Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Imported Beer/Wine on the Way?

• 20-11-2006 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

A mate was telling me over the weekend that come November 23rd Irish people would be free to buy Alcohol online from any other EU country without having to pay duty on it, the only taxes applicable would be those that exist in the source country, if this is true it could have major implications in Ireland.

I found this from the Independant.
    Irish Independent 13/11/06
    Irish shoppers could soon be able to buy cut-price cigarettes and alcohol from mainland Europe at cut-price mail order rates or via the internet - and all because of a legal test case that is set to blow a major hole in the Government's coffers.

Legal experts in Brussels believe that the court will rubber-stamp a previous ruling by its advocate-general and that shoppers will be able to use the internet or mail order firms to find the best bargains in Europe and have them shipped home.

The ruling, which is expected on November 23, cannot be appealed and will take immediate effect.

The excise duty on cigarettes alone is worth over €1bn a year to the Irish Exchequer.

A spokesman for the Revenue Commissioners said they were following the case with interest. "We would be concerned if the ruling goes as is predicted." "We have been following this case for some time," he said. He declined to comment on what the ruling could mean in relation to Ireland's annual tax take.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Theres a couple of threads on this already, one here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055014835

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Any links to some of these sites yet? Lost my google hat in a row...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I already do that on www.ebay.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shifted from AH, chuck it back in my direction if its not in the right spot, dankoooo mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

http://www.lva.ie/

There's the enemy. If it went for the actual price before tax that it should be we wouldn't care less about what Bertie tacks on.

I would happily pay tax on Alcohol if it put that group out in the rain.
    They are a syndicate that ensure Publicans maintain a high profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

layke wrote:
    http://www.lva.ie/

There's the enemy. If it went for the actual price before tax that it should be we wouldn't care less about what Bertie tacks on.

I would happily pay tax on Alcohol if it put that group out in the rain.
    They are a syndicate that ensure Publicans maintain a high profit.

But they RUN this country!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

In the news this morning, the government are seeing this new legislation as a 'loophole' and will move to close it.

A decision is expected today. If it goes through I'd get your orders in for Xmas cos it doesn't seem like it's going to last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Bad news for the consumer that the ruling has went against imported alcohol but I'd imagine one massive sigh of relief from a certain mister Cowan.

I still can't see how the EU can legally block this, it goes totally against the principal of the open market. They can't have an open market when it suits them and and a closed market when it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can order spirits from various online sites already. Works out about half price, even with the postage, all top brands in glass bottles. Mine has never been caught by customs, just search google for sites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Show me one TRULY open market, personally I think it's a myth.

Advertisement