Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gift Grub Vs. Knob Nation (or is it Nob Nation?)

• 20-11-2006 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Well, just wondering, has Mario Rosenstock left Today fm to do this on 2fm or what? The enda kenny voice is pretty similar...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

It's not Mario, I think his name is Oliver Callan from RTE show The Cafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

He used to do the news on Today fm and did a few voices on gift grub, and is suing Mario if in not mistaken!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Whats he suing him for?

LOL at Matt Cooper, he used to always call Oliver Callan something some other newscasters name on the 530 newsbreak and Callan was pi55edd off everytime without fail lol.

Maybe thats why he left ;)

I actually heard this mornings skit and thought it WAS gift grub till I checked the station !

Anybody else hear the Enda Kenny skit today? It wasnt bad actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

He's claiming writing credit on the new gift grub cd, mario is counter suing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Badabing wrote:
    He's claiming writing credit on the new gift grub cd, mario is counter suing!

Ok that explains it. So it’s Callan using characters that he voiced in Gift Grub, Enda, Plastic Sheeting etc.

Why am I not surprised that RTE have tried this? Their whole morning radio has been going downhill for a number of years and they have tried to plug it with all sorts of stuff, Rick and Ruth, Marty and now a copy cat of Gift Grub- Is there no one in RTE with an original though about how to gain ratings ?.

I’d give it until the new year and then it will be canned. If it lasts beyond that Mario will be hoping that Enda does not win the election and that Roy, Stan etc stay current.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I don't like Knob Nation at all. Too many RTÉ presenters... a bit too incestuous or something. Apart from that I don't find the sketches funny.

Although he has Enda Kenny down to a tee the Bertie is a pi55 poor take off and the rest of charachters in the locker are going to get very tiresome very quickly over the next few weeks :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

RTE had one Dermot Morgan for quite some time lest anyone forget !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Has 2Fm gone head to head by launching a comedy sketch with the same characters at the same time as Today FMs gift grub??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Couldn't tell you, as I'm listening to Gift Grub at that time. 2FM probably are competing as Gift Grub is big business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

I cant believe they are robbing the gift grub idea so blatantly and using the same characters......even calling him plastic sheeting and Dobbo and Michael D, they could have used a bit of imagination to get back the listeners rather than being thiefs....anyone know more on this??

apologies Mods just saw another thread on this, i couldnt find Radio earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yes, I have to say that Mario Rosenstock really only ressurected what Dermot Morgan was doing before falling out of favour with politicians and the RTE bigwigs.

Morgan (RIP) was too close to the bone for RTE at the time and Mario Rosenstock likes to keep things light (but very amusingly so:))

Haven't heard nob nation yet, any podcasts available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

imagine that

i seem to rememebr Dermot Morgan doing this on RTÉ Radio long before Today FM was even a thought. comedy isnt exclusive to one radio station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

Gift Grub has had its day anyway, I don't listen to it anymore its no longer funny. They just havent bothered thinking up anything new, lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Yup - It's identical to any other morning comedy show in the country. But hey - it's a bit more bearable than the rest of the Marty Whelan Show...

(How is an OAP managing to present the brekfast show on a national youth station???)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

(How is an OAP managing to present the brekfast show on a national youth station???)

Thats why I listen to Orla from 6-7 and turn on the ipod after that!

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i seem to rememebr Dermot Morgan doing this on RTÉ Radio long before Today FM was even a thought. comedy isnt exclusive to one radio station

You're a good pope... not a great pope, but a good pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

don't call me lenn ya little bollaux!;)

" gift grub has had its day anyway"

A number 1 album most christmas's since they have been releasing them says otherwise, and the amount of people who tune into it every day is humungous,still think its great crack every now and then, the songs dont impress me too much but i like the sketches and mostly done by one man...............Fair play like

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

This is a new departure for RTE, usually they are copying the BBC........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved, OP make a note of the location of Radio (Arts->Radio). Mods please merge if there is an existing thread and throw it back to me, thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Just to tidy up a little and to try and keep all the discussion together I've merged all the 3 threads about Gift Grub/(K)nob Nation

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

I simply fail to see the humour or popularity of Gift Grub. I suppose when so many people tune into Big Brother or I'm a Celebrity it hardly surprising that something as innane as this No 1. That irritating Lily Allen cover does my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Holysmokes

I cant believe they are robbing the gift grub idea so blatantly and using the same characters......even calling him plastic sheeting and Dobbo and Michael D, they could have used a bit of imagination to get back the listeners rather than being thiefs....anyone know more on this??

yeah i read in the papers a few weeks ago that a bloke who worked on Gift Grub created Dobbo and Plastic and a whole go of other characters and that he's basically fallen out with Mario and moved them all over to RTE. Dempsey even said during the week that a lot of emails and texts are coming into the show asking where Enda Kenny, Plastic, Dobbo, Jim Fahey and other voices have gone. It also seems that Mooney on Radio One is now playing the KnoB Nation stuff on his show between four and five every day. War of the mimics...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The whole thing is gone to Rosenstocks head now....he's even plastered himself on the front cover of this years Gift Grub CD!!!

Advertisement