Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barton For England

• 20-11-2006 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,,1952129,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,277-2461318,00.html

Well looking at the above articles it appears that Joey Barton is finally getting the recognition he deserves for his constant solid performances. His display against Fulham on Saturday was superb when he ran the midfield, getting a goal and an assist in the process.

At the moment England are poor in midfield - Gerrard is stuck out on the right, Lampard has just been plain awful, Hargreaves is injured, and Parker will be hampered by having played in that defeat in Croatia. Barton is a box to box midfielder in form. On Saturday Fulham played three central midfielders but Barton, along with Reyna, dominated. The previous week Barton had outplayed Scott Parker, one of the players he is trying to get past for an England place. He also bagged the winner against Arsenal with a coolly taken penalty. Last season he bagged 7 goals in 21 league games and has 3 in 13 so far this term.

Undoubtedly people are going to point to his chequered past but that is not the issue right now. What is important is that Barton is THE form England central midfielder at the moment, but unfortunately we all know that McClaren isn't the kind of manager to pick a player on form. However it would be fantastic to see Joey join Micah Richards in the squad for the upcoming qualifiers. Oh, and he can hit them too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO3cVWkihsA&mode=related&search=

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

And Gareth Barry again gets looked over :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trilla wrote:
    And Gareth Barry again gets looked over :rolleyes:

What has Barry got to do with Barton? Barry would only be considered as a wide left player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Xavi6 wrote:
    The previous week Barton had outplayed Scott Parker, one of the players he is trying to get past for an England place.

No he didn't. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The problem with England's midfield is that Gerrard and Lampard are too similiar and don't work well in tandem. The answer is dropping one of them and bringing in a more defensive player to partner them.

That player is probably Hargreaves. After that Parker IMO. I don't think Barton would fill that role well. You could have around the squad at the moment, but I don't think he is the answer to the conundrum - despite his good form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:
    It might not be the issue for you but he is nothing but scum to me. Putting a cigarette in someones face isn't a "chequered past".

Bye bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

he didnt outplay Scott Parker. Nope, no sir

Barry is a better CM then him IMO, and can play on LW also.

ziggy67 wrote:
    It might not be the issue for you but he is nothing but scum to me. Putting a cigarette in someones face isn't a "chequered past".

Uh-oh. Like Barton you'll have to learn a lesson.

Trilla wrote:
    Barry is a better CM then him IMO, and can play on LW also.

And Barton can play wide right just like he did for large periods of last season when Sinclair was injured. His deliveries from set pieces and crosses are excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I think Barton is better in the middle than Barry and Parker, would actually like to see him switch to the red side of manchester think he could be an ideal player to solve some of our midfield problems.

• Advertisement

I think Barton is better in the middle than Barry and Parker, would actually like to see him switch to the red side of manchester think he could be an ideal player to solve some of our midfield problems.

:eek: Your post started off so so well.....hands off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Xavi6 wrote:
    His deliveries from set pieces and crosses are excellent.

I'd have to disagree with you here Xavi. I was over at the game on Saturday and thought Barton and Reyna were superb, but one element of Bartons game I have questioned is his delivery from set pieces. Just not consistent enough. His passing has improved over the past 18 months and I hope his delivery can improve also as his workrate and commitment to the cause are admirable, and is one of our key players. I personally couldn't give a toss if he plays for England or not, once he keeps giving 100% for the City shirt I'll be happy. No matter how well he plays I do think he will be overlooked in the same way Kevin Nolan has been by the England setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Why in the name of God did England turn down Martin O'Neill? They're going to struggle to qualify for the Euro's and they still reckon it's an easy group. Croatia will win the group and England won't win in Israel or Russia.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Why in the name of God did England turn down Martin O'Neill? They're going to struggle to qualify for the Euro's and they still reckon it's an easy group. Croatia will win the group and England won't win in Israel or Russia.
    Whatever about England turning him down, whatever he has done with Gareth Barry is nothing short of amazing. He's probably been the most consistent player in the league this season, and certainly deserves a place in the England squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I said when MON took over at Villa that Barry would be in the England squad before the end of the season. He is an excellent player, and when it comes down to it, his versitility will see him in there ahead of someone like Barton.

