Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTN Launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Right clarification: I referred to it as cable due to the fact we needed to purchase a cable to view these extra channels.

Apologies for my technological misquote.

Either which way it's good to have it.
    WOW

I'd to make do with fuzzy RTE1, RTE2 and TG4 and on a green screen. Had CTN been on last year I so would have watched it. But wasn't it supposed to have started a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

As far as I know they only set up last year and registered as a society this year.
    Generally these types of things take years to get off the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Can it be explained to this n00b over here how you spot the difference, because I dont see any satelite dishes anywhere

I think they have just have aerials with that adaptor thing that gives you english channels, don't ask me what it's called down here it's called south something tv or some such. Dublin no doubt has some other name for it.

Interestingly this is what is it called this on the Glen website so who knows what it really is tbh!
    Satellite TV Channels

EDIT; Just realised I'm after going terribly off topic. Apologies Hulla. Actually question: Is CTN broadcasting to the residences?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Dear Pamela,

My name is Úna Ryan. I'm around JHN and the Library most days (when I'm not working). I'm perfectly entitled to say what I like, when I like, about whatever I like. Everything I have said so far has been in response to the posts of CTN or cast_iron, apart from my initial posts stating that the programme listing for CTN (the station, not the poster) held no appeal for me, after I took the time to see what was on offer. There's nothing that appeals to me, nor are any of the links working, therefore I won't praise it. If that offends you in some way that's unfortunate, but I have no duty to praise what as yet has not earned praise.

I'm well aware of where your office is (I used it for long enough), it's beside the FilmSoc office (are FilmSoc still in it?) near the Tribune's office, on the opposite end of the TRAP corridor to DramSoc. I'm also aware that every time I try to watch the current productions, none of them work. The link to subscribe to podcasts won't work for me either. Would you like me to congratulate you for that?

You may be working really, really hard. That's fantastic, it really is, as is the advent of a new era in UCD's media productions. But when you yourself state - I'm quoting you here, not anyone else -
    CTN is a STUDENT Television Station. I cannot clarify this enough. We are not trying to be RTE/BBC/SKY. If people want to watch serious programmes they can watch those channels. If you want to watch obviously student programmes, watch CTN.
    then how can you fault me for having a problem with that kind of attitude when you backtrack and blame lack of ideas and work? I haven't put down the production or the quality of the work - it could be fantastic, and it would be nice to be able to access it without too much effort but that doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I have, however, stated my disinterest in what's on offer - which I'm entitled to do - and I have made the repeated effort to see what CTN is offering. I have addressed the posts of CTN (the poster) and cast_iron. I have yet to see what part of this is out of order.

As for programme ideas - how about a half hour long weekly campus news show? Or a documentary on a different part of UCD, the history behind it etc. - water tower, JHN building, lake, that kind of thing? Possibly occasionally show a DramSoc play - maybe CTN involvement would allow for the purchase of rights to be subsidised, so the lack of rights to the plays wouldn't pose a barrier to showing it? That's a very, very limited addition to what you have already, but it would at least provide more options for students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Blush_01 wrote:
    As for programme ideas - how about a half hour long weekly campus news show? Or a documentary on a different part of UCD, the history behind it etc. - water tower, JHN building, lake, that kind of thing? Possibly occasionally show a DramSoc play - maybe CTN involvement would allow for the purchase of rights to be subsidised, so the lack of rights to the plays wouldn't pose a barrier to showing it? That's a very, very limited addition to what you have already, but it would at least provide more options for students.

Those are good ideas.I like the one about recording the Dramsoc plays, all CTN would have to do is come to an agreement with the Auditor of Dramsoc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Can it be explained to this n00b over here how you spot the difference, because I dont see any satelite dishes anywhere
    They use a combination of aerials (for Irish stations) and satellite dishes (for English stations), and this is distributed throught the buildings using a 'head end' system. They are actually on top of the buildings.

