Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTN Launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

From CTN's response it would appear they are more interested in getting xbox's and keeping their members entertained than producing a quality end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

CTN wrote:
    Did anyone actually attend the launch party of CTN in Astra Hall yesterday?

The launch was great, very good, nice, a bit forgetful. Did that band actually play? I was under the impression that I drunkenly hogged the bass for a long time and couldn't get enough of the sound of my own voicings.
    I have no interest in watching television, but hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I really think that CTN (the poster) needs to cop on - rapidly. It appears that I have been fortunate in not having seen the CTN magazine yet. But when the head of CTN is being paid (something I was told the other day) then the duty of that person (and the organisation in general) is not to the members of CTN, but to the public at large, especially if that money comes from student funds in any way. Any society will tell you that although those who sign up are the main priority, those who haven't signed up are potential members. If you ignore them, or treat their ideas as being unworthy of your time without due consideration, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

At least they're managing to broadcast this year, I guess. Even if what they currently have listed as broadcast material looks duller than a tesco value cereal packet to me. I just hope they're going to do more than merely feed the egos of the presenters and bellies of the minions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

To be fair to CTN (and I've been critical of them on here in the past), they're up and running. No mean feat and it takes a fair degree of initiative i'm sure. Pamela and the rest should be rightly proud. I have yet to see any broadcasts, but I'd swear some people are expecting BBC like news and drama that going to take on LOST. It's very very early days with a lot of inexperienced people. You can see that there has been a mass of effort that's gone in, that's clearly apparent.

What is disappointing is that there really is a distinct whiff of cliquey-ness about it. It's always going to happen to a small degree among the committee etc because if people don't get on it all falls apart, but it goes beyond that. Go on to the website and you see the CTN members day out, or choose to 'meet the presenters'. I couldn't care less, to be honest, I'll meet them when they sit in front of me in theatre P. The mag was a good idea but it looked and felt like B&L all over again.

Like if you want to get involved, you can get an email address. Cool but where is this office then? Seems to be a well guarded secret....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CTN

I find so many of ye hilarious!!! Ye come on here and slag off the CTN Guide yet none of ye even contributed articles to it! CTN advertised on boards looking for contributers and the majority of ye refrained from doing do...yet ye have the audacity to come on and put down the magazine. CTN is bringing out another magazine after christmas...I would suggest you spend less time here putting down our current issue...and getting writing articles for our next issue!

Absolutely no member of CTN gets paid a single cent....not even the station manager...it is all completely voluntary. I have said it before and I will say it again...stop commenting on things you have absolutely no idea about.

On a final note...stop criticising programmes and start making them. Don't just watch TV...make it. Get involved in CTN; email ucdctn@gmail.com

The main purpose of setting up CTN was to provide a training ground to students in editing, presenting, filming, producing etc so yes CTN's members are the most important people to CTN.

• Advertisement

I like you, you're funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Hey CTN, all you guys in CTN are doing a really good job and its great you had a good start because first impressions really matter for any new intiative.

I wish I could help out but I'm too busy.Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

i was talking about both! i watched the dating show and my eyes bled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

For once, I'm with Chaker on this one.

All you critics should be down right ashamed of yourselves.

It isn't Sky News - it's the first Campus TV station in the country. It is no going to be brilliant, but that shouldn't take from the work they do/have done.
    For a limited resources TV station, and complete amateurs, don't expect miracles. Also, it's all voluntary work, and I know of a camera crew filming till past 11pm recently in a Sports Club for a new show.

For the record, I've seen none of it, but I will wait till they get their feet on the ground before I run them to the ground. Also for the record, I've nothing to do with CTN and I'm not a member.

As for the rumours of the Head being paid, Blush, perhaps you could qualify this or state who is spreading rumours? It's news to me if a Society head get paid. I think the CTN poster has clarified this matter.

If you don't like it, buy a TV licence and/or pay Sky 30euro per month.

What they don't have cable in the residences? :eek:

By cable I mean the British channels and a few others.

• Advertisement

cast_iron wrote:
    For once, I'm with Chaker on this one.

All you critics should be down right ashamed of yourselves.

It isn't Sky News - it's the first Campus TV station in the country. It is no going to be brilliant, but that shouldn't take from the work they do/have done.
    For a limited resources TV station, and complete amateurs, don't expect miracles. Also, it's all voluntary work, and I know of a camera crew filming till past 11pm recently in a Sports Club for a new show.

For the record, I've seen none of it, but I will wait till they get their feet on the ground before I run them to the ground. Also for the record, I've nothing to do with CTN and I'm not a member.

As for the rumours of the Head being paid, Blush, perhaps you could qualify this or state who is spreading rumours? It's news to me if a Society head get paid. I think the CTN poster has clarified this matter.

If you don't like it, buy a TV licence and/or pay Sky 30euro per month.