Barton is a fabulous footballer, I rate him really highly but his reported off the pitch antics sicken me. And think of all the stuff that you'd probably never even heard of? He'd be a perfect signing for the red half of Manchester as he'd give the midfield that bit of steel and agression that they are lacking. But would he be worth it with his baggage? It would be a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

eirebhoy wrote:
    Not sure he really wanted it -- the media glare that comes with job , would not be ideal in his situation, caring for his sick wife . In fact most smart folk will stay well clear , as it is guananteed to end in tears .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

thebaz wrote:
    Not sure he really wanted it -- the media glare that comes with job , would not be ideal in his situation, caring for his sick wife . In fact most smart folk will stay well clear , as it is guananteed to end in tears .
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5054668.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ziggy67 wrote:
    Doh! :o

Its my honest opinion though, so although its against the charter i'll take the ban on the chin.

Sorry.

Saves me Pming you so.
    Banned 1 week.

kdjac

Goal and a half assist tonight. Impressive stuff again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Xavi6 wrote:
    The previous week Barton had outplayed Scott Parker, one of the players he is trying to get past for an England place.
    Barton could have played the whole Newcastle team on his own that day, we were that bad !

(apart from the last ten minutes when they seemed to have woken up)

I think he's a quality player but I wouldn't want him at Newcastle, not with all that baggage.

We had enough of that with Bowyer, who I also rated very highly.

Still don't agree that he outplayed Parker though. :D

Barton didn't get an assist tonight either...

Apart from increasing his transfer value, I'd say it would be better for Man City if he doesn't get picked for England right now.

He could probably do with keeping a low profile and the English press tend to go way over the top so he'll either be the subject of a hammering or media overhype.

Scott Parker has been nowhere near as influential as he was for Newcastle since before that Croatia game and I'm suprised he didn't come back injured like they usually do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6174609.stm
    McClaren keen on Barton call-up
    Manchester City midfielder Joey Barton
    Barton has fallen foul of the football authorities on occasions
    England boss Steve McClaren has named Manchester City's Joey Barton as one of a select group of Premiership players who could make the national team.

Barton has been involved in several high-profile controversial incidents, but McClaren said the midfielder's reputation was not an issue.

"Joey is a leader with great character. You need forthright people like that, on and off the field," said McClaren.

"He has had his troubles but he has come through them."

McClaren, who saw Barton in action in the Manchester derby at the weekend, added: "He is a player who has matured over the year.

"I tried to buy Joey when I was at Middlesbrough so he is a player who interests me."

Barton may have ruffled a few feathers in the England camp with his recent comments about the spate of books which emerged after the World Cup.

Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Steven Gerrard all produced books after the tournament.

"I can't get my head around that," said Barton.

"England did nothing in that World Cup, so why were they bringing out books? If I'm buying a book I'll buy a book about someone who's won something.

"I might be off the mark, but (the England World Cup team) seemed to be a bunch of individuals playing for themselves and not wanting to do the nasty things involved in being a team."

England have a friendly against Spain in February before returning to the European Championship qualifying campaign against Israel in March.

And McClaren said that he and his coaching staff had picked out players in the Premiership, including Barton, that they wanted to look at in the England set-up.

"We have a core of about 15 players but we've identified 50 in the Premiership who we're going to concentrate on," he said.

"They will all have an opportunity but, by the end of the season we will bring that down to a more manageable number.

"That will be the squad for the push for qualification to Euro 2008."

Love the quote about the England players bringing out books.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6174609.stm
    McClaren keen on Barton call-up

England boss Steve McClaren has named Manchester City's Joey Barton as one of a select group of Premiership players who could make the national team.

Barton has been involved in several high-profile controversial incidents, but McClaren said the midfielder's reputation was not an issue.