I don't know the exact ins and outs of the initial wiring, but it really should have been setup to easily take a feed from the college (eg. CTN) and distribute it around the res.
    Personally, I doubt it was done (I hope I'm wrong), and would guess that it would be fairly expensive to implement such a system at this stage.

Blush_01 wrote:
    Since when did I claim academic work was voluntary in the same respect as club/society work? Based on your post, I believe you're making an assumption that I can't understand the difference between academic and non-academic work. I more than understand the concept of working your ass off voluntarily. I also understand having to beg services for 5 minutes more so you can get work finished. I get the concept of coming in on every day off you have during the summer in order to organise things. I "get" extra-curricular work - not just during term time either.

I'm sorry that you can't understand our right to criticise something that many of us have actually taken the time to try to use but have found vastly lacking. Maybe we should praise it regardless of how we feel about it. I mean, it's not trying to be RTE/BBC/Sky or anything (though many may find that a deterrent rather than something which would encourage them to get involved - if the people behind it don't want it to be GREAT and will settle for just being, what kind of a message does that send?) so maybe voicing the opinion of it's intended audience is something that is unnecessary. I, if I remember correctly, asked that you not expect us to bend over backwards to praise CTN because as yet it has not shown itself to be deserving of praise. Condemn me for feeling that way if you will, but I'm as entitled to that opinion as you are to yours.

Finally, please do try to keep what I say in context. It's not actually that difficult to do.
    Blush,
    I think you've taken Pamela up wrong. For a start, I don't think her post was aimed at you personally, so why you decided to write her a note, I dunno.

Also, I think you take her up wrong - she isn't trying to do something ordinary, but rather is being realistic in what CTN can produce with it's limited resources. I certainly dont think she/CTN isn't trying to be as professional as she/they can be.
    Personally, I would rather her speak of the realities of the situation, instead of giving unrealistic Bull Sh*t.

It's good to see you've offered some program ideas to CTN - it's more than I've done. Also, maybe try the latest version of Apple Quicktime - I had issues viewing the website also and an upgrade sorted it for me.

cast_iron - I think you're missing something. Like Pamela's last post, which she addressed to me personally and asked that I stop putting CTN down, invited me to contact her at her ctn e-mail address and told me to come up with some programme ideas if what was there didn't appeal (which I did. I guess she mustn't have liked that, huh.). Why else would I personally address a post to her?

Where oh where has her little post gone, oh where, oh where can it be? Anybody care to fill us in? It used to be between Stepherunie's 13:57 post yesterday and my response.

All I can say is, if Pamela deleted it herself, that's very poor show. I validly explained my points, and offered her an alternative as per her request in her post. If it was deleted by a Mod, I'd like an explanation as to why. She should be entitled to express herself as freely as we are on this board - that's why I guess it's more likely that she deleted it herself.

Anyone else care to verify the previous existence of her post?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

She deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

yup I read the post. I do think ctn have been greeted with some scepticism here though. I'm guilty of that too, I saw the programme and listening to ctn boast about what they had in the office and how the uninvolved students of ucd don't matter to them and of course the launch which was considerably grander than any society event I've been to. So I thought oh great here's a bunch of **** getting a load of funding and pissing it down the toilet.

However after reading Ms Newman's(I think that was her name:confused:) first post here I was much more encouraged. If indeed they have worked hard to get the funding and put the effort in to get it up and running and equally importantly are willing to give anyone who wants to get involved the opportunity to do so I say fair play to them. It's early days and I'm willing to give them a chance and hopefully we'll see some interesting programs to come. I think the drama soc idea was a really good one btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 muckraker

People are right to be skeptical. Has anyone here actually seen CTN on a TV outside of their website and launch? Because AFAIK, they arent broadcasting at all, despite what the Sunday business Post and the 'CTN Guide' may say.

Perhaps CTN or Pamela could explain exactly where CTN it is being broadcast from and who is capable of recieving it, what the day to day listings are, and what the hours of broadcasting are. Other than a video on the website and a DVD at the launch, there is no evidence yet that there is a TV station at all, even though its supposedly being broadcast for the past week...

