Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new system

Options
  • 20-11-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

ok i have waited a couple of weeks and am now ready to build. I already have a 6600c2d and have 1650euros to spend on a system that must include a 8800gtx. No monitor required. Any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Here are some of my picks;

Motherboard: nForce 680i SLI

RAM: 2GB DDR-2 667

HD: Western Digital SE16

Audio: SB X-Fi Extreme Music Edition

DVDRW: NEC-5170

PSU: Tagan 580W EasyCon

Case: Whatever takes your fancy.

Minus the case that should come to about €950, leaving just enough room for a case & an 8800GTX I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

thanks 8T8 what disadvantages if any would there b if I used one of the better abit or asus boards, also a sound card vs onboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

that is probley the best mobo u can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

awhir wrote:
    that is probley the best mobo u can get.

Its the only mobo. you can get for now ,wait a few weeks for the new hardware Asus ,DFI, and Abit are on the way.

You can buy a sound card any time its only €129.00 i would put the money in a better psu (a good sound card needs good speakers.)

The on-board HD audio on the nForce board is decent enough but the cost of an X-Fi OEM version isn't that much and you do get better sound out of it.

Plus if you are a gamer may as well get the X-Fi music one for EAX/OpenAL and the lower CPU usage.

As for mobos you can wait if you want or go with an Intel 965/975 but you will probably be getting the same thing from Abit/Asus in regards the nForce 680i as NVIDIA designed the reference board & is allowing it's partners to sell it.

A review can be found on Hexus of the EVGA 680i SLI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Sorry lads, what I meant was any of the better motherboards out there at the moment such as the abit aw9d-max or the asus p5w dh, how would these boards perform with the gfx card.. alos thinking of getting the ocz 700watt power supply

The performance of the graphics card will be the same across all motherboards there really isn't anything different in this area.

The only item of note is that SLI is only supported on NVIDIA chipsets so if you went with an Intel chipset then you would lose that option but if you have no plans for SLI then that's a mute point.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

the 8800GTX is around the €600 mark to €650

try look around ebay you might find one for a little less. but if its only a little different I would rather buy from a shop locally.

ordered eVGA one myself for about €620

The OCZ 700W PSU seems pretty good, using it myself, Quad SLi certified by nVidia, I only use one card so there be no problem running the 8800GTX, not sure about 8800GTX on SLi though. other than that, I think this PSU is very good and not too expensive

Advertisement