I didn't know I could get Sky on my laptop. Will look into it. :rolleyes:

Apart from being an authority on all things sports related, have you ever been in a society? Do you understand the concept of being in before 8 (that's when the Arts block used to open) and not leaving until they unlock the building to let you out of it because you had so much to do that you got locked in after 10? If that's what's needed to get whatever done, that's what's done. Don't expect us to bend over backwards slapping CTN on the back for doing what's involved in making CTN do what it should be doing - broadcasting - because you'll get no sympathy from the people who have put in 14+ hour days for no thanks doing things voluntarily in the past. The attitude of CTN - the poster - has been "fcuk you all, you're not members, we don't care what you think". That's fine. Advertising the fact that there are games consoles in that office (which I know better than I care to remember and spent more hours of my life in than I thought was sanely possible without sleeping there overnight) won't win any praise from the people involved in other aspects of college life either. Those offices should be for work purposes, that's usually why an office is provided - storage, and work. I guess the work bit is irrelevant though, I mean, we should just be praising them and not honestly giving our opinion, having examined (or tried to examine) the product they're providing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

for whoever asked i think the office on the bottom floor of the arts block, near the trap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sangre wrote:
    Well Mr. President, 1992 called, they want their pants back.

:D lol.... he can pull them of though,not many peope can!

Chakar wrote:
    What they don't have cable in the residences? .

The only place they have it is in the old roebuck.We had it in first year,its the only pro to living there.

CTN....thats great you have playstaion and xbox but will you give us a listings here or put one up on your website please :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I asked this before but it hasn't been answered as far as I can see.
    Where do CTN get all the money to pay for food, drinks, xboxes, equipment etc?

Pythia wrote:
    I asked this before but it hasn't been answered as far as I can see.
    Where do CTN get all the money to pay for food, drinks, xboxes, equipment etc?

They get the majority of their funding from the college a lot of it comes from the Vice President for Students Mary Clayton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PamelaNewenham

Hi everyone,
    My name is Pamela Newenham and I am the Station Manager of CTN. I would like to clarify a few things.
    1. CTN is open to all students of University College Dublin. Anyone is welcome to try their hand at presenting, producing, editing, filming etc and we will not turn anyone away, nor have we ever done so. Our motto is the more the merrier, and we are not cliquey has people seem to believe so I would urge ye all to please please get involved. CTN is having a meeting tommorow (Friday) at 5pm in Rooms 1, 2 and 3 upstairs in the Student Centre. Anyone wanting to attend to get involved is welcome to do so :)

2. The majority of CTN's funding comes from Bank of Ireland, Centra and people in CTN. There has only been one thing funded by UCD, and that was Libel and Slander Insurance for CTN. Everything else in CTN is funded by sponsors etc. The things we have in our office such as the TV, Computer etc were kindly donated to CTN by the parents of some of our active members.

3. The CTN Guide was a fun thing for everyone in CTN to put together. It is not aiming to be Time Magazine or anything. The majority of our programmes in CTN are about various clubs, societies and UCD ents. That is the reason we put four pages of photos of their events in. Also we knew it would draw more people to the magazine as they would want to see if there was a photo of them or their friends. Nor were we trying to be like the RTE Guide and thus we refrained from putting too much about programmes in or programme listings.

4. There has been a lot of bashing of CTN Members on this forum, saying we are all B&L Heads/D4 Heads. This is far from true. I am from the countryside of Cork and am anything but a D4 head. Other students who sit on the exec board and committee with me are from London, Glasgow, India, Galway, Shankill etc. The cliqueness term may come from the fact we are all very good friends, but when you spend so much time together doing everything from editing to filming, organising events to producing, you are bound to become good friends.

5. CTN is a STUDENT Television Station. I cannot clarify this enough. We are not trying to be RTE/BBC/SKY. If people want to watch serious programmes they can watch those channels. If you want to watch obviously student programmes, watch CTN.

So, on a final note....I would urge ye all to get involved in CTN, and to help make it the best station it can possibly be. CTN is the first student tv station ever to be set up in Ireland...its a pretty big deal...so get involved, be a part of it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Pamela I think you'll find people will be a lot more receptive to thought-out, article posts like the one above. No dout a lot of the negative reaction to CTN is as result of the poster CTN basically telling everyone to 'píss off if you're not a member'.

Even though I defended the station, I agree with Sangre here.

She (I'm guessing) really did the station no favours with her tone, and was never going to win anyone over like that.

Leave the statements to the law students, i reckon.:)

Blush_01 wrote:
    I didn't know I could get Sky on my laptop. Will look into it. :rolleyes:
    For the record, with the right equipment it is possible to view Sky on your laptop. If you really are interested, let me know.
    Blush_01 wrote:
    Apart from being an authority on all things sports related, have you ever been in a society?
    Yes, though I calling me "an authority on all things sports related" is a bit of a stretch.
    Blush_01 wrote:
    Do you understand the concept of being in before 8 (that's when the Arts block used to open) and not leaving until they unlock the building to let you out of it because you had so much to do that you got locked in after 10? If that's what's needed to get whatever done, that's what's done.
    Yes, I've waited on cold Winter's morning for Services to open at 8am - and gotten kicked out a bit earlier than the 10pm "closing" time.

