Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTN Launch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

despite what some people may say, i think a series about the history of ucds various wonders would be brilliant. i htink we need to know about the history of the college, and it might raise the tone of the station a bit.

correct me if im wrong but, shouldnt a tv station broadcast to more than a bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 muckraker

CTN wrote:
    Hi muckraker,
    Pamela here (for some reason I can't log in as my own name today, so Im logging in under the CTN name).
    CTN did broadcast every day last week in the Student Bar. However, it did not broadcast around lunch each day (despite what the CTN posters said). The reason for this, is that the student bar received so many complaints from people eating their lunch and having to watch the iron stomach competition. As a result, it was broadcast in the student bar in the afternoon, and in the Forum Bar too.
    CTN was supposed to be broadcast to the Student Centre each day, but we had technical difficulties in AVC, and as a result the screen in the Student Centre kept freezing every 20 minutes. We spent the end of last week and today trying to rectify this problem, and hopefully we will be broadcasting tommorow at noon in the student centre, and if not tommorow, wednesday.

Hi Pamela

Thanks for your response. Just a quick question.

Here is the dictionary definition of 'broadcast':

1. To transmit a radio or television program for public or general use.
    2. To be on the air: The station begins broadcasting at 6 A.M.
    3. To participate in a radio or television program.
    4. To send a transmission or signal; transmit.

With that in mind, can you confirm that CTN is actually 'broadcasting' and not simply playing looped DVDs in various venues in the University, which does not constitute 'broadcasting' by any definition of the word? As for the (no doubt valid) technical difficulties, surely these should have been solved before the launch of the station?

All seems very slapdash to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

muckraker wrote:
    All seems very slapdash to me...

I dont think so myself, saw a bit of it last week

I dont think so myself, saw a bit of it last week

Im not referring to the programming, im talking about the technical set-up and the transmission itself (or lack therof). Producing programing is one thing, and Im not criticising CTN's content, Im just pointing out that a TV station has to broadcast to qualify as a TV station. Otherwise its just someone making a video or DVD and playing it at a venue.

If I showed up at your house or at the local pub with a DVD of some films I made and showed them on the TV, would that constitue a broadcast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

ctn rocks.
    why?
    it gives students a chance to experiment with presenting editing and producing. it is doing something that has never benn done in ireland before. of course there are going to be problems at the start. but we're only students not feckin' rte or paramount comedy.
    anyone who doesnt like our shows, go make ones that are better.

pam rocks. she works hard. dont like what she does, why dont you start a new tv network from scratch.

all hail the Newenham.

• Advertisement

Dontico wrote:
    ctn rocks.
    why?
    it gives students a chance to experiment with presenting editing and producing. it is doing something that has never benn done in ireland before. of course there are going to be problems at the start. but we're only students not feckin' rte or paramount comedy.
    anyone who doesnt like our shows, go make ones that are better.

pam rocks. she works hard. dont like what she does, why dont you start a new tv network from scratch.

all hail the Newenham.

:) Well, since it seems that all I would to have to do to start a 'new TV network' is take a DVD down to the Student bar and get them to play it, that might be a good idea... (BTW, DCU have been doing student TV every summer for yeeeaaars.)

Again I reiterate, my issue isnt with the programming, its with the fact that, by all accounts, CTN is not actually broadcasting anything, and cant be described as a 'TV network' until it starts broadcasting...

Are you Pamela under another alias?

muckraker wrote:

Are you Pamela under another alias?

no. pamela isnt that sad. i'm just a strong supporter of pamela.

Dontico wrote:
    no. pamela isnt that sad. i'm just a strong supporter of pamela.

OK Sorry.

You are from CTN though? Can you answer the questions above? Are you broadcasting or playing from DVDs?

muckraker wrote:
    OK Sorry.

You are from CTN though? Can you answer the questions above? Are you broadcasting or playing from DVDs?
    dont have a clue. i'm a presenter. any other business isnt mine.

Dontico wrote:
    dont have a clue. i'm a presenter. any other business isnt mine.

Hmm... I would have thought it would be of interest to a presenter whether or not their show was actually being broadcasted, and if the network they are on even exists... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

My main problem with CTN is that it hasn't even gotten off the ground after 1 & 1/2 years.

And before someone jumps in and says its up and running, I don't count a TV station that doesn't broadcast up and running!

