Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When is the best time of year to buy second hand?

Options
  • 20-11-2006 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to buy a good car second hand, I have been looking at 00 Mercedes Benz E 200 or younger. Is this a bad time of year to buy from a dealer or would it be better after christmas with all the trade ins?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Car prices drop each year, so a second hand car will drop in price as soon as Jan hits cause its a year older. So to get the best value for money buy in Jan-Mar so you get a car which you can use for the full year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It depends on whether you're trading in or not and whether you're buying from a main dealer or independent. Judging by the age of car you're looking at, I'd guess it'll have to be independent as it would be too old for a main dealer. In my experience, this is a great time of year to go to an independent dealer for a straight sale, slow time of year for them and cash flow in that can be reinvested in a few main dealer castoffs early in the new year. All this is great if you're not selling your own car or can get rid quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A good time to buy second hand current year cars is in September as the cars that the rental companies take for the busy summer period are returned to the dealer for sale.

Prices don't necessarily drop as the calender year changes. If a car has been in stock since the previous year it will still be standing the dealer the same amount and any dealer will be reluctant to reduce the price just because it's a new year. That said, if the car is exceptionally hard to move, the dealer may decide to reduce the price in an effort to rid himself of the car.

Advertisement