"Joey is a leader with great character. You need forthright people like that, on and off the field," said McClaren.

"He has had his troubles but he has come through them."

McClaren, who saw Barton in action in the Manchester derby at the weekend, added: "He is a player who has matured over the year.

"I tried to buy Joey when I was at Middlesbrough so he is a player who interests me."

Barton may have ruffled a few feathers in the England camp with his recent comments about the spate of books which emerged after the World Cup.

Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Steven Gerrard all produced books after the tournament.

"I can't get my head around that," said Barton.

"England did nothing in that World Cup, so why were they bringing out books? If I'm buying a book I'll buy a book about someone who's won something.

"I might be off the mark, but (the England World Cup team) seemed to be a bunch of individuals playing for themselves and not wanting to do the nasty things involved in being a team."

England have a friendly against Spain in February before returning to the European Championship qualifying campaign against Israel in March.

And McClaren said that he and his coaching staff had picked out players in the Premiership, including Barton, that they wanted to look at in the England set-up.

"We have a core of about 15 players but we've identified 50 in the Premiership who we're going to concentrate on," he said.

"They will all have an opportunity but, by the end of the season we will bring that down to a more manageable number.

"That will be the squad for the push for qualification to Euro 2008."

Love the quote about the England players bringing out books.

The quote was actually:

"England did nothing in the World Cup, so why were they bringing books out?" he asked, before paraphrasing the contents: "We got beat in the quarter-finals. I played like ****. Here's my book."

Genius. Call him up just to see how he gets on with Cashley/Frank/Gerrard/Terry etc!

Nicky Butt and Steven Taylor for England!

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/72723220.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A65EDF8D1099B46C55A55A1E4F32AD3138

actually, Jose Mourinho said Taylor was outstanding last night...

Taylor for Chelsea!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/6281871.stm
    Lampard hits back at Barton jibes

Frank Lampard has hit back at Joey Barton's criticisms of the Chelsea midfielder's England performances.

Manchester City midfielder Barton was scathing about Lampard's World Cup and claimed he should replace Lampard in England's midfield.

Lampard told the Times: "There are a lot of players fighting for a place but they don't come out and say something.

"They get their heads down and keep fighting. That's what Owen Hargreaves did when he could have said things."

Barton, who has been tipped to figure in England's squad next month, was critical of England players like Lampard who brought out autobiographies in the wake of England's poor showing in Germany.

The outspoken City midfielder also said Lampard and Steven Gerrard could not play together in the same midfield, and claimed they needed a ball each to succeed.

Lampard said: "I don't think Joey should talk about me and Steve Gerrard, that probably says enough.

"Joey mentioned that he was running at six in the morning in Dubai on holiday and then he wondered if me and Stevie G were doing the same.

"When I read that, I thought: 'I was doing that when I was 11. That's the difference.

"I've been training my socks of and I think Stevie G has as well. That's what you do.

"Maybe Joey Barton has found that but I've been doing that for a long time.

"As a professional - and I know I'm talking about another player now - you shouldn't talk about other players too much."

The relationship between the pair could be tested if they are both named when England boss Steve McClaren picks his squad on 2 February for the friendly against Spain.

Please God let Joey get picked for that squad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

why would he be happy? himself and gerrard play close to 60 games most seasons and travel all over europe in doing so, while barton would play around 40 something domestic games. when barton is playing the same amount of games as gerrard and lampard and still producing top form in every match then he'll be in a position to say what he likes.

other than that he's just blowing smoke imo.

el rabitos wrote:
    why would he be happy? himself and gerrard play close to 60 games most seasons and travel all over europe in doing so, while barton would play around 40 something domestic games. when barton is playing the same amount of games as gerrard and lampard and still producing top form in every match then he'll be in a position to say what he likes.

other than that he's just blowing smoke imo.

Well I'd much rather have a player in my England squad who is playing super over 40 games than these two who have been nothing better than average all season and will be over 60 games. And yes I know you're gonna tell me how great Gerrard is so save it because he hasn't performed this season and neither has Lampard.