Its been a long time, a lot of money and to be honest, too much hype and the ordinary student has seen practically nothing. It seems more of a vanity project than anything else, for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

It is off the ground, so to speak. Its not a fait accompli yet though

Im not involved with them, but I can recognise that broadcsating is actually the last step.

The ground: an idea for a campus TV network
    Step one is setting up: structure, license, plan, ppl, sponsorship
    Step two is production
    Step three broadcasting.

I cant see how you can jump from the ground floor straight to broadcasting.

These things take a lot of time and an incredible ammount of effort.
    Congrats to them on the work to date, I hope they succeed in establishing CTN firmly in UCD

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's speaks to the difference between the News at one with Seán O'Rourke on CD and the News at one with Seán O'Rourke on RTÉ Radio One at one o'clock.

Im not involved with them, but I can recognise that broadcsating is actually the last step.

Step two is production
    Step three broadcasting.

These things take a lot of time and an incredible ammount of effort.
    Congrats to them on the work to date, I hope they succeed in establishing CTN firmly in UCD

So 2 or so years isnt long enough for a TV station to 'get up of the ground' and start broadcasting? How long do you think it should take?

And either way, shouldnt they wait until it can broadcast before it 'launches'? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It's speaks to the difference between the News at one with Seán O'Rourke on CD and the News at one with Seán O'Rourke on RTÉ Radio One at one o'clock.
    I may be picking you up wrong here, but to compare CTN programmes to the News at One isn't really fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Step two is production
    Step three broadcasting.

Look, you're not listening.

No-one is arguing that you do these things in a phased, step process.

but when you have a huge LAUNCH NIGHT in O'Reilly Hall, one would expect you were ready to broadcast.

TheVan wrote:
    but when you have a huge LAUNCH NIGHT in O'Reilly Hall, one would expect you were ready to broadcast.
    Yes, one would.

But as I understand it, it's not broadcasting due to 'technical problems'. This should well have been sorted beforehand, but it wasn't. I'm pretty sure CTN themselves aren't the ones who will be sorting this - more the colleges AV and tv systems installers.

Just remember that none of the CTN people are professional. So expect a few hiccups along the way, and maybe cut them a little slack.

TheVan wrote:
    Look, you're not listening.

No-one is arguing that you do these things in a phased, step process.

Launch means to begin. (you could say it has others but they are obviously not physically propelling a studio through the air).

launch (lônch, länch)
    v. launched, launch·ing, launch·es
    v. tr.

1. To set in motion
    2. To set going; initiate: launch a career; launch a business venture.
    3. To introduce to the public or to a market

v. intr.

1. To begin a new venture or phase; embark
    2. To enter enthusiastically into something; plunge

Broadcasting is not the first step in launching a TV station.
    It is fair to say CTN have launched (successfully).

And just as an aside, are you sure that they are looped DvDs (though thats still immaterial to the meaning of the word launch).

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

cast_iron wrote:
    I may be picking you up wrong here, but to compare CTN programmes to the News at One isn't really fair.
    No, it isn't really fair. But then, I didn't compare CTN to news at one.

I was talking about the fact that the no one would be interested in a CD of a radio show, just like no one wants to watch a DVD of a TV channel. It was meiosis.

• Advertisement

Launch means to begin. (you could say it has others but they are obviously not physically propelling a studio through the air).

launch (lônch, länch)
    v. launched, launch·ing, launch·es
    v. tr.

1. To set in motion
    2. To set going; initiate: launch a career; launch a business venture.
    3. To introduce to the public or to a market

v. intr.

1. To begin a new venture or phase; embark
    2. To enter enthusiastically into something; plunge

Broadcasting is not the first step in launching a TV station.
    It is fair to say CTN have launched (successfully).

And just as an aside, are you sure that they are looped DvDs (though thats still immaterial to the meaning of the word launch).
    If I could, I'd ban you from dictionary.com.

There's no need to insult people's intelligence by resorting to a discussion of semantics every time someone disagrees with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

If I could, I'd ban you from dictionary.com.

lol kaptainredeys does like the ol dictionary.com alright.
    I just saw ctn filming the world aid thing down in the astra hall.The equipment did look v.basic though. Where they broadcasting the event live?

There's no need to insult people's intelligence by resorting to a discussion of semantics every time someone disagrees with you.
    In fairness, it appears that Redeye used the semantics in response to mucraker using them. I think that statement would be better aimed at mucraker.

I don't think CTN can be compared to the average tv/radio station. CTN intend playing a continuous loop of their programmes, with newer shows as they materialise. This is not how the average tv/radio station operates.