As long as you are not confusing Academic work with Club/Soc work that's fine. Academic work is not voluntary work, as such, so you can't really compare them in this case.
    Blush_01 wrote:
    Don't expect us to bend over backwards slapping CTN on the back for doing what's involved in making CTN do what it should be doing - broadcasting - because you'll get no sympathy from the people who have put in 14+ hour days for no thanks doing things voluntarily in the past.
    Well I didn't realise that sitting at your laptop criticising/praising was bending over backwards for anything. Be careful of your posture!:p
    Blush_01 wrote:
    The attitude of CTN - the poster - has been "fcuk you all, you're not members, we don't care what you think". That's fine.
    Agreed, but to me, it's not fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 apes_h

Grimes wrote:
    i dont think its the programming but the people involved... dont know them personally but im just going by what the word on the street is.

does it really matter if they are d4 or not d4..either way what they have done is great. first student televison station in ireland - i think they deserve a well done not slack..lose the chip off your shoulders

also how the hell does the poster say 'fcuk you all, you're not members.

• Advertisement

Chakar wrote:
    They get the majority of their funding from the college a lot of it comes from the Vice President for Students Mary Clayton.

My mistake Pamela.Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I have to say fair play to them. It's easy to criticise something when you've not involvement in it, or if it isn't focussed around your own personal lifestyle choices (possibly because, IMHO, a lot of the people criticising it would be slow to put themselves on the line in front of camera, and are much happier sitting safe anonymously in front of a television).

It is a major achievement, and if someone doesn't like the way it's run, then why not get involved and change it. It's not that hard, by the sound of it, to have a go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Heres my idea for a show...
    (Quick field tests have proved very effective)

*Bit of an art attack moment here but using super glue instead of PVA*
    Apparatus: Super glue, bag on €1 coins (or 10c coins, depending how cheap the faculty), camera

Now all we gotta do is stick €1 coins to desks and watch people try and lift them... its also a great way to spend time dossing from class

I'd recommend not doing it in the science block or eng block cos these guys really have ingenious methods of getting coins up and you'll be down a lot of dough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

gubbie wrote:
    Heres my idea for a show...
    (Quick field tests have proved very effective)

*Bit of an art attack moment here but using super glue instead of PVA*
    Apparatus: Super glue, bag on €1 coins (or 10c coins, depending how cheap the faculty), camera

Now all we gotta do is stick €1 coins to desks and watch people try and lift them... its also a great way to spend time dossing from class

I'd recommend not doing it in the science block or eng block cos these guys really have ingenious methods of getting coins up and you'll be down a lot of dough

You're really getting far too much mileage out of that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

abelard wrote:
    You're really getting far too much mileage out of that idea.
    What can I say-its an amusing way to spend your day. The only other idea I could think of was "When that big red hunk of corrigated iron in the eng block starts moving" (the way I had that put before was way too perverted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

panda100 wrote:
    The only place they have it is in the old roebuck.We had it in first year,its the only pro to living there.

Glen and new roebuck both have cable too and when i lived in Merville we used to pick up a few channels too - sorry just wanted to say that.

Glen and new roebuck both have cable too and when i lived in Merville we used to pick up a few channels too - sorry just wanted to say that.
    Glenomena does not have "cable" as the term is commonly used. However, there are satellite channels piped throughout the building. The Irish channels are also available.

I would imagine that the new Roebuck is similar.

cast_iron, I'm not getting into a quote-war with you, as it seems you like nothing more. However, to clarify:

The comment about your authority on sport related to your hissy fit about the posters. You do remember that, don't you?

Since when did I claim academic work was voluntary in the same respect as club/society work? Based on your post, I believe you're making an assumption that I can't understand the difference between academic and non-academic work. I more than understand the concept of working your ass off voluntarily. I also understand having to beg services for 5 minutes more so you can get work finished. I get the concept of coming in on every day off you have during the summer in order to organise things. I "get" extra-curricular work - not just during term time either.

I'm sorry that you can't understand our right to criticise something that many of us have actually taken the time to try to use but have found vastly lacking. Maybe we should praise it regardless of how we feel about it. I mean, it's not trying to be RTE/BBC/Sky or anything (though many may find that a deterrent rather than something which would encourage them to get involved - if the people behind it don't want it to be GREAT and will settle for just being, what kind of a message does that send?) so maybe voicing the opinion of it's intended audience is something that is unnecessary. I, if I remember correctly, asked that you not expect us to bend over backwards to praise CTN because as yet it has not shown itself to be deserving of praise. Condemn me for feeling that way if you will, but I'm as entitled to that opinion as you are to yours.

Finally, please do try to keep what I say in context. It's not actually that difficult to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

cast_iron wrote:
    Glenomena does not have "cable" as the term is commonly used. However, there are satellite channels piped throughout the building. The Irish channels are also available.

I would imagine that the new Roebuck is similar.

Right clarification: I referred to it as cable due to the fact we needed to purchase a cable to view these extra channels.

Apologies for my technological misquote.

Either which way it's good to have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Can it be explained to this n00b over here how you spot the difference, because I dont see any satelite dishes anywhere

Advertisement