I can't stand Lampard. I can't say I've ever seen him play well for England tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Xavi6 wrote:
    Well I'd much rather have a player in my England squad who is playing super over 40 games than these two who have been nothing better than average all season and will be over 60 games. And yes I know you're gonna tell me how great Gerrard is so save it because he hasn't performed this season and neither has Lampard.

well if you can find 1 single post on any thread from this season where i've said gerrard has been great this season then i can see your point, other than that, i'd appreciate you not assuming what i'm going to say.

tbh i'm pretty sick of [insert random player] saying he should be playing for england ahead of whoever.

most of the time its from players who play fewer games during a season, dont play in as many telivised games where there are more people to critique your performance, dont have to travel to different areas of europe or depending on your success different areas of the world.

lampard and gerrard have been playing at a higher level than barton for alot longer than barton, they're not at liverpool and chelsea and regulars in the national team for no reason. theres no way to tell how well barton would do if he was with a top team for a year and playing regularly for england, would his motivation be the same as it is now? odds are it wouldnt be, i doubt lampard and gerrard have the same motivation now as they did when they were just breaking into the england squad, they're human ffs. they're also at the mercy of the england managers tactics, the way they play for england wont always be similar to how they play for their club.

i'm not saying lampard and gerrard cant be called on when they're not playing up to par, but a little respect is due, they've been playing at a high level for a long time and proved themselves time and again. i'm all for barton getting a big move and a shot at the england squad, but save the dissing of gerrand and lampard until he's played as many games a year as they do at the level of pressure they play at and travel as much as they do.

From mcfc.co.uk....
    Joey Barton has earned his first call up to the senior England squad.

The 24-year-old midfielder has been rewarded for his outstanding club form this season, which has seen him notch up six goals, and is joined by Micah Richards in Steve McClaren’s selection for next Wednesday’s friendly against Spain at Old Trafford.

Joey, who won two Under 21 caps in 2004, has been praised by City manager Stuart Pearce: “He’s playing extremely well, there’s a lot of competition in central midfield, but on current form he is doing as well as most.

“There’s been a general improvement in him over the last two seasons, he’s a decent player now but I think he is getting better by the game. He’s maturing as a man, and certainly as a footballer.”

Micah received glowing notices for his debut against the Netherlands in November, but this time the England manager will be faced with a choice at right back with the return of Gary Neville, injured for the game in Amsterdam.

Delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Yeah, stick him in there, he deserves it from those quotes alone!!!

I've never really rated Lampard that highly either, i would drop him and give Barton a shot at it. Although it would be interesting to see both in the same midfield. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

eirebhoy wrote:
    I can't stand Lampard. I can't say I've ever seen him play well for England tbh.

Lampard is way better than that ****ing scumbag Barton. Barton's nothing but a wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Agreed Lampard much better +is one of first names on England team sheet
    Phscyo probably has a say in this now hes U21 England Manager.

Like to see Joey get a start, lets hope he doesnt moon the crowd/get sent off on his debut. :)

I just don't like Lampard. First of all I didn't rate him too highly but now I can't possibly not rate him with his goals and assists so I just don't like him. :D He's not a central midfielder though. Mourinho would never play him in the centre of a 4-4-2 (lower league opposition aside). He's too much of a luxury player. When Chelsea are on the back foot he'll be nowhere to be seen. In saying that, he'd do well in a 4-3-3 for England but that means Rooney as a sole striker.

I suppose Barton's teammate Stephen Ireland and players like Riquelme and Juninho would be similar but they're fantastic to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

eirebhoy wrote:
    Mourinho would never play him in the centre of a 4-4-2 (lower league opposition aside). He's too much of a luxury player.
    Strange that thats exactly where he has been playing all season! You obviously know much more about the Cheslea lineup than Jose himself does though. The Lampard mauling is hillarious at times. He is obviously crap. 20 goal a season midfielder with a super range of passing, a constant international playing at the highest level for god knows how many years and courted by all the big clubs in Europe. Really, he is pure muck though, we all just don't see it yet!!! If you hate a player fair enough, but dont let that cloud your judgement. I hate Stevie Gerrard, Ronaldinho etc.. but still acknowledge that they are class acts!

