Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Radiator Problem

• 20-11-2006 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭

I see there have been a few similar threads recently but i thought someone might know a specific solution for this problem;

A friend of mine has who has Gas powered central heating turned off one of their radiators for a couple of months. Now when she turned it back on it won't heat up. I told her to bleed it regularly but she says she has and that no air has been coming out.
    The radiator is downstairs. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

jonnner wrote:
    I see there have been a few similar threads recently but i thought someone might know a specific solution for this problem;

A friend of mine has who has Gas powered central heating turned off one of their radiators for a couple of months. Now when she turned it back on it won't heat up. I told her to bleed it regularly but she says she has and that no air has been coming out.
    The radiator is downstairs. Any suggestions?

Hi
    Presumably water is coming out ( system has enough water in it if upstairs rads are heating) = at least one of the two rad valves ( the "knob" and the "lockshield") is open. If one is closed then no heat. Chances are the second valve(yes the one she used) is not open. She only thinks it is. Remove knob, use small spanner/ pliers, etc on valve spindle. Like kitchen tap, washer stuck because she overtightened it "off" ??? Maybe a little WD40 ???
    t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

If the above post doesn't work turn all rads off except the one not heating and turn the heating on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Willah, I did get her to try that but no joy. Thanks anyway!

Tapest, your suggestion sounds just like something she would do:rolleyes: I will get her to check that. I presume in this case the pipe coming into the valve should be hot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Yes it should

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like a stuck thermostatic valve - are these fitted? They are usually marked 1 - 5 on the valve that you turn.

See this thread > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055011345

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

It was a stuck thermostatic valve and was easily sorted.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Advertisement