Even when it does start to "broadcast" across campus - it will probably be just a dvd loop in the a/v centre fed to the various parts of the campus. So, in effect, it will be exactly the same thing.

cast_iron wrote:
    In fairness, it appears that Redeye used the semantics in response to mucraker using them. I think that statement would be better aimed at mucraker.
    He was replying to TheVan, not Mucraker.

He was replying to TheVan, not Mucraker.
    Ok, well it could be argued either way as to who was being responded to if one reads back over it with a fine tooth comb. (Though the original dictionary.com reference came from mucraker, which was my main reference)

In any case, it's not really the point, is it?
    Are my other points still valid, or is it just the didacticism you are after?

No, it couldn't be argued either way; Redeye quoted TheVan and then purported to teach him what the word launch means (which is of itself a didacticism).

What you really mean to say is "why are you picking on KR when you didn't say anything to mucraker?" to which the answer is, I didn't see mucraker do that because I haven't read the thread in full because I have plenty of threads to read and final exams to boot.

You can take it that the "didacticism" was meant for everyone from here on in. (I'm really not sure I'm pointing out the irony of you using this dig at me enough. I told someone not to use semantics to prove a point, the implicit meaning there being that it's pedantic. And pedantry rubs me up the wrong way. Then you go and call me pedantic. Nonsense.)

muckraker wrote:
    So 2 or so years isnt long enough for a TV station to 'get up of the ground' and start broadcasting? How long do you think it should take?

And either way, shouldnt they wait until it can broadcast before it 'launches'? :confused:
    At a guess, seeing as its run by student volunteers, 3 or 4 years.

One thing they could do is spend a year or two making productions and work on lobbying the university to upgrade its infrastructure so as to allow them "broadcast" - transmit university wide, live even .

I dont think the university every would, especially in the absence of any real CTN presence.
    ANd I dont think many ppl would like to spend years working hard in the knowledge that they would graduate without seeing the fruits of their labour.

What they did do is make a couple of programmes and used the media available to them, the internet and the TV's around campus to broadcast.

And it is broadcasting,
    You used a definition with emphasis on the word transmit.
    There are many other ways to define the word:

1. to transmit (programs) from a radio or television station.
    2. to speak, perform, sponsor, or present on a radio or television program
    3. to cast or scatter abroad over an area, as seed in sowing.
    4. to spread widely; disseminate
    5. to indicate unwittingly to another (one's next action); telegraph

–verb (used without object)
    6. to transmit programs or signals from a radio or television station.
    7. to make something known widely; disseminate something.
    8. to speak, perform, sponsor, or present all or part of a radio or television program
    –noun
    9. something that is broadcast.
    10. a single radio or television program.
    11. the broadcasting of radio or television messages, speeches, etc.
    12. a single period of broadcasting.
    13. a method of sowing by scattering seed.
    –adjective
    14. (of programs) transmitted from a radio or television station.
    15. of or pertaining to broadcasting.
    16. cast abroad or all over an area, as seed scattered widely.
    –adverb
    17. so as to reach the greatest number of people by radio or television

I accept Hulla that quibbling over semantics isnt the art of skill debating but in this instance two arguments boil down to the interpretation of single words (broadcast for muckraker and launch for TheVan), so I think it only right to point out that their definition of the word is not the only one.

didacticism
    di·dac·tic /daɪˈdæktɪk/ [dahy-dak-tik]
    –adjective
    The act of being a dick

I'll keep my didacticism to a bear minimum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A launch party indicates two things, either is a promotion of something that has just started or it finished but is ready to be used by the public (or target demographic).

So, semantically the launch party could correctly apply to CTN in the first instance because it has started its work. If that was the intended point then why did they wait nearly 2 years from the beginning to have this 'launch party'. They are neither fully operational nor are they just beginning (far from it).

As launch parties go, its an odd time to have one.

At a guess, seeing as its run by student volunteers, 3 or 4 years.

One thing they could do is spend a year or two making productions and work on lobbying the university to upgrade its infrastructure so as to allow them "broadcast" - transmit university wide, live even .

I dont think the university every would, especially in the absence of any real CTN presence.
    ANd I dont think many ppl would like to spend years working hard in the knowledge that they would graduate without seeing the fruits of their labour.

What they did do is make a couple of programmes and used the media available to them, the internet and the TV's around campus to broadcast.