As for Barton, I think he is a nice player who is getting better all the time. Apparently got a very frosty reception from the team when he ran out on the training pitch.

First of all:
    "but now I can't possibly not rate him"
    iregk wrote:
    Strange that thats exactly where he has been playing all season!
    Any examples? From what I can see has been playing alongside a holding midfielder and the box to box Ballack all season. Would you describe Riquelme as a central midfielder? He spends most of his time roaming around the centre of the pitch but I wouldn't class him as a central midfielder. He's an attacking midfielder. Barton and Gerrard are central midfielders who like to get forward.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh saying he's not a central midfielder. I'd just never play him in the centre of a 4-4-2.
    iregk wrote:
    a constant international playing at the highest level for god knows how many years
    Constantly poor to average at international level. There's no denying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

eirebhoy, Lampard also played pretty well in a Chelsea midlfield 4 before Jose arrived.

SofaKing wrote:
    eirebhoy, Lampard also played pretty well in a Chelsea midlfield 4 before Jose arrived.
    Well I watched the vast majority of Chelsea games before Mourinho arrived as Duff was an absolute joy to watch at the time. I would always keep an eye on Lampard. When Chelsea hadn't got the ball he'd be standing in free space waiting for them to get it back so they could lay it off to him. One match summed him up in particular. I think it was against Spurs. Lampard was his usual anonymous self. Chelsea win a peno at the end of the first half and Lampard scored it. He went into hiding again until the last few minutes when he scored an open goal. He won motm. Even Liam Brady was never a fan of his at the time for the same reasons as me.

He seems to be a more complete player now under Mourinho but I still haven't lost my dislike for him. :) It's a bit like Petrov during his time at Celtic. Anonymous way too often but would score and set up a lot.

Eirebhoy, Lampard has made his biggest strides under Jose. Nobody is saying he was a complete player for the past 10 years! Lampard has been playing alongside a defensive player. Thats what 2 in the middle usually do. What are you expecting him to do paly in front of him? He has also played in the center for years with England also yes at times be has been great at times woeful, but tell me honestly. Name 1 england player who has constantly been great over the past few years? Difficult isn't it? The entire England team has underpreformed for the past 10 years. They have all been poor to average with the odd show of class here and there.

The argument of Ballack as a box to box player is hillarious. I personally haven't seen him run any more than 10 yards a match so far this season! I also wouldn't class Riquelme as a central midfielder. I'm not actually sure where he should be. Some have him in the Pirlo role but I think he is more of a trequartista player (hole behind the strikers). That said, I don't rate him that highly.

Quit hijacking the thread for Fat Frank debates! Back to the main man.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6335407.stm
    Barton books in

Joey Barton was never destined to make a quiet entrance to the England squad - that is just not the way he goes about his business.

The 24-year-old Merseysider has never been accused of lacking confidence and he will feel his rightful place is among England's elite footballers as they prepare for a friendly against Spain.

It is unlikely he will have felt the slightest sense of unease about meeting up with Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard, even after criticising their post-World Cup flop books and their uncomfortable England midfield alliance.

A precious few suggested Barton had bridges to build with the so-called "establishment" inside England's squad - presumably the same establishment who talked a good game and delivered nothing in Germany.

Nonsense.

Indeed Barton's attack, while undiplomatic, may have helped if it pricked some of the egoes England and their entourage carried around Germany in such embarrassing fashion.

Anything that shakes "Team England" out of the belief that it is the best at everything it touches and brings them back down to reality - the reality of their actual place in football's league of importance - should be greeted with open arms.

Gerrard, to his great credit, laughed off Barton's criticism, although it does appear Lampard's rather more sensitive side was bruised by Barton's plain speaking.

Barton has never been far from controversy. He has courted it, embraced it even.

