Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Office wireless - Wireless Access Point?

• 20-11-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I don't know much about setting up networks, but I think I'm close enough to figuring this out.

We want to have wireless in our office, but when someone tried using a wireless router connected to our network before, there were problems with people (connected to other switches around the place) getting booted off.

I think that might have had something to do with the DHCP server in the wireless router competing with our normal DHCP server or something - either way it was definitely the wrong piece of kit for the job. I'm thinking of buying a Wireless Access Point now and trying that in the office, is that the right thing to solve the problem?

looking at something like this

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Simple answer is "Yes".

Longish answer is.

Yes you want an access point [AP]. You do not want a Wireless router as that will cause no end of problems in your office, as you are already aware.

The long and the short of it is, you get your access point, plug it in to a network socket, configure for security and your done.

All you have to do then is to configure your computers / laptops for the same security.

Points to note. Prefared to go with 802.11 g wireless as it's much faster than b.
    Stay away from 802.11n wireless equipment for at least 6 to 8 months. It's not quite there yet.
    In order or preference in security : WPA2, WPA, WEP. Possibly with MAC filtering also. WEP is a last resort as it's VERY easy to crack [5 to 10 minutes if you are committed]

Of course, you will have to go with the lowest commonality in your equipment. If you computers can only hanfle 802.11b and WEP, then that s what you have to go with. Once you are aware of the risks.

*EDIT* I've just noticed that the belkin that you linked to ONLY has WEP security. If all of your computer equipment that you want to link up can do WPA, then I would suggest that you go for something like this or this. IT's more secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Hi,

A competing DHCP server *may* have caused those problems but you could switch off the DHCP server on the wireless router.

Without wanting to sound critical, if you were unable to resolve the problems with the previous piece of equipment, you may wish to re-think the decision to use wireless in the office - from a security point of view.

We have a few people in our office who could maintain a wireless network but I've successfully managed to fend off the requests to introduce it because it would create a point of attack for the sake of convenience and, unless it's very tightly controlled, a vulnerable point of attack.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Thanks for both of those helpful replies.

From the point of view of security, I'm happy enough that I can set up a secure network, afaik WPA is the lowest common denominator on the laptops here - in any case I'm happy enough to tell one or two people that they can't connect if they don't have WPA cards for easily explainable 'security reasons'.

thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Several comments here:
    • If you intend to use it for professional (i.e. office use), do yourself a favour and buy something better than a Belkin. Having tried them recently I can resommend the Ruckus gear(www.ruckuswireless.com) above everything else.
    • I would suggest using a wireless router and configuring the wireless part of your network as a separate "subnet".This will let you manage all issues related with wireless networking in a much more controlled manner. Just make sure that the DHCP server on the wireless router pulls froma different pool than any other DHCP server on your network
    • Do indeed go for a 802.11g wifi router. You will need the extra speed. Any "older" 802.11b kit will still be able to connect.
    • As mentioned before make sure that it at least supports WPA. There are even better security methids but WPA will suffice in most cases...

E.

Advertisement