Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Floors & Tiles

Options
  • 20-11-2006 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I need some information regarding flooring - Laminate and tiles.

I am aware that you can pay what you like for wood and tiles but i would like to get some idea of good value for money.

Would €34 per sq yd for wide oak laminate including fitting be good value?

Is it best to get the wood/tiles and get someone independent to fit it? or take the shop recommendation?

What is the average price to fit laminate? and tiles per sq yard?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

I recently had alot of Tiling done.
    Make sure you get a few quotes and references. Ideally you want to see the tilers standard of work so maybe go with someone who's work you can see. Anything less than €20 per sq yard is very good (this is for labour only). You will probably be charged more if you are only getting a small area done.
    If you are buying alot of tiles i would recommend not buying the adhesives and grout at the same time. Instead figure out the total amount you will need and go to a builders providers. You will be amazed by the difference in prices, alot of tile shops are making huge margins on adhesives and grout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Currently in the middle of a house extension and dropped into Des Kelly's on Saturday to see what sort of wooden floors they stocked.

Was quoted approx €50 per sq. metre for a solid oak floor with free fitting. You have to pay for the lining as well but was surprised to see that the labour came free. Has saved us probably two grand all in all.

Anyone ever bought a wooden floor from Des Kelly? Would like to hear your opinion as I was a bit sceptical on the way in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

free fitting.

Yea kelly is always giving away something for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

I was in Brooks last week and they had solid oak for about €30/y + VAT. Watch out though, they are quoting in yards sq and not inc VAT in price tag. Got caught when I bought the walnut - didn't realise that the VAT was not included in the offer price of €45.90/y :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

www.floorworld.ie
    I went to Galway for my floors :D
    Website is rubbish... however you get the idea of how cheap they are.
    Laminate from €7,99 sq mtr. All laminate has FREE underlay.
    I got the slightly more expensive stuff. I was able to get laminate for my large living room, large hall, 1 medium spare bedroom and the master bedroom for €880
    I got someone to do hall and living room for €250 (worked out at €5/sq yrd).
    I did the spare room myself and will get around to the master bedroom after we re-paint it.
    Oh its easy enough to do but its a 2 person job as one side pops out when you slot the next piece in so you need someone helping it to stay in. I was wrecked for days after it :D

Anyway if you live near a floorworld they say its €9 /sq yrd for fitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Blue Duck that sounds expensive to me for laminate!?! You can get laminate for about 7 euro per square yard and underlay is only 15 euro for 25 sq metres approx. We paid a guy around 30-35 euro per square yard to lay solid timber flooring. I think that you might be charged a bit too much for putting down laminate which is much easier to fit. Check around for other quotes.

I would always buy my tiles and flooring and just get a labour cost from fitters. Otherwise they get discount on what they buy from the shops and charge you full price plus their full labour price per square yard so they are making on the product as well. Often times if you are doing a large area the shop will also be negotiable with you or you could wait until the sales and save money that way. Either way I think that a guy supplying the flooring and fitting it is not going to save you any money.

Shop around down the country tiles and flooring can be very good value when you take the time to price around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What would the going rate be for some one to fit solid or smei solid floors?

Advertisement