Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears of War

Options
  • 20-11-2006 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

This game is simply stunning. I can't believe there is no previous thread!
    Graphics, production values and sound are all top notch, but the real clincher is the combat.

Add in the seamless Live co-op and (so far) lag free multiplayer, its the best game on the shelves at the moment.

In my own humble opinion of course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Before this thread is closed/moved/whatever: goddamn I love that "Mad World" ad.
    Hauntingly beautiful -- almost makes me want to get a GOW setup...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

beats the crap out of that wii ad.....wtf is that thing about unless you knew what a wii was you think its a fancy remote control for sky or something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Before this thread is closed/moved/whatever:

Nope, it's about a game and this is the Games forum.

SAFE!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I saw a beautiful ad for this yesterday. Beautiful I tells ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

its by david fincher right?

I heard someone say that somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So am I the only one who thinks that the ad is ridiculous? Seriously, it's terrible. a the song just doesn't suit it at all. I know they're trying to go for the whole "solemn music over a thrilling scene" clichè, but it just didn't work. (Although it's still better than the Calvin Kline-esque Wii ads! :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Classic game. Single player is brilliant but a tad short (arent all the best games tho? SOTC? HL2?), Co-op is BRILLIANT fun, absolutely classic it is, and multiplayer hmmm...well im honestly torn. Ine one hand its amazing, really makes you use cover and blind firing, and promotes teamplay better than ive ever seen, on the other hand, if you dont have a good team, prepare to get PISSED THE F*CK OFF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

humanji wrote:
    So am I the only one who thinks that the ad is ridiculous? Seriously, it's terrible. a the song just doesn't suit it at all. I know they're trying to go for the whole "solemn music over a thrilling scene" clichè, but it just didn't work. (Although it's still better than the Calvin Kline-esque Wii ads! :D )

nope i agree with you there, ad music is crap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think the ad is crap as well. If the music was different it would have been far better. Anyway the original tears for fears song is far better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-mhlMpFIug&NR
    Was looking for a less dark copy of the ad and found this one.
    the music is far more fitting:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i laughed at that ad when i saw it first. awful gay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I suppose it's better than all those awful videogame amv's on youtube with either Evanescence, Linkin Park or Slipknot as the backing music. But only just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

amp wrote:
    Nope, it's about a game and this is the Games forum.

SAFE!

Such logic, wish I could be smart so I could mod :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Can anyone confirm that the game IS coming out for PC? that ad is awesome btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Giruilla wrote:
    Can anyone confirm that the game IS coming out for PC? that ad is awesome btw

No its not confirmed but Epic are the best game software makers ever, so its coming to PC at some stage. I think the onus is on Msft to publish it.

I would imagine sometime next "fall" it be a DX10 game using UT3.0

Which means Epic made it so it will run at some lovely level on most pcs.

God bless Epic!!

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tis quite a savage game. Nearly completed it now and cannot wait to give it a bash again at mega hard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Hopefuuly my bro will get this for christmas for me.I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I'm still waiting for my 'preorder' to come from cdwow. They only shipped it on Wednesday.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I'm still waiting for my 'preorder' to come from cdwow. They only shipped it on Wednesday.:mad:
    i havnt got mine from play.com either...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Have to be honest, I think the ad rocks. Best game advert I have seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Not too pushed with this one myself. It's a good game, but nothing brilliant. It has a few nice touches (I like the swinging grenades :D ), most of which has been done before. I also found it a little hard to figure out what I was meant to be doing at times, although admittedly, this mostly happened at the start when I was trying to get to grips with the game (couldn't get used to the character being to the left of the screen and kept smacking into walls! lol ).

Didn't think much of the multiplayer parts, although co-op was fun, trying to be as "army like" as possible and failing miserably! :) But once I'm done with it, I can't imagine going back to it at all. A tad over-hyped, IMO

humanji wrote:
    Not too pushed with this one myself. It's a good game, but nothing brilliant. It has a few nice touches (I like the swinging grenades :D ), most of which has been done before. I also found it a little hard to figure out what I was meant to be doing at times, although admittedly, this mostly happened at the start when I was trying to get to grips with the game (couldn't get used to the character being to the left of the screen and kept smacking into walls! lol ).

Didn't think much of the multiplayer parts, although co-op was fun, trying to be as "army like" as possible and failing miserably! :) But once I'm done with it, I can't imagine going back to it at all. A tad over-hyped, IMO
    You just need to play MP with friends, or failing that just a good team. Its not alot of fun being stuck on a team getting butt-f*cked, but myself and a mate played this online yesterday for about 8 hours, and we were the ones doing some extreme butt*****ing. One round came down to just me vs all 4 locust players...did i take them all out single handed? You bet your arse :D Probably one of the msot fun online games ive ever played.
    Also absolutely love single palyer and co-op, easily the best game on the 360 for me, along with dead rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

COD3 multiplayer is better than Gears multiplayer IMO

I like big maps with lots of players, and the chainsaw attack is pure pot luck too

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Multiplayer on GOW is fantastic. Really good fun. But it does help a lot if you are on a good team and you talk to each other to help each other out. Its all about team work. Not sure how far I am through it, but once done ill go back and play it again on the other two difficulties. Ill have to get a copy of COD3 as I have heard good things about it and its multiplayer component.

COD3 multiplayer is better than Gears multiplayer IMO

I like big maps with lots of players, and the chainsaw attack is pure pot luck too
    Chainsaw is pot luck at FIRST, but after a while you know EXACTLY when to risk charging someone with a chainsaw and when not to. you can spot someone whos easy chainsaw fodder a mile off. On tyro station last night, me and one ofther guy left, hes behind a pillar 20ft away with a torque bow, i stuck my head out long enough for him to charge up his bow, ducked back behind the pilar, then when his bow went off, i chainsaw charged him knowing full well i had about 4 - 5 seconds before he reloaded. now thats timing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

tman wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-mhlMpFIug&NR
    Was looking for a less dark copy of the ad and found this one.
    the music is far more fitting:p

This is not getting enough love. Ah yakaty sax there is nothing you can't improve!

As for the game, its good, co-op is probably the best thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I thought this would be more fitting, seeing as its for the game :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9jSUwq_e7oo

Fan Made Video FTW

I thought this would be more fitting, seeing as its for the game :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9jSUwq_e7oo

Fan Made Video FTW
    Thats actually pretty quality :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I think the ad is brilliant! Mad World is a class song and it suits that ad well!

Advertisement