And it is broadcasting,
    You used a definition with emphasis on the word transmit.
    There are many other ways to define the word:

1. to transmit (programs) from a radio or television station.
    2. to speak, perform, sponsor, or present on a radio or television program
    3. to cast or scatter abroad over an area, as seed in sowing.
    4. to spread widely; disseminate
    5. to indicate unwittingly to another (one's next action); telegraph

–verb (used without object)
    6. to transmit programs or signals from a radio or television station.
    7. to make something known widely; disseminate something.
    8. to speak, perform, sponsor, or present all or part of a radio or television program
    –noun
    9. something that is broadcast.
    10. a single radio or television program.
    11. the broadcasting of radio or television messages, speeches, etc.
    12. a single period of broadcasting.
    13. a method of sowing by scattering seed.
    –adjective
    14. (of programs) transmitted from a radio or television station.
    15. of or pertaining to broadcasting.
    16. cast abroad or all over an area, as seed scattered widely.
    –adverb
    17. so as to reach the greatest number of people by radio or television

I accept Hulla that quibbling over semantics isnt the art of skill debating but in this instance two arguments boil down to the interpretation of single words (broadcast for muckraker and launch for TheVan), so I think it only right to point out that their definition of the word is not the only one.

didacticism
    di·dac·tic /daɪˈdæktɪk/ [dahy-dak-tik]
    –adjective
    The act of being a dick

I'll keep my didacticism to a bear minimum :)

This really is ludicrous. The only definitions there that disagree with my position is 'the scattering of seed', an technical a.g. definition that obviously does not apply here, and 'to make something known widely; disseminate something.', a general term which I think we can all agree is not useful when speaking of the transmission of television signals.I wasnt playing semantics by quoting dictionary.com, just pointing out something that seems to have been missed by many here.

There are 3 main critera of work that a TV station needs to fulfill to be a TV station:

The Broadcasting (transmission from a central location to multiple recievers) of programming,
    The production of programming,
    The presenting of programming,

The first critera is vital. Without it, a TV station is not a TV station. Its that simple. Otherwise, (as I mentioned before), I could turn up at your house with my home videos (programming) on DVD with an intro (presenting), show it to you and claim to be 'broadcasting' - obviously a ludicrous claim. When you give a mix CD you've made to a friend or play some music at a party - are you Radio Station?

CTN is claiming to be broadcasting in the Student Bar.I know for a fact that this is not true. It has also gained sponsors and members on the basis that it will be broadcasting throughout the campus - something that does not seem technically feasible at the moment. the 'launch' of CTN, was I believe supposed to be the 'launch' of the stations broadcasts, and not the launch of CTN the organisation - and no amount of semantic quibbling can change the fact that the broadcasting has not happened yet - and therefore the launch was a sham.

If you think that an entity that plays a looped DVD in one venue on campus (after 2 years of development that is) in any way qualifies as a TV station, then you either have very low expectations, or a fundamental misconception of how television works.

• Advertisement

muckraker wrote:
    The only definitions there that disagree with my position [on the term broadcasting] is ... 'to make something known widely; disseminate something.', a general term which I think we can all agree is not useful when speaking of the transmission

But you placed the emphasis on the word transmission. Im not redefining transmission, Im saying that is not as integral as you believe.
    the 'launch' of CTN, was I believe supposed to be the 'launch' of the stations broadcasts, and not the launch of CTN the organisation

What I think the launch was, was a marketing campaign. It was a showcase of the programming thus far, and a reassurance to their sponsors that things are progressing.
    In this respect I think it was a we're finally off the ground celebration. I dont think CTN has reached its pinnacle yet.
    - and no amount of semantic quibbling can change the fact that the broadcasting has not happened yet - and therefore the launch was a sham.
    No amount of anything will convince you of anything.
    If you think that an entity that plays a looped DVD in one venue on campus (after 2 years of development that is) in any way qualifies as a TV station, then you either have very low expectations, or a fundamental misconception of how television works.

Fundamentally, a Campus TV station needs to make origional programmes and broadcast them. I dont particularly care how.

What would satisfy me is 2 broadcasting periods a semester. Each broadcast having say 5-10 programmes and lasting a week.
    During this week the progrmmes would be on all the TV monitors throughout campus.
    A full library of all productions to date to be available on the website.
    TBH, most of the TV programes and films I watch are via the internet.

I dont care if they just loop DVDs in these venues, hook them all up via CCTV or get NASA to launch them their own personal satellite so long as the end result is the same.

Advertisement