the dirt and grit should already have been power hosed away.
    If you go and put a sponge onto a dirty car and rub it all around well then scratches are your own fault.

Advertisement