Is this the biggest scam in UCD history? I heard a rumour that not only is CTN not broadcasting, but that the facilities required for a campus wide broadcast are not even available in UCD at the moment! :confused:

Blush, I didn't recall the post being addressed to you. I got the impression it was addressed to all here.
    If it was to you, apologies for my mistake.

(Pity nobody quoted her entire post)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CTN

Hi muckraker,
    Pamela here (for some reason I can't log in as my own name today, so Im logging in under the CTN name).
    CTN did broadcast every day last week in the Student Bar. However, it did not broadcast around lunch each day (despite what the CTN posters said). The reason for this, is that the student bar received so many complaints from people eating their lunch and having to watch the iron stomach competition. As a result, it was broadcast in the student bar in the afternoon, and in the Forum Bar too.
    CTN was supposed to be broadcast to the Student Centre each day, but we had technical difficulties in AVC, and as a result the screen in the Student Centre kept freezing every 20 minutes. We spent the end of last week and today trying to rectify this problem, and hopefully we will be broadcasting tommorow at noon in the student centre, and if not tommorow, wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

If anyone is using IE click browse offline and look at your history and you might have pamelas deleted post, you shouldnt since youve visited the page since, but sometimes you just...do...:confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Iron stomach as a programming choice? You've got to be kidding. That stuff is only entertaining on a slightly alcohol-hazed warm september day in the pit of the forum bar. What a clanger of a lack of tact.

No excuse for technical hiccups. To their credit more recently, computer services run a relatively fast and reliable network. Also i gather there's coax (cable TV cabling to the uninitiated) to a lot of the buildings although not used. There definitely was an in-house notices TV channel called Unitel which was displayed on screens in the library, admin and science a few years ago. Stop complaining on the observer (in that insufferable article) about screens freezing every 20 minutes. You shouldn't have gone live or had your expensive launch party until you'd sorted that out.

Am I tripping or have there been posts surreptitiously deleted in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Nope your not tripping.. or then again maybe we both are..

Says a lot about their arguement if they have to delete posts imo.

but, but, one of them was mine:( just weird, I think I need more sleep, actually I know I do.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

crash_000 deleted them.

Something about abuse.

Typical trinners so and so, comes in here, stealing our women, deleting our posts and not so much as a sorry*spits:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 apes_h

is that blush lady taking the piss....the history of ucd such as the water tower etc..get a grip who cares about the water tower

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

some people actually are interested in that for your information. i find the whole eastern bloc overtones of the campus quite intriguing. why do you think people are interested in the stuff you watch?

apes_h wrote:
    is that blush lady taking the piss....the history of ucd such as the water tower etc..get a grip who cares about the water tower

No, that Blush lady is not taking the piss, it's a suggestion. As I said, it may not be a good suggestion in the eyes of many, but it would offer variety while providing something generally pretty easy to script and film. What's your suggestion, as a matter of interest?

cast_iron wrote:
    Blush, I didn't recall the post being addressed to you. I got the impression it was addressed to all here.
    If it was to you, apologies for my mistake.

(Pity nobody quoted her entire post)

I wish I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

good to see they have their best man on it anyway:rolleyes:

should be interesting to say the least!

tintinr35 wrote:
    good to see they have their best man on it anyway:rolleyes:

should be interesting to say the least!
    I don't understand that:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

ah im just taking the piss, ur man is .......how shall i say it.......larger than life might be approprite, see him round the arts block the whole time in his sun glasses when its raining and the like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

tintinr35 wrote:
    ah im just taking the piss, ur man is .......how shall i say it.......larger than life might be approprite, see him round the arts block the whole time in his sun glasses when its raining and the like!!

The diamond earings are v.david beckham....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah his name is Paul and yeah he's quite colourful literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hes presenting fashion? The guy is a walking travesty. I think he dresses terribly on purpose to set trends, its so bad its good.

Advertisement