But now is his chance to cast off the shadows that have clouded his career and confirm the maturity that has marked his football in the last year.

Barton's commitment to City and the manager who supported him, Stuart Pearce, was emphasised when he refused to entertain Everton's advances in January, despite his agent Willie McKay clearly being more than willing to help him enter negotiations.

It suggested that Barton finally wants continuity and stability in a career littered with brushes with authority.

In December 2004 he was fined six weeks' wages for poking team-mate Jamie Tandy in the eye with a cigar at a Christmas party.

He was also fined eight weeks' wages after an incident involving an Everton fan in a Bangkok hotel bar in July 2005.

Even this season, he was fined £2,000 for baring his backside at Everton supporters at the end of a draw at Goodison Park.

In Barton's defence, this was a light-hearted - if misguided - gesture at the end of an afternoon of fearful personal abuse and just after he gave his shirt away to a disabled fan.

This is the baggage Barton brings. But this season he has show signs of shedding this load and becoming one of the country's most talented midfield operators.

Combative, but with a good passing range and an ability to score goals as well as ruffle feathers, Barton will not be daunted by the international stage.

And Pearce is convinced Barton is the right man for England.

He said: "Joey would not disrupt any squad. He does not disrupt mine, he is a good member of it.

"On occasion he speaks his mind but I do not have a problem with that. I think over the last 18 months I have seen a general maturity in him as a player and a man.

"If he is picked Joey will bring drive, energy and the ability to score a goal."

And if he does, the England establishment will be more than happy to accept the Scouser who refuses to mince his words.

Well done to Joey on his first cap last night. Everyone seems to have been impressed, even though he got a poxy 10 minutes.

football 365 -
    Joey Barton (for Frank Lampard): It would be easy to criticise McClaren for leaving Barton's introduction so late, but ten minutes can be what a player needs on his international debut - as long as he gets longer than that on his next run out. Barton showed no nerves, added bite to the England midfield and, like his club teammate, wanted the ball. It's just a shame for him that there isn't another friendly this week that he could play a slightly larger part in. All in all, a promising debut, if shortlived. 7

I though in the 10 mins he was on he was better than any other England player all night. England as always were shocking, no ideas, no invention, complete lack of fight.

Spain on the other hand looked in 2nd gear all night and had David Villa, for my money the best striker in the world at the moment.

Apparantly Lampard was anonymous. Suprise, suprise. How he manages to do it I'll never know.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Apparantly Lampard was anonymous. Suprise, suprise. How he manages to do it I'll never know.

Yeah, england lost so lets jump on lampard. Lampard was anonymous, although so was the rest of the England squad!

I just find it really amazing how many times he's nowhere to be seen. I'm just going on one tabloid report btw. "while the game seem to pass Frank Lampard by with barely a flicker".

That's the reason I don't like Lampard as I said above:
    "Lampard was his usual anonymous self. Chelsea win a peno at the end of the first half and Lampard scored it. He went into hiding again until the last few minutes when he scored an open goal. He won motm."

He's a pussy. He goes into hiding when the team isn't playing well. There's no point in trying to argue that point btw, I've seen enough of him. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Eirebhoy is right. Lampard is great for Chelsea, because they are setup to maximise his talents. England aren't.

Lampard is great in a 4-5-1 or Chelsea's 4-4-2 diamond as he typically has Essien and Makelele (and Ballack in the diamond) doing the bulk of the defensive and ball-winning work. It frees him to get forward and score goals, and play a few passes. He's sh1te when he doesn't get given the ball on a regular basis. He is nowhere near as effective a standard 4-4-2 (two CMs and two creative wide players) as he's only got one player to help him out in the workhorse aspect. Whoever said he played in a 4-4-2 before Mourinho should be commended for bringing it up - he did, and he wasn't half the player then. Missed out on WC2002 as I recall.

Gerrard is similar to Lampard but is more of a complete player and better equiped for a 2 man CM pairing. Barton is more suited to it also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement